The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 25, 2013, 06:00 AM   #1
wileybelch

Cleaning rod preferences/experience?

I would like some comments on cleaning rod preferences and experiences, both pros and cons. I have been using Parker-Hale rods for decades and recently acquired a Dewey in .22. The Dewey quickly began to flake off the plastic? coating and now there is a bare metal section just to the rear of the jag. The Parker-Hale design has withstood countless cleaning sessions with no significant deterioration. The Dewey rod with its black coating makes it impossible to see accumulating debris during multiple swipes with a brush. The pale yellow or gray PH rods make dirty solvent easily detected. Anybody recommend other brands of cleaning rods?? With pros and cons.
Thanks for comments in advance!
Old August 25, 2013, 06:24 AM   #2
krimmie

Cleaning rod preferences/experience?

My newest rod is a Birchwood Casey that's probably 10 years old; the others I use are unmarked and over 40 years old...all of them are holding up fine though.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:04 AM   #3
dahermit

I have made several of my own using drill rod which is annealed tool steel, to avoid using aluminum rods (aluminum + oxygen = aluminum oxide, an abrasive used in sandpaper.) The drill rods come in 36" lengths. The handles can be made by epoxying file tang handles on them. You need a lathe though, to drill and tap a hole for standard brass brushes and slotted tips, and other accessories.
Some folks are of the opinion that coated rods can/will become embedded with hard particles that will abrade the barrel.

Last edited by dahermit; August 25, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old August 25, 2013, 08:03 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

One piece coated Dewey rod for precision equipment.

Outers sectional brass rod for home cleaning.

Solid one piece brass range rods for muzzle loading.

Bore snake for field (compact and light).
Old August 25, 2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The coated rods are falling out of favor because of the shaving and flaking problem.
Most shooters today are using one-piece bare hardened stainless steel rods or the new carbon fiber rods.

Dewey stainless is about as good as it gets.
Old August 27, 2013, 06:12 AM   #6
Bart B.

If one uses a proper cleaning rod guide in the receiver, coated rods will not have their coating scraped off. A "must" thing to do with rimfire 22's if one wants to maintain their barrel quality. Guides help with centerfire rifles, too.

Bare metal cleaning rods made with stuff softer than stainless steel allow abrasive grit to get imbedded in them; that wears away barrel steel. Such metals include aluminum and brass.

Tags
rhb