The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 9, 2012, 01:46 PM   #126
sigcurious

Quote:
I think some of you out there are absolutely paranoid.....but I will never tell you that you are WRONG.
Quote:
Again, I think some of you are just plain paranoid....but thats just my $.02
So...you won't say it explicitly, but you think it's ok to say it implicitly?
Old November 9, 2012, 01:49 PM   #127
StainlessSteel215

SOME. OF. YOU. ARE. PARANOID.

Are you wrong in your 100% 24/7 carry lifestyles? I dont know. Are you right? I dont know.

Will I ever attempt to make a statement for or against it telling you its right or wrong? Never, because its your own personal preference....but I am certainly entitled to speak my mind since everyone is throwing their voices around here. I do think its excessive....and in my case not something I will do

There is no right or wrong. Period.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:54 PM   #128
sigcurious

I should have been more clear. The implicit statement of others being paranoid, is that you're right and they're wrong.

Quote:
You all need to respect everyone else
Not much respect being given to those you call paranoid. Do you know their living situations? Do you have a rational argument other than your feelings why they're paranoid in your eyes?
Old November 9, 2012, 01:56 PM   #129
StainlessSteel215

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn, are we done with the annoying little word pestering?

If not, you now have the stage buddy....already made my point. Belabor away Sig....you love to do this dance dont you?
Old November 9, 2012, 02:05 PM   #130
Gaerek

No offense, but...

Quote:
but I will never tell you that you are WRONG
but before that, you said...

Quote:
Guys, NONE of you are correct
I understand where you're coming from, and I understand what you're saying, but this is a discussion forum. If there weren't disagreements, there's be no point in posting. I said what I said because I believe if you think you're safe in your home, you are plain wrong. You can be attacked anywhere, and your home happens to be where all of your valuables and family members are. Bad people want your stuff. This is a fact.

I have fire extinguishers in almost every room in my house. Many would say this is paranoid. I call it smart. Why? Because I don't know where a fire will start. Statistically speaking, it will happen in the kitchen, if it happens at all. But it can (and does, every day!) happen in any room in the house. I don't want to be caught in my bedroom with fire between me and the door, with the fire extinguisher in the kitchen. It's not burdensome to have a fire extinguisher in every room.

In the same way, it's not burdensome for me to have a gun on me in the house. I have several different holsters that lend themselves to different attire. In the same way, I don't know where or when I'll be attacked. I don't want to be lounging in my recliner, with my gun sitting in the safe in my closet when a bad guy decides to do something stupid. It does me no good there. I'm sitting at my computer right now with my G19 attached to my hip. I've got 15 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. On my other hip, I have 2, 17 round magazines fully loaded. I'm carrying with me, 50 rounds of 124gr Golden Saber JHP. Am I paranoid? I don't think so. I don't believe someone is going to break in today, or tomorrow, or in the next year for that matter. But I certainly don't want to be wrong in my belief either.

Again, don't try to stifle discussion simply because you perceive conflict. My comment...

Quote:
Please tell me where this magical crime/violence free place you live is, so I can move there.
...was intended to provoke thought. It was intended to try to sway some people to my point of view (and lets be honest, that's the point of discussion!!). If you are fine being disarmed in your house, then that's good for you. But it's not good for me. (Bolded text is key here.)

You disagree with me here, and that's cool. But you keep repeating how you like to carry. You are doing exactly what you're trying to tell others not to do. I'm telling you what I do. If you weren't in the interest of either swaying people to carrying the way you do, or asking for critique on the way you're carrying, what is the point of even posting? I'm not interested in your setup, if you're not giving me a good reason to change to your way, or if I can help you in some way. If either of those cases aren't true, then your posts on how you carry are absolutely, 100% pointless.

Quote:
That is MY PERSONAL setup. I dont care what anyone says here to try to persuade me otherwise. You all need to respect everyone else who doesnt agree with carrying 100% 24/7.
Same goes with you, dude. You need to respect those that have a differing opinion to you. And the fact that you keep posting, and giving your opinion, and telling those that disagree with you that we need to stop or something shows me you aren't. It's like people who say I need to be tolerant. Well, the fact that you're saying I'm intolerant is making you intolerant. This is a discussion forum, and discussion and disagreements will occur. Don't get worked up about it.

For the record, I live in a low crime area. I think there's been two break-ins since this community was built 6 years ago. I live near Tucson (well, about 20 miles away) and there's a lot of crime there, but not here. But I don't like to take chances, especially with my life, the life of my wife, the life of my 3.5 year old and the life of my 7 month old.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:10 PM   #131
StainlessSteel215

Unbelievable.

Im kinda surprised at the lengths the 2 of you are going to reeeeeally stretch out some point beyond the obvious. I dont know how many other languages I can use to make the simple point: do what you want in your own situation...I will not lose sleep over it in any circumstance.

I think its excessive to carry in my house, in the shower, etc. Thats me.

Carry on guys, and try not to get a migraine over driving your point to death. This is no way to spend a Friday!

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; November 9, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:11 PM   #132
Gaerek

Quote:
SOME. OF. YOU. ARE. PARANOID.
This is an opinion.

Quote:
Are you wrong in your 100% 24/7 carry lifestyles? I dont know. Are you right? I dont know.
The point of discussion is to gain in knowledge and to see others points of view. The fact that you don't know either way makes this a good discussion to have.

Quote:
Will I ever attempt to make a statement for or against it telling you its right or wrong? Never, because its your own personal preference....
But the fact that you keep repeating your opinion tells me you believe it is wrong. You are implying those of us that do are wrong, you're just avoiding saying explicitly. I don't think this is a bad thing. As I've said, it's a discussion. These kinds of things are good!

Quote:
but I am certainly entitled to speak my mind since everyone is throwing their voices around here.
You are absolutely right! But, don't get defensive when someone disagrees with you, because everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Quote:
I do think its excessive....and in my case not something I will do
So, you're implying that my way is wrong?

(That's not a bad thing. I don't know why you're trying to avoid saying it. Maybe you don't have a good argument against it?)

Quote:
There is no right or wrong. Period.
Not according to you. Your way is right in your eyes. If it wasn't right, you wouldn't do it. My way is wrong in your eyes. If you thought it was right, you would do it my way. This isn't a bad thing. This allows for discussion. Don't get defensive when people disagree with you.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:15 PM   #133
StainlessSteel215

dude, you need a beer.

I'll revise my wording in the future for the thin-skinned out there. Sorry....but you will see I NEVER once attempted to say its wrong because eI know that would be stupid and completely my opinion. I am entitled to an opinion, however. 24/7 carry is excessive in my opinion? Yes. Thats it.

By the way this is getting old fast. Are you guys done?
Old November 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #134
manta49

Quote. I have fire extinguishers in almost every room in my house. Many would say this is paranoid.

You have to draw the line somewhere i have any fire extinguishers in the house and don't have a firearm with in reach in the house. But i feel perfectly safe if no point worrying what might happen.

PS I do lock the door most of the time.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:24 PM   #135
Gaerek

Quote:
I think its excessive to carry in my house, in the shower, etc. Thats me.
In other words, you think I'm wrong.

Quote:
Sorry....but you will see I NEVER once attempted to say its wrong because eI know that would be stupid and completely my opinion.
You're right. You're not saying it explicitly. You're not using the words, "You're wrong." The fact that you're getting worked up about it, getting defensive about it, and keep repeating your opinion tells me that you are implicitly saying "You're wrong."

It's ok to think that. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not getting worked up. I'm stuck in the house babysitting my kids and my niece today, so I've really got nothing better to do today. It's ok to tell someone they're wrong, really. I don't get offended. I believe your way of carrying is wrong. And that's OK, that allows us to have a discussion. But when someone gets carried away, worked up, and defensive, as you are, it's counter productive.

Anyway, I've beat my point to death, and if you don't get it by now, you never will, so I'm done with that point. (And I really will be, unlike you who happens to keep bringing it up).
Old November 9, 2012, 02:30 PM   #136
Gaerek

Quote:
You have to draw the line somewhere i have any fire extinguishers in the house and don't have a firearm with in reach in the house. But i feel perfectly safe if no point worrying what might happen.
Please don't be offended that I'm disagreeing with you here. As I've said, it's no burden to have a gun on me. So why not? If it was a problem, I'd probably just keep a gun in a lockbox in the 2 or 3 places I am most of the time nearby, but it's not a problem. I don't even notice the weight on my hip anymore. And honestly, it feels more strange not having a gun hanging off my hip than having one now.

Quote:
PS I do lock the door most of the time.
I do too! Locks keep the honest people out. There are very few typical house exterior doors that can't be defeated within seconds. I found this out when I accidently locked myself out once (actually, my 2.5 year old at the time closed the deadbolt when I went outside briefly) when my wife was out of town (all spare keys were inside). I was able to kick my own door with one kick, and I was inside in seconds. I had to rebuild the door frame, so it was an expensive lesson.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:37 PM   #137
StainlessSteel215

Gaerek, all jokes aside....I apologize if you personally took offense to my wording....and anyone else out there who carry 24/7. I know there are a TON of you out there dedicated to that lifestyle and you know what? I commend you for it because you are consistent and probably never deviate from it. Me? I just cant do it and dont feel the need.

I do see your point(s) and was trying to find a way to drive my personal points without ticking anyone off directly by saying something dumb like, "nah...you are wrong". There is no wrong in this situation. Ill also stop beating my point that I think its excessive because at this point its just a tailspin.

Fellas, have a great Friday night and Garek I'll also be on baby duty when I get home while the wife bartends. I like this place and hope to create allies in my future postings, not the opposite.

The fact is, this thread alone has helped me tremendously and I appreciate all the feedback finding a comfy solution to my carry issues. I am now VERY comfy with carrying more than I was before....and carrying C1. I feel more balanced now and confident in my gun, myself, and my carry system
Old November 9, 2012, 02:40 PM   #138
StainlessSteel215

By the way...lets talk guns! What do you guys carry?

I just scooped up a sweet little SA 1911 Ultra Compact in 9mm and cant wait to interchange it with my G26 from time to time. Fits my IWB holster perfectly believe it or not.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:44 PM   #139
manta49

Quote. Please don't be offended that I'm disagreeing with you here. I Am not that easily offended. I have no problem what way someone carries their firearm but its when some say its their way or no way i find irritating. PS I am not suggesting you would do that.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:45 PM   #140
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Gentlemen,

I think a few of us need to take a deep breath and back down a notch or three.

Stop picking fights and looking for any little phrase to which we can take an offense.

Stop nit-picking every little phrase that we might have worded in way you don't like.

Knock it off with the "You're paranoid", "No I'm not!" nonsense.

If you don't want to carry in your house, don't, and feel free to say why. If you want to carry 24/7, go right ahead, and feel free to say why you do. Leave out the implications (or outright statements) of paranoia or irresponsibility for others who do different.

Kick it back a couple notches. No one's choices here effect any one else.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:47 PM   #141
StainlessSteel215

Fair enough Brian, please see my post above which outlines a full apology for anyone who was offended with my paranoia remarks. That was admittedly out of line and I do see the light at the other side why people commit to that lifestyle. Its just not for me, and I would liek to take you up on your advice to outline my original reason for NOT carrying in my house which is that each night after work I like to lock up the house...throw in comfy clothes...and play around with my daughter which includes running around, tumbling on the playmat, etc. I would NEVER consider doing that with a holstered, loaded Glock. So...for me....carrying in the house just wont work.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:51 PM   #142
Glenn E. Meyer

Independent of mental state, I might suggest that the motor skills for a 1911 pattern gun (cocked and locked carry, safety off on the draw, etc.) need a modicum of practice if one transitions from a Glock pattern.

I've seen folks under match pressure forget to take the safety off and stand there dumb founded. Those are neat little 9's but have a different implementation. One needs to establish automaticity on the draw stroke.

I might suggest a bit of dry fire for it goes for a walk as a serious defense pistol and some range time. If one could find a venue that allows draw and fire practice that would be good.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:54 PM   #143
StainlessSteel215

Thanks Glenn. I am excited to interchange the 2 types of trigger actions and completely understand the difference in mechanics between the 2. I plan to hit the outdoor range hard this weekend...hopefully both days....and begin some thorough practice doing FAST drills. I think that will help me get a feel for both pistols under semi-stressful circumstances and hopefully develop a bit of muscle memory with both guns
Old November 9, 2012, 03:04 PM   #144
Gaerek

I haven't taken any offense. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. What bothers me is when someone says something like, "No one is right or wrong, BUT this is what I do, and I don't care what you do." (Sorry for the paraphrase, that's how I took it). That's what really got me going.

If you're OK with not carrying in the house, that's cool. It's your way. You may have different circumstances or whatever. You may think it's excessive, and that's totally fine. I certainly don't think of myself as paranoid. When you start doing a lot of research on this, and other subjects, you find that carrying in the home is VERY common, and recommended by almost every expert in the field. Their arguments swayed me. Trust me, I used to feel the same way you did. I feel safe in my home, precisely because I know I have a way to protect myself hanging on my hip.

It's the CCW adage, I don't carry because I'm afraid; I'm not afraid, because I carry.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:07 PM   #145
JimPage

This thread was getting funny -- "You are too, am not, are too, am not, are too....."

Bear in mind: just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean the world's not out to get you.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old November 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #146
StainlessSteel215

I hear ya Gaerek....see my little piece above in response to Glenn as to why I just dont feel quite right about carrying in the house. I list a few valid and honest reasons.

Maybe down the road things will change for me, who knows. Anyways thanks to all who contributed. This place certainly provides valuable perspective and has already helped me become a better, more responsible shooter/CCW fan in many ways

*EDIT*
Jim Ill be completely honest...Im 30 years old and sometimes get swept up in a 3rd grade argumentative mentality when I feel pushed. lol I'm working on it. I'm a member on a few different gun forums (some of which I mostly lurk) and this place is hands down the best all things considered. Fact is this is a GREAT group of folks who all possess valuable nuggets of info. I almost left this place a couple times for stupid reasons.....but HELLA glad I stuck around

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; November 9, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:11 PM   #147
PT-92

At home I sometimes leave my primary within reach but I ALWAYS have a BUG on me in the slim chance I cannot get to my primary. I often wonder for those that use a long gun for HD if they maintain a sidearm as well in case they can't get to say their shotgun or AR...
Old November 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #148
Glenn E. Meyer

If someone is uncomfortable carrying in the house, I prefer they don't carry out in public.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:06 PM   #149
StainlessSteel215

Hey Glenn, now you are purposely picking a fight with me, again. Whats up dude?

You are entitled to your opinion but you dont get to bully just because you are a mod. Reason #1 why I almost left this place the first time. I was PRETTY clear in explaining the 2 main reasons I choose not to carry inside my house. I'll make it 3 since you seem so interested....

1) I do not live in Syria. I live in Suburbia. I have adequate locks, ADT security, and live on a quiet street

2) I like to change into comfortable clothes when I get home. Sweats arent practical for a belt & holster.

3) I enjoy play time with my 1 year old daughter which includes rolling around, etc. Carrying a holstered Glock C1 isnt a smart move....so I keep the gun SAFELY tucked away near me at all times. In fact its 3 feet from my left hand as I type this reply.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; November 9, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old November 10, 2012, 03:02 AM   #150
Jammer Six

I am not!

wait...

I am too!

uhm...

what was the question?