The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 1, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1
calou84523

arisaka parts

I have what I believe is an Arisaka model 99, Kokura Arsenal with monopod and chrysanthemum marking, it's in rough shape (pitting but no rust). I am looking for replacement screws for the front and rear barrel bands (it appears that someone at one time replaced the originals with plain machine screws and nuts) and rear sling swivel with screws, anybody have an idea where I could purchase them. Also, it looks like it's seen a lot of combat and I was thinking of refinishing the stock and blue the metal parts but a buddy told me that would be a mistake because it has an intact, undamaged chrysanthemum marking (which he says is rare) and might be worth more as is; is he correct?
Old November 1, 2011, 02:19 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
I have what I believe is an Arisaka model 99, Kokura Arsenal with monopod and chrysanthemum marking, it's in rough shape (pitting but no rust). I am looking for replacement screws for the front and rear barrel bands... and rear sling swivel with screws, anybody have an idea where I could purchase them.
Try here: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=1206
Quote:
Also, it looks like it's seen a lot of combat and I was thinking of refinishing the stock and blue the metal parts but a buddy told me that would be a mistake because it has an intact, undamaged chrysanthemum marking (which he says is rare) and might be worth more as is; is he correct?
Yes, he is correct.

Intact chrysanthemum markings aren't as rare as some Interwebz posters and gun magazine writers suggest, but there's still no sense in ruining the gun's collector value by refinishing it. Too many GI-bringback Arisakas have been ruined already.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:24 PM   #3
calou84523

Thanks

Thank you I'll give them a try!

Tags
arisaka , rifle parts