The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 15, 2009, 09:54 AM   #1
jgcoastie

Well Here We Go... Wish Me Luck...

Well the day has finally arrived gentlemen!!! Bear season officially opens today!!! Too bad I have to work and I won't be able to go until this weekend, not to mention the fact that we still have a good bit of snow on the ground and nobody has seen any bears out and about, but hey; it's just the option of being able to go that I'm getting excited about!!! This will be my first year to hunt a Kodiak Brownie, and I cannot wait...

Wish me luck fellas, I'll need it... 30 days left in the season, the countdown starts now...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
taylorce1

Good luck and we expect pictures of a bear!
Old April 15, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Sportdog

You lucky guy! What is your weapon of choice for this hunt? Have a great hunt and I wish you the best of luck.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
comn-cents

Smack a big one
Old April 15, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5
bigthrills

The kodiak bear is on my list to hunt after seeing a video on versus good luck and hopefully you bring home a yogi
Old April 15, 2009, 12:36 PM   #6
jgcoastie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good wishes. You bet I'll post pics if I get one...

Quote:
You lucky guy! What is your weapon of choice for this hunt? Have a great hunt and I wish you the best of luck.
My hunting buddy will use his Savage .300 Win Mag, I'll be using my Browning BAR MkII Safari in .30/06 Springfield loaded with 220gr SP's. I might wind up borrowing a .45/70 Guide Gun, but we'll see...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I wish you the best of luck. Post pictures if you get one.
Old April 15, 2009, 01:06 PM   #8
FrontSight

God be with you, to keep you safe & guide your bullet true
Old April 15, 2009, 01:09 PM   #9
bwheasler

Work

Work, instead bear hunting. I don't know, I think I would have been feeling ill(cough,cough) "Skin this bear greenhorn, and I'll fetch you another"
Old April 15, 2009, 10:15 PM   #10
wyobohunter

I bet they'll be out & about real soon. A guy I know that does skulls & bones got a blackie in the other day. Good luck.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:36 PM   #11
jgcoastie

I suspect they'll be out in force in a couple of weeks... All this late snow has pushed their hibernation clocks back a bit... Sure do hope it warms up a little soon... Kinda tired of snow/rain/sleet/ice in April... Seems like spring came a little earlier last year... I guess that's proof that global warming isn't all it's cracked up to be...
Old April 16, 2009, 10:25 AM   #12
botebum

Is that the season for the island? I thought the season opened a week or two ago in other parts of the state. I have a friend in Sitka and he mentioned it.

Doug
Old April 16, 2009, 04:08 PM   #13
Trapp

Make sure you save the big one for me. Maybe next years season when I am up there you can show me where he is!!
Old April 16, 2009, 04:21 PM   #14
jgcoastie

Quote:
Make sure you save the big one for me. Maybe next years season when I am up there you can show me where he is!!
Hopefully he (his hide anyway) will be stretched out in the middle of my living room floor...
Old April 16, 2009, 08:51 PM   #15
OLNfan

ohh there out their...some MAY be hybernating still but some are certinaly out and about cause there hungry!!
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old April 24, 2009, 03:17 PM   #16
jgcoastie

Update:

1. Go-to bear gun is now a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe in .300 Wby Mag shooting 220gr RNSP's... It's shooting right at 1/2 MOA at 150yd zero.

2. Found where a decent one (9-10') is making his rounds... Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow...
Old April 24, 2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Hopefully he (his hide anyway) will be stretched out in the middle of my living room floor..."

My ex-FIL had a buddy who'd gotten a nice black bear. Did the rug thing. His bird dog loved it.

Fleas.
Old April 24, 2009, 10:16 PM   #18
jrothWA

Hi JPCoasties, whan you have time..

care to comment on suitability for using 7mmMAg (&bullet type) for bear??
Thanks.

Good Luck.
Old April 24, 2009, 11:38 PM   #19
Swampghost

Art, my first wife really loved the Brownie rug in front of the fireplace.

OOPS! the thread is deviating, time to get back on course.
Old April 25, 2009, 12:21 AM   #20
B. Lahey

Quote:
my first wife really loved the Brownie rug in front of the fireplace.
If you think that was high-quality, try a polar bear rug.

Ah, yes. True luxury.

Too bad we had to sell it. My grandfather left more debts than assets after a few decades of hunting around the globe and some of the trophies had to be auctioned off.

Still have the skull, though...

Good luck JG!
Old April 25, 2009, 01:59 AM   #21
jgcoastie

Quote:
care to comment on suitability for using 7mmMAg (&bullet type) for bear??
Thanks.
Great for black bear, good for lower 48 brown bear, decent for Kodiak coastal brown bear... If you're going to be dealing with the recoil of a 7mm Mag, step up to a .300 or .338 Win Mag, negligible difference in recoil in most rifles...

As far as bullet type... The heaviest you can find... Velocity isn't as much of a concern, penetration is paramount though... Heavier bullet = more penetration... I'd go with Barnes 175gr TSX FB and find a loading that my rifle likes and cycles without problem... I wouldn't mind the Barnes 160gr MRX BT, except the heaviest available at this time is 160gr... The TSX FB offers a sectional density that surpasses that of a 200gr .30 cal of the same bullet type...
Old April 26, 2009, 09:03 PM   #22
jrothWA

JGCoastie...

Tango Yankee!
Stepped up to 7mmMag after having doubts about my .308W using 165SPBT over 42.7 gr 748. Good for whitetails (Michigan) but unsure about Washington critters, and hopefully Alaska.