The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 11, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
popeyespappy

Remington Model Seven versus Model 700

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between a Remington model Seven and a model 700? I ask because I have an opportunity to pick up a lightly used model Seven CDL in 260 Remington for a good price but I am not familiar with the model Seven at all.

Thanks
Old January 11, 2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Sodbuster

The model Seven is a compact rifle. According to Remington, it's 2-3/8" shorter in overall length, the action is 1/2" shorter than the model 700 action, difference in receiver cut and barrel contour. At 6-1/2 lbs the Seven is lighter than the 700. The CDL is one nice looking rifle, whether in 700 or Seven. And that's a great caliber, too. I'm not sure of the ballistics of the 260 out of a 20" barrel.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 12, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
j.chappell

Regardless of what many will tell you the Model 7 is merely a smaller Model 700. I prefer the Model 7 to the 700 in all calibers that are offered in both. The Model 7 fits the short action calibers much better than the 700 action.

I have a few and they are some of my favorite rifles. My new favorite this year has been the Model 7 Predator in 243 Win. I had it full length and pillar bedded, topped it with a Leupold 2.5-8, and what a rifle it is, I am more than pleased. So much so that it is the only rifle that went with me hunting for whitetail this season.

J.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:38 PM   #4
mnshortdraw

I have both models. My model 7 is a great little rifle. My only complaint is the cheesy synthetic stock flexes too much for great accuracy. I bedded my action and floated the barrel with outstanding results. They are a nice lightweight mountain rifle.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
cottontop

I have several 700s and a model 7 in 260. I may catch flack for this but here we go...I think the fit and finish of the model 7 exceeds the 700. The action is silky smooth,great factory trigger pull, and with the 260 cartridge...very accurate. I tend to reach for the model 7 every time I open my safe.
Old January 12, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6
tINY

The model 7 has a shorter magazine than the 700 SA. More importantly, the rear receiver bridge is shorter. It needs a different rear scope base than the 700.

You can put short-chambered 700 barrels on it as it shares the threads with the 700.

It balances and carries very nicely....

-tINY

Old January 12, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
FALPhil

+1, tINY.

The action on the Model 7 CDL is the same action as the XP-100 from the custom shop and the XR-100 single shot varmint rifle.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Alleykat

Annnnnd. The Model 7 trigger adjusts exactly like the 700 trigger; easily accomplished by a consumer with "walking-about" sense.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Legionnaire

Can't add much to what's been said. My preference is for the Model 7. HS Precision makes a great sporter stock to replace the factory stock; spendy, but worth it if you're building a custom hunting rifle. I have Sevens in both .243 and .308, both with Leupold compact 2-7x scopes on them. They are my preferred walk-around hunting rifles.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:36 AM   #10
onehitwonder

I have both and I like the model 7 in my lighter calibers. I also have brownings and I think that the browning a bolt line fits me the best. with that said the model 7 feels a lot like a browning in weight and length. I love em all. model 7s are great guns. get one that feels the best for u. some people think they are to small.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:45 AM   #11
The Lovemaster

Good stuff about the Model 7 vs. the M700. I've always been a M700 man.

Google "Lon Horiuchi" before you buy an H-S Precision stock, since he now endorses them.
Old January 14, 2009, 01:51 PM   #12
tINY

I haven't heard that name in a while, quite an assasin. Perhaps they could get John Lee Malvo to endorse any AR-15 products they make....

-tINY

Old January 14, 2009, 02:07 PM   #13
j.chappell

Quote:
Google "Lon Horiuchi" before you buy an H-S Precision stock, since he now endorses them.
Like I have stated in the past.....

Quote:
You know I understand people not wanting to support H&S now but really, if we shooters boycotted every company that does something wrong or not in line with our beliefs we wouldn’t do much of anything.

Really, how many of you drink Pepsi or go to McDonalds? They are two very big contributors to the anti-gun movement. Your frustration would be better directed at those companies that directly contribute to the anit-gun groups than focus on a company who hired someone of questionable background.
Is he guilty of the accused, probably. Is he a dirt bag, yes. Is he big enough cause to boycott a great company, I don’t think so.

If you feel that way fine but in that event you may want to look into all the doings of the companies you do support as well as your employer and its holding company if it has one. Also if you belong to a union you may want to look into its contributions to the anti's, believe it or not many labor union organizations contribute to anti-gun groups.

J.
Old January 14, 2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Horseman

Quote:
If you feel that way fine but in that event you may want to look into all the doings of the companies you do support as well as your employer and its holding company if it has one. Also if you belong to a union you may want to look into its contributions to the anti's, believe it or not many labor union organizations contribute to anti-gun groups.

J.
Too true! Finally, the voice of reason. Too many are quick to judge when the things they sometimes buy and support hurt us.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:15 PM   #15
nemoaz

Hmmmm. Maybe I should buy an H&S. I didn't know Horiuchi was endorsing them.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:15 PM   #16
kvd

Greetings All,

I’m new to this forum and found this relatively old thread through a google search.

Can anyone elaborate on possible reasons why one almost never sees any custom gunsmithing to true up a Remington Model Seven action as opposed to the Model 700 short and long actions. Are here inherent differences between the two that would make it not worthwhile or are they just not a popular starting point for a custom rifle?

Ken
Old September 18, 2011, 04:39 PM   #17
jmr40

While they are similar, there are far fewer custom parts available for the model 7. There are probably more options available for the 700 rifles than any other brand.

If you want a hunting rifle the 7 is a good choice. For a target/tactical rifle I'd stick with the 700.
Old September 18, 2011, 05:30 PM   #18
gak

A mention was made by one poster--to paraphrase--"not liking the cheesy synthetic stock," suggesting by inference this is inherently how a Model 7 comes. Not so by a long shot, as the OP has already discovered the top grade CDL variant (introduced four or so years ago in the 7), a trim/finish level shared with the 700 CDL.
Old September 18, 2011, 06:04 PM   #19
kvd

Thank you for the quick response jmr40 and gak. I agree about the availability of aftermarket parts and accessories – tons for the 700 actions – almost nothing for the Model Seven.

Probably better to start with a Remington 700 short action. Saw a Model Seven in 7mm SAUM (short action ultra mag) with a laminated stock and got to wondering what the difference – if any – was between the two Remington actions.

Ken
Old September 18, 2011, 06:50 PM   #20
mrawesome22

Id jump all over that. Great cartridge. Great gun. If the price is right buy it!
Old September 19, 2011, 09:07 AM   #21
Bailey Boat

I wanted a Mod Seven in 308 but couldn't find one so instead of crying in my beer I found a used 700 SA, 24" barrel in excellent condition and a used ADL synthetic stock, como'ed and also in good condition. I replaced the spongy 1" recoil pad with a 1/2" Pachmeyer rifle pad to shorten the LOP. I cut the 24" barrel to 20" and mounted a Nikon 3x9x40 w/BDC in Leupold 2 pc bases and Leupold rings, VIOLA!!!!
I have a 6# 14oz .308 that measures 38.5" overall..... More than one way to skin a cat.....
I've only had it to the range once for load testing but using 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 40.0 grains of 3031 at 2500 fps I'm getting one hole groups at 100. What more could I ask for?????? That should take a normal whitetail shouldn't it????
Old September 19, 2011, 11:39 AM   #22
bamaranger

model 7

Pretty much all covered.

Note that a Model 7 action is smaller and ligher than a 700 "short action".

If you are searching for the shortest lightest combo you can find in the Rem family, apples to apples it will be in the Model 7 line.

Where it gets interesting is when they combine the new wonder short fat cals in the Model 7 action and a full length bbl, to get near mag performance
from a package considerably lighter as long as you are careful w/ what optics one mounts.

No need for the above in my hunting, but if one is way up or way out, it figures in.

A model seven in .260, 7mm-08, or .308 with 20" tube and moderate scope so would seem a dandy GP whitetail rifle to me.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:47 PM   #23
LSnSC

Its one of my favorite hunting rifles. The only problem with the Model 7 is it is shorter then the 700 short action and uses a very short magazine , Same as the 40X and XP100. When I set the OAL of my reloads .010 of the lands (what it really likes), the rounds will not fit in the magazine. It is a tack driver as a single shot, average with rounds set to magazine length.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:57 PM   #24
Prof Young

Maybe mine was a lemmon, but . . .

Shooters
I owned a model 7 chambered in 223 for a couple of years. It's accuracy was fine, but I had a lot of problems with mine in that it did not chamber the round smoothly. When you worked the action the gun had to be level and even then one out if five or six would jam. From the previous posts I'd guess that I had a lemmon.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old September 21, 2011, 04:31 AM   #25
kvd

Good information gentlemen – thanks for posting. I’ve read where sometimes even calibers traditionally associated with short actions like 7mm WSM have been built on long actions because when loading the long VLD bullets out near the rifling the rounds could not be extracted without pulling the bolt. If the Model Seven action and magazine are shorter than the Model 700 short action, this would definitely be a drawback for what I’m trying to do.

Ken