The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2006, 07:41 PM   #1
GlockGirl65

Glock reloading question

Hey Everyone,
Just purchased a Glock 31 for me for Christmas and she's a dream!

Anyway, while browsing thru the "midway" site, I came across some "Speer" 125 grain Uni-cor TMJ bullets.
Since my dad reloads I want to have him start doing my pistol for me.
I'm purchasing Remington brass and was wondering if the combo of the brass with the speer lead would work.

I've only reloaded for rifles so I'm a bit new at this!

Thanks for any and all help!
Old January 2, 2006, 07:45 PM   #2
tshadow6

Reloads void the Glock warranty.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:51 PM   #3
HSMITH

Those bullets will be just fine.

Have dad read up on loading 357 Sig. It is one of the more difficult pistol rounds to do, and with a Glock all care must be taken to prevent bullet setback in the case. If you prevent setback there are no worries reloading for a Glock.
Old January 3, 2006, 04:07 AM   #4
stratus

I wouldn't put unjacketed lead through anything with a barrel that has polygonal rifling... apparently it can have some bad side effects in the long term, but it seems to depend on a number of variables.

Welcome to the forums, btw.
Old January 3, 2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivers

He says he's going to load tmj, which is fine for Glock barrels. Reloading will void your Glock's warranty, only to the extent that a failure is caused by the reloads. (Yes, I do know about the reloading caveat cya in the Glock manual.) I shoot nothing but reloads...lots of reloads...through my Glocks.
Old January 4, 2006, 07:35 AM   #6
Tim R

Glock is not the only manf. who says not to use reloads.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old January 4, 2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Chris Cullen

Either we are really behind the times or completely missing something - but all Glocks purchased in Australia, make no mention at all of anything relating to warranty.
Our pistol ranges say that you must use lead on certain targets or else you don't shoot. We reload with lead as much as we want to. We shoot as much lead as we want to. The only warnings we get about lead is to wash your hands after use.

I feel so good that I'm not caught up in all this non-sense about not using lead because of voiding warranty or explosions linked to using lead

Chris Cullen
Old January 4, 2006, 07:58 AM   #8
badaceds650

glock bs

amen chris i dont worry about it either
Old January 4, 2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Chris Cullen

Sometimes I feel like I'm in some kind of "cult" because I shoot loads of lead through my glock! I have a laugh sometimes when I get told I can't do this and I can't do that with shooting different rounds.

You know what works - you turn the switch off on your electronic ear muffs...

Smile and nodd

Chris Cullen
Old January 7, 2006, 06:39 PM   #10
epr105

You can still own a GLOCK in Australia. I thought they were all taken away?
I have used lead reloads in my glock since 1995. I shoot over 300 rounds per range session and shoot the glock 2x a month. Still works great and never a problem.
Old January 7, 2006, 09:04 PM   #11
GlockGirl65

thanks

Hey, Thanks for all the info and tips. I'm going to get my dad a "book" on Glocks and reloading. Now I've found a Springfield chrome 1911 that I really like and may just HAVE to add to my "collection". Ahh a girl and her guns!

Thanks again,
Old January 8, 2006, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivers

Unless the issue's been addressed lately, the Glock manual doesn't mention shooting lead through Glocks; however, it does mention shooting reloads, which I see as a cya legal caveat.

I don't reload lead, just because I don't like lead. IF I did shoot lead through my Glocks, I'd do a really good job of barrel cleaning after every session.

I'll take American Glock's manuals over Australia's silliass gunlaws any day!
Old January 8, 2006, 11:27 AM   #13
impact

I can remember reading in many of my new gun manuals not to shoot reloads. Not just Glock. Do I shoot reloads? I reload for every gun I can.

If you like to shoot hot loads stay away from lead. It will lead the barrel and cleaning lead is no fun. I have over 2000 rds in a 1911 with 45 acp and never cleaned the barrel. I keep the load at 850fps with a 200gr bullet. It's my IDPA gun!

On the other hand when I load my 45 colt with a 250gr lead bullet with 10grs of unique it leads the barrel. (hot load)

GlockGril65 I think the Speer lead bullets are to soft for a 357 sig round. The 357 sig is a hot round. I would try lead with a hard cast bullet and keep the load on the soft side. Keep an eye to make sure there is no leading when shooting the gun.

I leaded up a barrel so bad one time in my 220 sig that I could not see any rifling. The gun still shot fine. Not very accurate though . I don't think I wound do the same with a Glock.

I've reloaded for four of my Glocks and they did just fine. Glock is a fine gun. Keep the loads safe and have fun