The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2007, 11:10 PM   #1
b00

home cast 12ga slug help

I am looking to cast some 12ga slugs to use in a non rifled shotgun barrel. I would like to beable to use standard trap hulls, wads, and a star crimp. What mold would work best for this. All shooting will be 100 yards and under.
Old April 11, 2007, 11:32 PM   #2
cloudcroft

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...w.html#shotgun

-- John D.
Old April 12, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Mr Beta

Correct me if I'm wrong but you still have to use the magnum hulls, right? Or do you?
Old April 12, 2007, 01:07 AM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but you still have to use the magnum hulls, right? Or do you?
Nope. You can use standard trap hulls and wads. The lee slug mold comes with a data sheet with info about hull types, powders, and ammount.

Take a look at the lyman sabot slug also;http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=778041
It too can be loaded in standard trap hulls and wads. It is a hollow base, so it can be used in a smoothbore.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 12, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5
WCW

The Lyman shotshell reloading manual 4th edition also gives plenty of load data utilizing a fold crimp on standard 2 3/4 inch hulls with three types of slugs. I've never loaded slugs, but the buckshot loads I have used from this manual have been great.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:42 PM   #6
b00

Looking thru info and prices the lee is extremely inxpensive, but it talks about some drive key for rifled barrels. Will this slug work good in a smooth bore??

Also I looked at the lyman sabot slug and it looks nice too. Has anyone had any luck with firing this one thru a smooth bore .
Old April 12, 2007, 08:36 PM   #7
TEDDY

slugs

b00:the lee uses shotcups to hold slug.the lyman uses sabots to hold slug
the lee does not rely on expansion for slug in bore.
Old April 12, 2007, 09:59 PM   #8
Rimrod

The "sabot" used for the Lyman slugs is a regular shotcup, and it uses a star crimp also. Just make sure you use the right mould as they also make a Foster type slug mould.

The Lyman sabot slug is somewhat modeled off of the original BRI slug but with a larger dia. They shoot well out of a smooth bore, I've never used the Lee mould so I can't give a comparison.
Old April 13, 2007, 01:16 AM   #9
snuffy

Here's my first attempt at loading some of the lee key slugs. These are the 7/8 ounce, they also make a 1 oz. They worked okay, never ran them through an actual accurate slug gun at a target, just a imp cyl beretta with a bead.

They call it a "key" slug because the rib that you see accross the bottom of the slug is the key. It reinforces the skirt of the slug, AND gives the wad something to bite into as it's being accelerated.

The lyman "sabot" slug is much heavier. Those I cast from pure lead weigh almost exactly 1 3/16 ounce. I'll take some pics this weekend of the lyman slugs. I just loaded some in new fiochi clear hulls. Pretty impressive!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 13, 2007, 02:47 AM   #10
Mr Beta

anybody make a rifled slug mold?
Old April 13, 2007, 08:17 AM   #11
cloudcroft

b00,

You're welcome.

-- John D.
Old April 14, 2007, 10:02 PM   #12
snuffy

Here's the two loads I just made up. I also shot them today, I'll scan the target and put it here too. The top row is the Aquilla AQ slug. It's available from Midway and ballistic products. The bottom row is the lyman sabot slug. A little hard to see it through the AA red wad, but it's in there!

Here's the group from the AQ slug. The lyman slugs just did NOT shoot well at all! Instead of a 2" group, they were 2 FEET! This was at 50 yards from a caldwell "the rock" rest. The gun is my 870 slug gun, a smooth bore no choke 24 " barrel, scoped with a 4X tasco.

I need to think a while about just what went wrong with the Lyman sabot rounds. It was loaded with 44.0 blu dot. I noticed a lot of muzzle flash, also a lot of unburned powder. I might try a faster powder next time, maybe a different wad too.

Old April 14, 2007, 10:15 PM   #13
snuffy

Quote:
anybody make a rifled slug mold?
If by "rifled" you mean the angled slots on the side of a foster slug, then the answer is no. Lyman does make a mold for a close copy of the standard foster type of slug. But it's sides are smooth.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=481595

These are bore size, so you need to roll crimp them. You also need a composite wad column, BPGS over powder wad, card wads, and fiber filler wads.

Old April 14, 2007, 10:19 PM   #14
cheygriz

Y'all agonna cast some "punkin balls?"

I always did want to try that, and somehow never got around to it!

Let us know how it works out!
Old April 24, 2007, 02:26 AM   #15
cloudcroft

cheygriz,

I do...I use the Lyman .690 round ball mould for those.

A smooth-bore shotgun is essentially a musket anyway...

-- John D.
Old April 24, 2007, 06:51 PM   #16
TEDDY

slugs rifled

lyman made a swage die to rifle their foster slugs.testing showed the rifling did not work so they dropped it.the slugs work on the weight in front