The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 19, 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
ironduke

Carrying while jogging

What is the best way to secure a pistol when you will be jogging or running? I think I may have been targeted this evening. As I was finishing up my run, a car pulls into a church parking lot ahead of me and turns around. Before I reach the driveway, the driver stops in the driveway and doesn't enter the road. I jog by and the car still doesn't move. About a block down, I notice the car speeding down the road and then I see a man running on the other side of the street at a very fast pace. He crosses and ends up walking about 1/2 block ahead of me. Just to be safe, when I reached my street, I turned left and sprinted home.

Now I have a nice gun, holster, belt and should receive my CCW license in a few days, but what could I have done if these people wanted to do something to me?
Old March 19, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Ricky

Carrying while jogging

I figure that if obviously I don't have any money on me that chances are I won't get mugged. I do carry a folding knife but a gun is a bit more bother while jogging.
Old March 19, 2010, 09:58 PM   #3
aroundchicago

It's pretty hard to be jogging and concealing when your carrying 20 oz or more bouncing around. You might want to look into an Ruger LCP in a belly band.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:00 PM   #4
hmphargh

To each his own, but I can't stand carrying anything while running, a key to get back into my car/house is a hassle for me.

If you do decide that you need to carry while running, I would consider looking into a fanny pack carry system. Fanny packs and other waist rigs are fairly common among runners to carry water, keys, gu, etc, it probably wouldn't be noticed as anything out of the ordinary. If you had to twist my arm into carrying while running, it would probably be an P32/P3AT/LCP or an NAA something or the other in a fanny pack.

I would avoid thunderwear type holsters for chafing issues, and I would avoid belly band and undearshirt type systems because of chafing and rust issues.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Ricky

Carrying while jogging

I carry a knife because I had an issue with a Rottweiler once. The dog was aggresive and the owner thought it was funny.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:18 PM   #6
rickyjames

jogging with a gun is like a well endowed woman jogging in a cheap sports bra, bounce....bounce....bounce.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Terry A

In cold weather, I always jog w/ a black jacket that has nice, deep pockets that snap. The XD-45 likes to get some fresh air also!

In warmer weather, I wear a belt pack w/ a Glock 23, house keys & cell phone.

I've been carrying a handgun when I jog for the past 30 years or so. Believe me, I don't even notice it when I'm running. I would notice it if I did NOT have it with me.

Our military has to run while sometimes carrying 80+lbs of gear. Certainly we can get used to a small belt pack, right?

Plus, it's always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Good luck on whatever you decide and stay safe!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old March 19, 2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

A Keltec 32 or 380 in a belly band is perfect for runners.
The gun must be held tightly to the body, so that it doesn't flop around. Ace bandages work, too.
Old March 20, 2010, 11:20 AM   #9
TenRing

This is how I do it. Get a lightweight gun such as a NAA .22 magnum, Ruger LCR or S&W 442 or 340 PD and carry it in an ankle holster fixed to your arm. Velcro ankle holsters work just as well around your weak side bicep and you can crossdraw. Wear a T-shirt with sleeves long enough to keep the gun concealed. These guns are not expensive (except for the 340) but they are reliable. Since you will be sweating, rust will be an issue even with a stainless gun so wipe it down with a good gun oil before placing in the holster and again when you get back home. Even if the gun does rust away and you have to replace it every few years, it's still a good bargain.

I don't like fanny packs because people know that's where your money, house key and gun are located. Just keep everything light and put it in a pocket or attach it to your body.

Example:
http://www.naaminis.com/mag_hol.html
Old March 20, 2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Matt19

Also consider changing your running time/location. Why give this potential threat any advantage?
Old March 20, 2010, 12:15 PM   #11
jhenry

I think TenRing has is nailed. Simple, easy, unobtrusive, and avoids the bouncing around the waist issue.
Old March 20, 2010, 02:39 PM   #12
Terry A

I also liked TenRing's idea.
Whenever I can get out again, I'll borrow the Mrs.'s Keltec .380.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old March 20, 2010, 06:22 PM   #13
brucey44

Thats pretty funny stuff Ricky, I don't really have an answer to this as I wouldn't really consider it. I would likely go to the Y or a local indoor track if your area is that dangerous.
Old March 21, 2010, 07:00 PM   #14
Stevie-Ray

I run in the park for at least half a mile before every workout. I keep my P32 in a pocket holster in back pocket. Since I wear regular jean type shorts due to having to then drive to the gym, it isn't any kind of effort.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:32 PM   #15
BlackFeather

Weighted vest from wal-mart, carry it on the side you want and just wear light weights instead of all of them. It unzips relatively quick and is a bit bulky so it hides well, you can also stash a couple mags in the pockets for the weights...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old March 21, 2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Deja vu

I recommend some thing very small like a bond arms 45/410 derringer.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:54 PM   #17
pax

Quote:
I figure that if obviously I don't have any money on me that chances are I won't get mugged.
Yes, men do have that luxury.

Women do not.

I quit getting my exercise alone after I neatly avoided an obvious trap one afternoon along a logging road. While I am prepared to hike miles out of my way to avoid trouble, I am not prepared to kill someone simply because I don't look like a threat to avoid. No matter what I do when exercising alone in public, I still look like a woman exercising alone.

Meanwhile, though: "Just don't carry money" is great advice for a man who wants to avoid losing his money to a mugger, but not so great for a woman who wants to get her exercise and has no great wish to endure a sexual assault or for a man who does not wish to be the victim of a thrill murder somewhere along a deserted street.

pax
Old March 21, 2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Ricky

Pax, I agree with you

I'm a man and don't have to worry about a sexual assault. Also if you are running on logging roads there also may be animals to be concirned about. I live in California, pretty much impossible to get a CCW, I may sometimes have a gun nearby regardless ( Hope I never have to use it) A friend of mine lives in the Gold Country (Sierra Nevada foothills) and is a competitive long distance runner. She runs 5+ miles every weekday before work, on fire roads. I told her that I would be as concerned about Mtn. Lions as men with bad intentions. She scoffed at my suggestion of carrying a gun so I suggested a good hunting knife. Certainly a woman has more to worry about and I agree that if running alone some kind of weapon is appropriate.
brucey44
I don't live in a particularly bad neighborhood, that doesn't mean that there isn't a jerk here and there.

Last edited by Ricky; March 21, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old March 21, 2010, 09:31 PM   #19
pax

Ricky,

Well, I wouldn't be out without a weapon anyway (bears and cougars here, but more concerned about the two-legs). The problem is that a concealed weapon has no deterrent effect at all, hence my decision to quit exercising alone.

pax
Old March 21, 2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Ricky

Pax, I understand your decision

It's just a sad statement about our society that you were impelled to make that choice.
Old March 22, 2010, 01:44 AM   #21
biohazurd

Yeah along with the other replies i would say look at the ultra light weight .380s and .32s from ruger and Kel tec... You also might want to invest in a gym membership or a treadmill/elliptical or other cardio machine to your liking.
Old March 22, 2010, 07:47 AM   #22
Madcap_Magician

A snubbie in a fanny pack worked well for me.
Old March 22, 2010, 08:13 AM   #23
Skans

I've never carried a gun while running - I have carried a small knife. Like someone said, chafing is a real problem. If you run distance, just about anything and everything will chafe you. Under 6 miles, and you could probably get away wearing a small pack or that naa .22 magnum sounds about right. Forget wearing it on your arm or ankle - way too anoying and distracting.

Before you invest in a holster and gun for running:

1. know how far you run - longer distance means serious chafing problems
2. try carrying something of comparable weight various different ways while running. Flat rock isn't a bad idea - that way you can just toss it if it starts blistering you.
3. If I had to carry a gun while running, it would probably be the naa .22 magnum.
Old March 22, 2010, 09:35 AM   #24
cwok

Concur with TenRing above

(Note: assumes your assessment was reasonable)

Find a firearm that is:
First: Light enough and small enough to carry while running
Second: Shootable for YOU.If you can't practive with a lightweight Scandium/Titanium .38 because of the recoil, then I don't think its a good choice.
Last: Power, more is better.

One suggestion -- Two Kel-Tech .32 autos (or 380s or a snub .38 or .327).
Carry one while jogging - when you reenter you home, hold the weapon under hot running water until it gets warm and set it on something with drain holes to dry.
If you go out again before the weapon has dried, carry the second weapon.

Fieldstrip and Clean the weapon each time you fire the weapon.
If you have concerns about a specific threat incident, then firing for practice at least once per month would seem indicated.
Old March 26, 2010, 11:39 AM   #25
Jamesaritchie

One thing I'll never have to worry about is how best to carry while jogging.
Closed Thread