The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
William T. Watts

Speer product #2041 (30/30) bullets

This is a conversation with a Speer representative 09-08-10 18:25 which is as follows

I received Speer bullets 2 bx (#2041) ordered from WholesaleHunter 09-01-10, I loaded 10 rounds before I noticed they were dinged up quite a bit. I contacted WholesaleHunter support person (Theresa) about the quality of the bullets received, she suggested I contacted Speer customer service. I called Speer Customer Service and left a message that I had a problem with one of their products and please call me. I just finished talking to a factory rep that suggusted the bullets I received may be 2nds and not 1st quality, by the time I got off the phone with this man I was furious. I told him I had Speer boxed bullets that were factory sealed that were first quality, his response they could still be 2nds but he would check and get back to me. I can say I was less than thrilled with his response. If there is a follow up I will post the results.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; September 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old September 8, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2
farmerboy

It's sad to say, but so many company's now days seem to care more about making a buck and could care less about customer service. Or I hate it when you do have to call and talk to a rep. you cant hardly understand their english when the person who you are speaking with might be in India, China or wherever but are doing their business here in the UNITED STATES. Hopefully this matter will get worked out soon. Honestly, reasons like this are mainly the reason I now stick with Hornadys and Speer, So far I have never had any problem what so ever with their products! Smith & Wesson with their excellent warranty and also RCBS for thiers as well. Wish you well in your experience and in the end you will have to wonder if you plan on doing business with a company like this..
Old September 10, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3
William T. Watts

Speer product #2041 (30/30) bullets

I did not speak to Mr. Getman when contacted by Speer yesterday (he and I crossed swords in a manner of speaking on my initial contact), the Speer Customer service lady (Linda who was most gracious) concluded that the information I supplied was factual (the bullets were sold by a retail store and were purchased from a wholesaler) would ship me 2 additional boxes of Speer product #2041. I still find (Mr Getman's) assertion that because the bullets were boxed, (factory sealed), did not necessarily make them 1st quality very troubling. William
Old September 10, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4
PA-Joe

If they were seconds the box would be marked as such.
Old September 10, 2010, 12:05 PM   #5
WIL TERRY

Define "dinged up quite a bit".

Old September 10, 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Factories can screw up sometimes. New guy picks up the wrong bin or boxes, etc. Main thing is they were willing to make it right. Sounds like you get to keep the seconds, too. Maybe do a little load work-up and find out if they actually shoot any worse or not? Might prove informative. Usually, a dinged edge at the base will throw a bullet off, but if the damage is all toward the front of the bullet, it can often still shoot surprisingly well.

"The base steers the bullet."
Harry Pope
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 10, 2010, 08:45 PM   #7
William T. Watts

Wil Terry

Most of the dings were above the cannelure (well defined dents easily seen as the bullet is rotated in my hand, additionally there were deep scratches present also). Uncle nick is correct I can compare the bullets side side and see if there is a accuracy issue, interesting!! I will retain most of the bullets but will send back samples to their factory Rep.. William
Old September 16, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8
William T. Watts

One last note, of the bullets weighed (RCBS 750 electronic scale) 167.1-170.1 gr. Never have I seen more than a .5 gr extreme spread from lightest to heaviest in any other projectile. William