The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which one
Glock 26 119 61.34%
Beretta PX4 Subcompact 9mm 75 38.66%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 28, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
EnderW23

Glock vs. Beretta

Ok i have narrowed it down between two pistols for CCW and i would like your opinions.
1. Beretta PX4 subcompact 9mm

2. Glock 26

Last edited by EnderW23; February 28, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old February 28, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Donovan655

As much as a beretta fan that I am, I'd still side with the glock 26...which is what I carry.
Old February 28, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
threegun

I'm a Glock man. However both your final choices are fine fighting handguns. I own a PX4 full size and it would be my second choice should my Glocks ever need replacing.

Glock should get the edge for several reasons. Light short consistent trigger. Lower bore axis. Faster trigger reset.

Plus they are simply a breeze to work on, repair should they ever break, customize, etc. Aftermarket parts galore.
Old February 28, 2011, 06:57 PM   #4
kylen

I am thinking my next purchase is a Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size. 45.... between the 2 you mentioned Beretta. Hands down.
Old February 28, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Hog Hunter

I looked at a px4 today as my pops was purchasing a new ruger red lable. Sweet shotgun!!! It was a compact and it seemed to be a solid pistol. Never shot one and dont prefer neither for CC unless its cold outside where I have to wear a jacket. Both are on the bulky side. I carry my G17 sometimes depending on where im going. Otherwise I carry a S&W airweight.
My vote would go to the Glock just cause ive never shot a px4 or handled one that much, prolly no help sorry...
Old February 28, 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
franco45

PX4 all the way. Glocks don't feel right in my hand. And yes I have shot several. I will be getting my Storm full size out of layaway soon.
Old February 28, 2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Daryl

Quote:
The Glock 26 is the most popular carried CCW ever to be made. So much for that it don't feel right in the hand stuff. More people feel is does than not. If you are going to Glock Bash just be honest about it and say you don't like Glocks. One mans trash is another man's treasure and always has been.
I'm not sure the G26 is "the most popular carried CCW ever to be made". A J-frame S&W might very well surpass it in popularity.

I don't care for the G26 myself, but I'd probably choose it over the Beretta. Both are solid guns, so choose what works for you.

And I'm not a Glock basher, since I carry a G23 daily.

Daryl
Old February 28, 2011, 09:50 PM   #8
TailGator

You are on the track of two really good pistols. I carry a Glock 26 and like it. The one complaint that you hear most about the G26 is that it is thick. The respective websites list the widths as 1.18" for the G26 and 1.4" for the Beretta, so if the Glock is thick, the Beretta is . . . ?

But Beretta makes some really nice handguns. If you like the feel of Beretta, don't let us yahoos talk you out of it.
Old March 1, 2011, 12:56 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

They're both great guns man..I have a Glock 27 the .40 love that. I've shot the Beretta and wish I can get that right now...I have a massive list of "wants" though. Both great guns...I think I'd go with the Beretta though.

I wanted a .45 hi-cap....I though either G21 or XD45... I have two Glock's and wanted something differece to give a shot. So went with the XD45

All up to you in the end. Head out to your local gun shop and feel them both. That usually settles it for me.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:01 AM   #10
EdInk

I easily chose the Glock but compare the XD subcompact too.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:39 AM   #11
Ludarue

I voted for the Beretta PX4. I own one and I absolutely love it. A bit on the bulky side for CC, but it feels GREAT in your hand and when shooting. That's why I didn't go with the Glock. I wanted something with more of an ergo feel to it, and I am glad that I did.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
The S&W has it's own set of problems:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/smith-wesson_dark.htm
I'm not a big time gun writer and I haven't seen as many examples as that writer but over the past 45 years I've owned plenty of S&W revolvers in J,K and N frames and still do. Never had one yet that wasn't well made and finished. To the OP, I'd favor the Glock over the Beretta.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Hog Hunter

On the S&W thing... When I was looking at getting an airweight i actually found one that the front sight was crocked on and happend to be the one that I put on layaway. I noticed it when I got it out. They gave me a new one and knocked some money off for the incovinance, sent the pistol back to S&W and they sent them a new one. Yeah the quality is prolly goin down hill but answer me this, whos quality isnt goin down hill these days. EVERYTHING cost more and is made cheaper and faster than ever.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:49 AM   #14
group17

Just like Donovan655 I like both brands but the PX4 sub compact is a little to thick to carry. glock 26.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderW23
Glock vs. Beretta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok i have narrowed it down between two pistols for CCW and i would like your opinions.
1. Beretta PX4 subcompact 9mm

2. Glock 26
PX4 Subcompact is not the same as the other PX4. No rotating barrel for the subcompact. Isn't the rotating barrel a huge part of what makes the px4 stand out?

Glock 26 is another glock. Same parts as all the others, only sized differently here and there for different calibers and different size catargory.

Go for the Glock. Beretta's a fat, stout little shooter but it's like concealing a baseball in your waist or where ever.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:54 AM   #16
COSteve

For CCW and if you're stuck on 9mm, then the Glock 19 is a better choice than either of your selections. You see, what prints when carrying is the butt of the grip, not the slide length. Yes, the 26's is shorter than the 19's but most people add a pinky finger mag extension so they can get a good hold on the thing. When they do, they've just made the 26's effective grip length the same as the 19's, however, they don't have the mag capacity, sight radius, or velocity of the 19.
Old March 1, 2011, 12:35 PM   #17
microman

PX4 over the Glock

I have shot a few compact Glocks, but I just don't
like the feel,grips etc.
Old March 17, 2011, 10:55 PM   #18
RangerHAAF

I'm sure the Glocks are a favorite of a lot of people but I've never liked their hammerless design or the double action only operation they have; I've shot both pistols and I just like to see a hammer working when I shoot. So my choice are the Berettas.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old March 18, 2011, 12:29 AM   #19
iMagUdspEllr

I don't like DA/SA guns for carry. If you don't care or if you like DA/SA guns then I still don't like the sub compact PX4 because it doesn't have the rotating barrel of its larger siblings... one of the main advantages of the PX4 series. Also... not much aftermarket for the Beretta compared to the Glock 26.
Old March 18, 2011, 12:48 AM   #20
TXAZ

Which feels better in your hand?

If they're that close, which feels better as you squeeze the trigger?

Pick that one.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 18, 2011, 05:08 AM   #21
RangerHAAF

It seems that this comes down to one's personal preference for choosing one of the two different type operating systems demonstrated here as well as the different ergonomics offered by each respective gun. I suggest that you handle and shoot both of them to make an informed and customized decision. Check back and let us know what you chose.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old March 18, 2011, 05:59 AM   #22
Glockeroo

Get the G26 and add a GAP floorplate to all of your mags. You will not look any further afterwards. The Glock sickeness will only get worse. I have 3, working on a 4th.

GAP floorplates at www.concealablecontrol.com

Old March 18, 2011, 06:15 PM   #23
AustinTX

Quote:
The Glock sickeness will only get worse.
Definitely not my experience. Buying and shooting a Glock 17 cured my very brief Glock sickness very quickly.
Old March 20, 2011, 12:06 AM   #24
gamboolman

My CCW is a G-26, and I have three others for the wife and kids..
I carry Glocks because they are reliable and we live in the Texas heat, sweat and rain -
Old March 20, 2011, 01:02 AM   #25
dawgfvr

My duty weapon is a Beretta M9...I always enjoy getting home to my ccw which is the Glock 26.

Go with the Glock...any glock...just go and get the Glock.

Tags
glock ccw