The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1
stump shooter

Chrony use and lighting indoors

Do any chronograph users have any tricks on using their Chrony's indoors in an entirely flourescent lighted range? Aside from buying the Shooting Chrony lighting kits has anyone tried other sources? Floor lamps, flashlights, Cylume, Krill lights ???

I need to dial in some new handgun loads and it's a pain in the but to drive over an hour to my outdoor range. Plus, the weather is miserable
I have used my Beta at this indoor range but I have to go very late at night when I'm alone and can use it down range where there are a couple incandescent bulbs that will get it function. It's a pain in the butt, dragging chairs down as makeshift range tables, etc. Although I'm still a safe distance from the backstop it's just a hassle.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
rwilson452

nope no tricks, the problem with florescent lighting is it flickers are a 120 cycle rate and drives the sensors nuts.

Do any chronograph users have any tricks on using their Chrony's indoors in an entirely flourescent lighted range? Aside from buying the Shooting Chrony lighting kits has anyone tried other sources? Floor lamps, flashlights, Cylume, Krill lights ???

I need to dial in some new handgun loads and it's a pain in the but to drive over an hour to my outdoor range. Plus, the weather is miserable
I have used my Beta at this indoor range but I have to go very late at night when I'm alone and can use it down range where there are a couple incandescent bulbs that will get it function. It's a pain in the butt, dragging chairs down as makeshift range tables, etc. Although I'm still a safe distance from the backstop it's just a hassle.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

As you've discovered, fluorescent light 60 Hz half cylce flicker makes it useless with a chronometer. What you most likely want is a light bar of infra-red light emitting diodes. The Chrony kit looks like incandescent lamps that have to be plugged into line power, though you could get a motorcycle battery and a cheap inverter to make use of that. The plus side of that kit is it is cheap. The CED M2 chronograph has an IR LED skyscreen kit you might be able to adapt? It has a battery pack for portability available. The downside is that it is a good deal more expensive than the chrony adapter. It is probably a better choice if you are ready to replace your chronograph altogether and want to move up to the CED. If you are ambitious, you could try making your own using IR LEDs, but it will take at least some electronics background to do the experiments needed to get it working.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 14, 2008, 02:26 PM   #4
stump shooter

Unclenick, I had actually thought of having a friend build one like you mentioned, Radio Shack style.

I do like the sound of the new Shooting Chrony LED kit but I'm feeling cheap right now Maybe the Jolly Fat Man will bring one
The incandescent kit is limiting IMHO.

If the Chrony LED light fixture will run directly off of a cigarette lighter jack (see the Shooting Chrony LED lamp accesories) I should not need a converter except for using 120v power sources, right? Just a small 12v battery and an appropriate jack for the fixture???

One thing I've managed to accumulate several of are 120v power adapters for household appliances like radios and answering machines, etc.
Old December 14, 2008, 03:06 PM   #5
amamnn

I have a friend whose trick was to get the indoor diffusers cheap on gunbroker.com