The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
GodWeTrust

Itaca M66 Supersingle

Hello

Looking for a little information on the above shotgun. My mother-in-law calls it her "Annie Oakley" and, back in the day, she went to turkey shoots with it.

The world wide web seems to only have people interested in its value, but I'm more interested in how she shoots.

It's a 12 gauge. Has a recoil pad. And iron sights, of all things. It's smooth bore, even though it looks like a slug gun.

Wondering if current ammo is safe to use. And it's bored for 3 inch, but I'm assuming 2 3/4 is no problem.

Thanks!
Old October 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When Ithaca brought out the Model 66, darn near all prime time TV was Westerns. Maverick, Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, etc. The lever design was to cash in on the Western cachet.

This was one of the better utility grade shotguns. Current 2 3/4 and 3" ammo will work, though the 3" stuff in that light a gun will make you wince.

One variant had open sights for slug use. Betcha yours is one of these.

Enjoy....
Old October 4, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
shortwave

My 1st dedicated deer shotgun. Got it somewhere's between the ages of 10-12 if I remember correctly. Still have it somewhere here. Sights are rifle sights and the front is fluorescent orange-ish/pink. And yes, the 3" slugs will make ya stand up and take notice.

If I'm not mistaken, it is a slug gun. Just smoothbore.

I believe Mike Irwin had/has one as well and like Dave, is very familiar with them also.

Last edited by shortwave; October 4, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

The M66 was a product of the late 1950s through the late 1970s. I think they were finally phased out in the early 1980s.

They are functional, no frills utility shotguns.

I have one in 20 gauge that was my Father's. Kicks like a frigging mule.

Yours is a relatively uncommon slug gun, as denoted by the recoil pad and the iron sights. They are worth probably between $150 and $175 for one in good condition.

If you've not fired with it 3" slugs, when you do...

Hold on. You're in for one hell of a ride.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
CajunBass

My first gun was an Ithaca M-66 Supersingle, youth model, in 20 ga. I got it for Christmas, must have been about 65-66...somewhere in there. It had a 26" barrel, modified choke, and a rubber recoil pad. I suppose my youngest son has it now. It was a fun gun to shoot, but even in a 20 ga, it kicked like a mule. I was a kid back then. Who cared?

There was a guest at our hunt club one day who had a one in 12 ga, with the rifle sights. He was on the stand next to me during the morning drive. The dogs jumped and ran around the swamp for a while, then it looked like someone flushed a covy of quail. There were deer running everywhere. I shot one across a little flooded ditch. While I was trying to figure out how to get over to her, without getting soaked (it had started to snow, too,, so it was COLD), I heard three quick shots, close. Boom, Boom, Boom....Who the...can't be THAT guy. He's got a single-barrel.

Turns out it was. Remember that old saying about the man with one gun. Well that fellow only had the one gun, and he knew how to use it. He racked off three shots with that single shot gun, faster than I could have with a pump. Killed the deer too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 6, 2012, 12:42 PM   #6
GodWeTrust

Great story.

Thanks for the information on this little shotgun. I believe I'll be using 2 3/4 shells in it next weekend for the church's shotgun outing. How cool is it that we're having a trap shooting contests with our supported missionaries!?

Thanks again!
Old October 6, 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
shortwave

Quote:
How cool is it that we're having a trap shooting contests with our supported missionaries!?
Love the great idea.

Quote:
Has a recoil pad. And iron sights, of all things.
If you're talking rifled sights, you probably ought to check how barrel is choked. If it's a slug bbl., more then likely it's Open Cyl. and will not be good for shooting trap. Using 'flight control' ammo will get your furthest, best pattern but most likely still not good enough for trap shooting.

Last edited by shortwave; October 6, 2012 at 08:55 PM.