The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2001, 12:05 AM   #1
Rickmeister

Unsung CCW Rules To Live By

I posted this message too late on another board as a follow-up to a thread I had created earlier, but received no input (I figure the topic had been bumped off the recent list and wasn't read by too many people.). So I'm posting it again for you to read...

+++++

Is there a clear and concise set of rules that you, as a permit holder, should live by?... sort of a Jeff Cooper appendix for CCW licensees?

Tentatively, I've come up with the following list:

1) Evil exists.
2) You may have to face it---more likely than not, when you least expect it.
3) Never take safety for granted.
4) All strangers are dangerous until proven otherwise.
5) Wherever you go, always look for the best means of escape; or a place where, if you can't, you can at least shield yourself.
6) Always know exactly where you are. You---or someone else---may have to call the cops and an ambulance.

and, although I hesitate to add it for the reason that it may remove spontaneity from my life:

7) Live each day as though it could be your last.

Please improve, reorganize, add, or subtract from it as you see fit.

Last edited by Rickmeister; December 13, 2001 at 08:30 AM.
Old December 13, 2001, 07:38 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I think those are all great rules, but they have nothing to do with CCW in the sense of distinguishing CCW from a person who is unarmed. Those are all good first line of defense rules that concern situational awareness. They apply to everyone and I would argue that for 99.999% of one's life, these will be all they need to get by - for most people anyway.

I thought for CCW, this thread was going to include various gun handling rules, concealment rules, concepts on concealment actually meaning clandestine carrying of weapons such that your friends and family may not need to know, etc.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:28 AM   #3
Rickmeister

Thanks, Double, for your input.

And yes, this thread should mainly include gun handling rules such that are only applicable to CCW.

I only started this thread, and my suggestions are admittedly oblique in matters pertaining concealment. You and everyone else are very welcome to modify these rules to perfection.

Last edited by Rickmeister; December 13, 2001 at 10:13 AM.
Old December 13, 2001, 08:48 AM   #4
David Scott

I will contribute my #1 CCW rule:

ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WHILE CARRYING.

I don't care how well someone thinks they can hold their liquor. If you ever have to draw, and the cops smell alcohol on you, you're in for a hassle.

My #2 rule:

NEVER TAKE CHANCES YOU WOULDN'T TAKE UNARMED.

The best day ends with you coming home, without having to draw.

My other rules:

In restaurants and other public places, position yourself with your weapon/holster side to the wall, away from prying eyes, and with a view of the entrance.

Carry your permit and driver's license in a small folder in an outside breast pocket, so you can get them out to show the cops without putting a hand near your weapon. Look what reaching for a wallet did for Diallo. You can even say, "The gun's on my right hip, but my ID's in this shirt pocket. Help yourself, Officer."

Before going out, do the "fashion model runway walk" for your wife, to be sure your weapon truly is concealed.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old December 13, 2001, 09:11 AM   #5
Joe Demko

1. Have a gun.
2. Never display your gun, unless you are about to shoot someone.
3. Do your best to avoid places and situations where you might have to shoot someone.
4. If you have to shoot someone, keep your mouth shut until you have legal counsel with you.
5. Shooting someone isn't a treat.

Last edited by Golgo-13; December 13, 2001 at 12:37 PM.
Old December 13, 2001, 07:08 PM   #6
Ben Shepherd

I agree with Mr. Scott.

As a matter of fact, and as I've posted before:
When we get together on weekends, camping trips, house parties, or such, we have a designated driver/shooter. It may sound crazy, but run a couple scenarios through your mind, and it makes good sense.

If your parties always conclude with police assistance, you're running with the wrong crowd.

We had a bachelor party a year ago, I was the sober guy with the CCW. Party included 2 close friends(new about the CCW), 6 acquaintences, and 2 dozen or so unknown to me. All trouble attributed to, and participated in by the unknowns.

End result: 2 good knock-down drag out fights, 1 door kicked in, 1 guy ran over by a full size pickup. Police, fire, and ambulance showed up. 1 sober guy with a gun to explain the mess.
Never been around that group since.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 14, 2001, 11:41 AM   #7
David Scott

Ben's story suggests another good rule: Know the crowd you're running with.

Last Daytona Bike Week Thelma and I got invited to ride around with a bunch of "friends of friends". Their idea of enjoying Bike Week turned out to be a pub crawl on two wheels. Not wanting to break up the group, or to reveal to others that we were carrying, we locked the sidearms in the trunk of the Gold Wing and made our beers last a long time. After that, we've made it clear when we're invited to go riding that we don't drink and aren't going into bars.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss