The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2000, 01:20 PM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Got out to the range today, the Honeydew list was whittled down nicely, and the weather was agreeable.

After checking zero on the 30-30 and my muzzleloader, broke out the deer 870 and both Winchester 1 oz slugs and the El Cheapo Brennekes. I needed to rezero, I thought, because I had finally run out of my old duty slugs, which were the Winchesters.

Benching at a mere 25 yards had the Winchesters printing just where they were supposed to, and cloverleafing. Repeating at 50 yards(farther than almost all my shots at deer),same results. about a 2 1/2" 3 shot group. This was consistent with results with the last batch and quite sufficent for my hunting. Then it was time for the KO Brennekes....

25 yards same POI as the Winchesters, and the first group at 50 ran less than 2 inches edge to edge!! After a short pause, I repeated the 50 yard shooting,group ran a trilfe larger than 2", call it 2 3/8" edge to edge. At that point, I considered myself satisfied and packed it in.

I figure I'll use up the 20 or so Wnchesters I have, then use the KOs. The Winchesters have proved devastating on deer in the past, but I'm sure the KOs will work also.

As I left the range, I had to slow down for a deer that ran in front of the car. I regard that as an omen(G)....

BTW, I had gambled on the KOs, and I'm glad I did,still have about 90 of them left.

Of course, your results may vary, and ONLY range testing will show just what slug works best for you and in your use environment.
Old October 9, 2000, 08:03 AM   #27
cleanerPA

On a different note, can someone tell me how these slugs perform for defensive use?

Do they require a rifled slug barrel, or will my smoothbore work fine?

How is the recoil? I currently use Federal Tactical reduced recoil LE127RS slugs and the Remington reduced recoil slugs when the Federal are not available. Are these full power slugs? 2.75" shells, I assume?

For $1.99, that's a deal. I think I'll pay my local Dick's a visit.
Old October 9, 2000, 08:10 AM   #28
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, slugs have very limited capabilities in HD. Shot, from 8s to 000, has more. Tailor your load to the use environment.

These were shot from a smoothbore bbl with a rifled tube. I'd expect accuracy from a smoothbore would be not much worse, going on my personal experience.

Second, recoil was a bit stouter than the Winchesters I was using, but not much. Either kicks more than those Tactical loads.My guess is the KOs are faster.

I don't have much use for those tactical loads. First, I can handle the standard stuff well, second I do not need less penetration with slugs in my world, third, I use slugs for deer, not perps. However, if they fill a need for you, have at it.

They definitely are cost effective. I bought 100 of them for about $44.
Old October 9, 2000, 04:06 PM   #29
Dave P

For some really high power slugs, look at the Win SSP12: ~1900 fps & ~3000 ft/lbs!
http://www.winchester.com/products/index_shot.html

I have not tried these yet, but I bet they are a real kick

Bad news, about $10 for a box

Old October 9, 2000, 04:46 PM   #30
DaMan

Dave P, these are one of those sabot loads for rifled barrels only. Don't think they'll do very well in a smoothe bore.

Regards! DaMan
Old October 10, 2000, 06:17 AM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Those high speed slugs run about 3/4 oz, and while I don't feel like crunching the numbers, bet they pack LESS KE than the 1 oz, 1600 FPS ones I'm using. And while the trajectory may be flatter for the first hundred yards or so, the lighter slug will lose velocity faster out there.

However, for deer both ought to work well, there's no ineffective 12 ga slugs.
Old October 11, 2000, 06:31 PM   #32
mussi

Slugs are not bad for hunting bucks, but better leave these at home
when tangling with a bear, or even worse, a good european wild boar.

This is no BS.

We had a bunch of hunters out there last year, one hit a boar with
three 12 gauge slugs at about 60 meters. One shoulder shot, and then
two center mass shots. The boar went after the first party of hunters.
I didn't think it was possible. Yet I've seen it in my binos. However,
a good family was very quick handling the situation. Cocked the bolt
on his scoped Swiss Army sniper carabine (remember with Schmidt Rubin,
you can have the firing pin in a resting position), aimed 5 meters in
front of the running boar at maybe 450 meters.

The boar stood still, like somebody had nailed him to the ground.
Turned out the mil-spec bullet completely destroyed the brain of the
boar.

Skinning the animal, we found out the slugs were stopped cold dead by
the grease the beast had accumulated while ravaging Swiss agricultural
lands. We're talking about some 2900 Joules of energy that hit home on
the beast three times without hurting it too badly.

Ever since, instead of a slug gun as back weapon for hunting, I carry
a Glock 20 or a .44 Mag gun with FMJ ammo. I suspect my .300 WinMag
should be enough if I do my work.
Old October 11, 2000, 08:07 PM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My comment was about deer, Mussi. I find this interesting, considering many Alaskans use a short bbled pump with slugs, usually Brennekes, for bear protection.
Old October 13, 2000, 03:45 AM   #34
oberkommando

Dave P maybe you should try the Rem 3" slugger that puts out a 1oz slug at 1760fps, just be prepared for a little bit o recoil with these.

As to barrier as I stated earlier I used an old cast iron wash basin for testing various slugs and the 600 grain Brenneke out performed all the other soft slubs including a sabot form federal and remington, I think it was a fed hy shok and a rem copper solid with hollow point front, It even did more damage to the far side of the sink than a 243 100grain sierra soft point at around 3000fps. I believe the key to the brenneke is that the slug is a hardened alloy as compared to the soft american slugs.

On price I belive that you can get fifty low recoil fed tac loads for about 33 buck from ammoman.com including tax and shipping, unless you are from NJ in which case they cant ship to you.