The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2001, 02:42 PM   #1
Viperbl1

Question

Hey! I'm new to this forum. I shot a shotgun for the first time yesterday, at a beginning class in Trap and Skeet shooting. My first turn up to the trap, I hit 5 out of 5 clat birds! I loved it! I was using the instructors Winchester Super X2 semi-auto 12 gauge. Wonderful gun, but I am looking for a pump that I can use for both home defense AND trap/skeet shooting. I originally was looking at Mossberg 500's or 590's, but now am totally taken by the looks and reviews of the Benelli Nova. Would this gun do ok for double duty? What about different barrel langths? I don't know muchg about modsyou can make to guns, can someone help me out here? I have read that the Nova has a bit of recoil to it, but honestly, I barely felt the recoil of the 8 shot I was firing, and 6 shot would probably be the biggest shell I would ever fire on a regular basis. ANY suggestions, or info for a begginer would be GREATLY appreciated!

Confused,

CW
Old September 16, 2001, 03:11 PM   #2
scouter27

May I ask: Why have you ruled out a semi auto? They usually have less recoil, at least in my experience, but then again the only semi auto I have ever shot was a old 1100 with a 28" barrel, so the weight may have helped it.
Old September 16, 2001, 03:53 PM   #3
unbeknownst

I am looking at the 590's and the Nova myself as well. Interested in knowing which one has less felt recoil, and any dealings with customer service. Thanks.

I am looking at the 12 ga. 18.5" for the Nova or the 590 with speed feed.
Old September 16, 2001, 05:53 PM   #4
Viperbl1

RE:

Well, I don't really want to spend 600$ + on a gun right now, plus, I really like pumps! The recoil, at least what I felt at the range yesterday, was not an issue for me at all. In fact, I was pleasantly suprised at how mild the kick was on a 12 gauge. ( 8 shot ) So does anyone here recommend the Nova for trap shooting? What should I look for in a sport gun, that can double as an HD gun? Two barrels? Thanks
Old September 16, 2001, 07:31 PM   #5
scouter27

I'd suggest looking at the Win. 1300 and Rem 870 in addition to the Benelli and Mossy. They are all find guns. I don't know enough about SG sports to advise on that, but the 1300 defender 8 shot is an excelent HD gun.
Old September 16, 2001, 08:19 PM   #6
hksigwalther

Replacing the barrel in the NOVA from HD to trap is no more a problem than any other shotgun. I don't see any problem at all in using the gun for both purposes. If recoil does become an issue (since you havenlt shot the NOVA yet). there is a recoil reducer available from Benelli that installs into the buttstock. It is basically a brace that is screwed inside of the stock that holds a mercury filled cylinder. (The cylinder is held inplace by a pice of tubing you cut to length and a clip.)

Head out to a gunshop and check out the diffferent configurations and finishes the NOVA can be had in. All of which can be interchanged to other configurations. Skeet, trap, hunting, slug, defense.
Old September 17, 2001, 05:53 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No direct experience with the Nova, but I've heard little bad stuff about them.

However, there's lots of choices, good pump guns aren't scarce. And most are often found used, and constitute a great bargain. Even the alloy framed ones are very hard to wear out.

Try out the 870 Remington, the various Winchesters, the Mossberg 500-590 Series, the Ithaca 37-87, and that Nova. Pick the one that feels best.

Remington makes one Express version of their Turkey Gun, a 21" bbled job with a Slug bbl option. This has to be one of the top all rounders out there.

If you're into aftermarket goodies, the 870 has the most stuff. But, a stock pump of any of the above makes makes a great HD tool in trained and cool hands....
Old September 17, 2001, 08:01 PM   #8
Popsicle

Yoy guys worry far too much about the Nova's recoil. Frankly, I'm getting tired of everybody's opinion about the Nova having nasty recoil. No you don't need the recoil reducer when shooting 3" or shorter shells, and the recoil is no worse than any other pump I have ever shot, and I've owned all the mossbergs, winchesters and remingtons. The Nova is, by far, the best pump for the money spent today. I've have two... one of the early camo models with 28" barrel. The other is a ghost ring sighted 18" barrel. The camo one has shot way more trap, skeet, and sporting clays than live birds. I used it exclusively every weekend for over the last year with no problems. I like other people watch as I take my "huntin" pump to the trap range and break 23-25 birds per round. I even thought about shooting some ATA trap again with this gun. Talk about sandbagging! Seriously though, buy yourself a Nova with a 24" barrel, not the best for serious trapshooting and not the best for home defense, but will most definitely get the job done.

Pat Brophy
Old September 17, 2001, 08:31 PM   #9
Viperbl1

RE:

Hey pop!

Since you have a Nova, I have a few questions. I found a good deal for some Novas, around 240$ for a 18 inch barrel and open cylinder bore? I don't know what this all means, but how much would it cost for a longer barrel, and how would I modify it for stock? Or, I found a Nova for 330$ with a 26 inch barrel, and 3 chokes, one improved. How much would it cost to get an 18 inch barrel to throw on there when it;s sitting at home? Again, I am very new to shotguns, so please bare with my stupid questions. Thanks!

CW
Old September 19, 2001, 11:28 AM   #10
NMR

Sorry...itchy trigger finger!
Old September 19, 2001, 11:30 AM   #11
NMR

I don't believe Benelli sells an 18.5" barrel. They do sell the longer barrels at MSRP of $225....including the chokes. I was able to find them for $195 on the net...but I don't remember the address right now.

I'm also a newbie in the shotgun world, but I recently bought (haven't received yet) the Benelli Nova special purpose with rifle sights. Originally I was going to buy a 28" barrel for it also, sort of like you. I realized that instead of paying $200 for a barrel, I might as well go buy a Rem. 870 Express with a 28" barrel for $225-$250. That way I have the Benelli dedicated to HD and the Rem. dedicated to trap/skeet.

Why not have two complete guns instead of just two barrels!! The Nova with both barrels would run around ($450) while you can get two COMPLETE shotguns for around ($4750$500).
Old September 19, 2001, 10:46 PM   #12
Popsicle

Benelli Nova

I personally haven't seen Nova barrells for sale. However if you can get the cylinder bored riot gun for 240.00 jump on it! I paid 300.00 for my ghost ring sighted Nova and believe it is worth every penny. My camo Nova was 429.00 and it too has been a real pleasure to own. I think differently than the aforementioned post... I think you would be better off to buy the riot gun for 240.00 and add a bird barrel for 220.00. total cost would be 460.00 and you would have a gun you are totally familiar with especially with you being new to shotguns. In a high stress situation, wouldn't it be comfortable to know that the gun you've used so much for sporting purposes and are familiar with the controls, will save your bacon? In that situation you want a gun that you don't have to think " is the safety on the top or at the front of the guard". The gunwill feel more natural and responsive because you have used it rather than let it sit under the bed. Besides, the 870 express doesn't hold a candle to the Nova.

Good luck with your choice
Pat Brophy