The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2009, 12:03 PM   #26
BigJimP

Price is an interesting debate ....

But you have to first break the conversation down by action style: Pumps, Semi-Autos, Over Unders and Side by Sides .....then it might mean something.

Pump guns: $ 150 - $ 800 new today. Are the less expensive guns dangerous - No. Will they break or have warranty issues - probably. Will some of the more expensive pump guns have issues - maybe. For me, the best pump gun on the market is Browning BPS hunter model retailing for around $ 500. But picking a gun is also about Fit - not just price. But when you go up in price - you will probably get more durable internal parts, better steel, better quality of machining, better quality chokes.... I have no need or use for a Tactical shotgun / but if I did want one - I'd go to Wilson Combat and order something or a Benelli M-4 (which is a semi-auto).

Semi-autos $ 300 - $ 2,000. Same issues. for me Benelli Super Sport is a good solid gun - retails new for about $ 1,875.

O/U's: $ 500 - $ 1,000 - guns with a lot of problems / $ 1,000 - $3,000 some good long term guns / $ 3k - $5K some upper end quality "Target" grade shotguns / $ 5K - $ 30 K some of the better guns made ( Kolar, Krieghoff, etc ). Personally, Browning XS Skeet with an adjustable comb / parallel comb is a very good overall gun, lots of adjustabilty to fit many shooters - listing for around
$ 3K today ( and its the gun I use for hunting birds, sporting clays and Skeet ).

SXS's same issues

Buy what Fits you first ( so it hits where you look ), buy the action type you like, buy what you can afford, buy what you think is a gun you will enjoy for many years - and you can't really go wrong.

I will also tell you my first shotgun was a 16ga bolt action / when I was about 8 yrs old .... My first "grown up" gun was a Browning BPS 12ga pump - and I used that gun for hunting and for Trap for many years - until I made the choice that I wanted a "long term - Target grade gun" and went to the Browning O/U's ......... so sometimes it takes a few years for things to settle out in your life ( high quality guns are expensive ..).

Last edited by BigJimP; November 16, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old November 16, 2009, 05:22 PM   #27
zippy13

Quote:
BigJimP
…high quality guns are expensive…
+1
  • You get what you pay for.
  • There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:18 PM   #28
JimL

Quote:
There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Actually I was more interested in guns when I posted!

JimL
Old November 16, 2009, 07:36 PM   #29
JimL

Quote:
But you have to first break the conversation down by action style
Of course a glance at my OP will indicate that I specified "generally." The $300 to "Thousands" were as general as you can get. I did think this was a shotgun sub-forum, so all the other categories are beside the point.

I'll start over with the points in my OP.

1. Generally speaking...
2. Cheap shotguns...
3. House guns...
4. Safety...

Now I'll add this. I don't think a long shotgun fits my original reference to house gun, because they are unwieldy. Now my last point.

5. Are these cheap short shotguns that they make to look like they belong with a SWAT team (assumedly they are supposed to scare a BG to death) worth having?

JimL

Last edited by JimL; November 16, 2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: wording
Old November 16, 2009, 08:49 PM   #30
jaguarxk120

Are they worth having? Don't now as I've never been in a situation where a gun of that type would be needed.

With all the verbage we've had on shotguns you would think someone out there has first hand knowledge in using a home defense shotgun.

All the posts I've read are about the guns, black plastic stocks black non reflective finishes, laser sights, mounted lighting, extended magazines, and even a bayonet mounted.

Not one time where someone said he/she fought off the barbaric herds of evel doers with their trusty Red Ryder Carbine (you'll shoot your eye out!!).
Old November 16, 2009, 09:02 PM   #31
oneounceload

Quote:
Now I'll add this. I don't think a long shotgun fits my original reference to house gun, because they are unwieldy. Now my last point.

5. Are these cheap short shotguns that they make to look like they belong with a SWAT team (assumedly they are supposed to scare a BG to death) worth having?
Long answer short - yes

From your original post, what "house guns" are you seeing for thousands of dollars? Typically, shotguns for home defense use tend to gravitate mostly to pump action guns. (When I first read your post, I was thinking house guns as in Sears, etc. branded guns from a major maker, not home defense per se)

Some folks also use semi's and coach guns for this purpose, but on this forum, the 870 and 500 seem to rule supreme.
Old November 17, 2009, 07:09 AM   #32
BigJimP

Ok, so by " House Guns " --- you meant guns to use in " the house " ... the term most of us would use is Tactical ......so at least now we know what you are talking about.

But my point is still the same - you get what you pay for. The Rem 870 is a good tactical shotgun / so is the Benelli M-4 .....

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

If you really think you need a Tactical Shotgun - the M-4 would be my choice, retailing for around $ 1,500 .....
Old November 17, 2009, 07:14 AM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
the term most of us would use is Tactical ......so at least now we know what you are talking about
I am trying my best to get folks away from the term "tactical" as that is a verb IMHO... I prefer to class the shorter shot guns simply as "home defense shotguns"... Tactical sounds so ICKY
Brent
Old November 17, 2009, 10:30 AM   #34
JimL

OK, just skimming the posts since my last one:

Nobody uses a shotgun to fight off hoards of BG's, so they are probably not worth having.

Home defense shotguns tend to be pump guns and they are worth having.

You should refer to home defense shotguns as Tactical, which puts you in the $1500 range.

Tactical isn't really the right word for facing BG's in your living room.

In my opinion some of the above have merit.

Thanks guys

JimL
Old November 17, 2009, 11:14 AM   #35
BigJimP

Come back again, glad we could help ........

Last edited by BigJimP; November 17, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old November 17, 2009, 01:13 PM   #36
oneounceload

Quote:
You should refer to home defense shotguns as Tactical, which puts you in the $1500 range.
More like the $500 range

As to using a shotgun to fight off hordes of zombies? I don't live in that type of neighborhood, so - no, I don't personally. Maybe someone else can address zombies better.....

You SHOULD refer to guns used for HD, no matter the type as HD guns, then everyone IS clear.......
Old November 18, 2009, 12:17 AM   #37
JimL

Quote:
Come back again, glad we could help ........
Don't laugh. One thing was made perfectly clear in this thread. As on every forum I've ever visited, there is no such thing as a consensus.

JimL
Old November 18, 2009, 03:15 AM   #38
zombieslayer

As one of the very few fans of pistol grip shotguns on here, I have to say my Pg mossberg was inexpensive and very handy. With a bit of practice, I'm happy to have a compact, powerful HD gun. My 2cents
Old November 18, 2009, 12:24 PM   #39
oneounceload

Quote:
Don't laugh. One thing was made perfectly clear in this thread. As on every forum I've ever visited, there is no such thing as a consensus
If there was, they'd be no need for the forum! A little dissent now and then is a healthy thing.......
Old November 22, 2009, 06:49 PM   #40
cwb

i just bought a brand new 870 exspress with 28in barrel and laminate stock for $300 otd

and the 870 is a work horse its a shotgun that i know i can pass down to my kids
Old November 30, 2009, 04:35 PM   #41
219er

Shotguns are like cars. There will never be a consensus. If we only had one choice, what would be the fun in that. Jim
Old November 30, 2009, 09:15 PM   #42
SAIGAFISH

money does matter

i heard an interesting thing the other day,'remember after you defend
your write or wrong the police will be taking your gun for awhile
or longer,sticking evidense tape lockers lots of other poeple
messing with the gun.so do the sieze 1200dollars or
300dollars home defense should be done with a gun that is
firmiliar and reliable.my 870 wont freeze fail or any other problems
goes boom no mater what
Old November 30, 2009, 10:05 PM   #43
Huntergirl

Yeah, reliable would be #1 priority. #2 though for me is that the shotgun have multiple purposes.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:54 PM   #44
SAIGAFISH

one for all

i have one 870 .you can get different barrels much cheaper
than other shot guns,when your going bird hunting put
on the long barrel when you get home put your 18in er
on want a slug gun put on the slug barrel.one thing i
would suggest is get the magnum reciever so you
have all the options of combos