The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 4, 2010, 08:37 PM   #1
AWick20

New Upper for DPMS?

I currently have a DPMS with undetachable carry handle...which sadly makes it awkward for any type of scope/optics...So, Im looking to buy another upper with a flat top. Im not wanting to spend TONS on this upper, but I understand it will cost me...Can i buy an upper and use my old barrel/carrier/lower? And how difficult would it be to exchange that upper with the barrel and such?

If thats not possible, anyone know any low priced complete uppers with preferably 18"+ barrel with flat tops?
Old November 4, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Loader9

Just buy a complete upper. I haven't bought one in a while so I can't say about prices but a new upper shouldn't be extremely expensive. But changing the parts from one upper to another doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old November 4, 2010, 10:24 PM   #3
AWick20

I dont want to buy mounts/scope for my current upper with the carry handle because it is so awkward..So i would buy an upper(flat top) without the barrel and such then switch it all.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:35 PM   #4
pcardinal42

Go over to http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ and pick out a flat top upper. This is the best bang for you buck.
Old November 5, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
rugerfreak

It can be done easily---but you'll need a few tools.
Old November 5, 2010, 12:42 AM   #6
DukeNukem

This place has some inexpensive complete uppers. No idea how good or bad they are though. http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_ID=152
Old November 5, 2010, 03:16 AM   #7
HiBC

Keep an eye on DPMS's site,Midway,etc.DPMS upper assy's go on sale.I won't say you can't mix brands,they pin together and work,but all DPMS;as that is what your lower is,might not be a bad idea.