The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 21, 2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

How do you carry when riding your motorcycle?

I’m leaning toward a shoulder rig.
This is the bike I just finished building. It took about 3 years but near everything is custom.
In any event what do you suggest for carry while riding?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOLO_DAY_02-09-08.JPG (22.5 KB, 367 views)

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old December 21, 2008, 07:47 PM   #2
CARGUY2244

since the throttle is in my right hand, i carry in my left hand. get a lot of looks at traffic lights, but cars always give me the right-of-way.

Last edited by CARGUY2244; December 21, 2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 21, 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
hoytinak

I've got one of those leather "tool bags" that goes on the handle bars I keep my CCW in while riding but when I stop the CCW goes back in the IWB holster I normally carry in.
Old December 21, 2008, 07:55 PM   #4
alloy

the speed, ability to lane split, the braking is the advantage. im a fair bike rider but i cant see doing both at the same time so i dont do anything special, except when its hot and then concealment becomes the biggest issue. congrats on the bike completion, be safe!
Old December 21, 2008, 08:11 PM   #5
HAMMER1DOWN

well i don't ride a motorcycle but i do ride fourwheelers and horses some of the time and find the easiest way to carry is in a shoulder or chest rig.. BTW nice ride!!!
Old December 21, 2008, 08:20 PM   #6
DonR101395

AIWB same as I do when doing everything else. Yep, it's gonna hurt if I land on it, yep it's a calculated risk I'm willing to take.
Old December 21, 2008, 08:27 PM   #7
kraigwy

I dont ride motor cycles anymore but I so spend a good deal of time horse back, I dont change anything, I still carry my 642 in my pants pocket.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 21, 2008, 09:30 PM   #8
zebulonsmith

For use on that noisy chrome vibrator I suggest you use a shoulder rig so it doesn't shake out and fall on the road.

Also, consider some mufflers, you're making the more sensible of us look bad. Consider the arguments we provide for suppressors:

"I don't want to worry about hearing damage."
"I don't want to bother my neighbors."

I'm pretty sure that with those drag pipes, you're doing both.
Old December 21, 2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Just so no one is confused … I was not thinking of pulling the weapon while riding. Simply was wondering what others may have come up with for more security while getting from one place to the other. So far I’ve lost a set of keys and a pretty decent folding knife. Normally (when not riding) I carry in an IWB or paddle holster just behind my right hip. The frame on the bike is ridged so I used 5” springs in the seat to absorb some of the bumps in the road. Still from time to time I get a jolt. I am planning to add a tool bag to the front forks as mentioned by hoytinak but I don’t like the possibility of drawing attention to the weapon going back and forth from holster to bag. The style of bike causes some to make assumptions and adding a hand gun to their view may cause problems. As to the noise; it’s not too bad being only an 80ci EVO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIKE_SM_03.JPG (82.2 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg BIKE_SM_02.JPG (15.7 KB, 119 views)

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old December 21, 2008, 10:33 PM   #10
alloy

for me its appendix carry with a smaller pistol. when im bent over it it feels the most secure. i dont want it showing from the rear, and im usually riding with just a t-shirt in the summer.
Old December 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #11
chris in va

I just put my P11 in a jacket pocket. I'm tempted to just OC my Sig 220 but heard horror stories of the gun smashing a hip during a laydown.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:04 PM   #12
PDXGS

Mine goes in the tank bag.
I try not to have anything on me that can/will cause damage if I fall on it.
Old December 21, 2008, 11:56 PM   #13
redrick

A holster with a snap, or a Mika pocket holster. Open carry is legal here so I don't worry if anyone notices it while I am riding.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:18 AM   #14
honkylips

Quote:
For use on that noisy chrome vibrator I suggest you use a shoulder rig so it doesn't shake out and fall on the road.

Also, consider some mufflers, you're making the more sensible of us look bad. Consider the arguments we provide for suppressors:

"I don't want to worry about hearing damage."
"I don't want to bother my neighbors."

I'm pretty sure that with those drag pipes, you're doing both.
It's an old cliche (loud pipes save lives), and I must confess that it's not the sole reason I run drag pipes, but darn it, a blip of the throttle has made my presence known to a few non-attentive drivers in the past.

As for carrying on the bike, I generally pocket carry on the inside pocket of my jacket.

Ride safe.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:28 AM   #15
fbrown333@suddenlink

carry

For me it is shoulder holster or strong side inside the waist band as I usually have a vest or jacket on no matter how hot (leather saves skin!!!)
Old December 22, 2008, 12:46 AM   #16
Swampghost

I haven't had my face in the wind for years. Still have a Spitfire MKII Special and a FXE in mothballs. Used to carry a whippet 12 ga. on the left side of the fuel tank. .44 Mag in a breakout shoulder holster, LH draw and a .25 auto or .38/375 revolver wherever it was convienient.

This was also long before 'bikers welcome' signs.
Old December 22, 2008, 01:21 AM   #17
Wagonman

On shorter hops I usually use the fanny pack. On longer trips I use a magnetic tank bag with an holster inside. I find the less on your person on long trips greater than 150 miles the more comfortable you are.

I have tried the Shoulder Holster but it just doesn't seem secure just hanging there when I am going 70-75 mph.

Does anyone use the Shoulder Holster on the Motorcycle/
Old December 22, 2008, 05:45 PM   #18
grymster2007

Make sure you epoxy it into the holster, otherwise it will rattle out and you'll have to pick it up when you go back to get your kidneys.

Nice hard-tail.
Old December 22, 2008, 05:53 PM   #19
Playboypenguin

I ride all the time with my gun in my Blackhawk fanny pack holster.

It has a nice "double locking" clasp so I feel pretty secure.

Old December 22, 2008, 05:55 PM   #20
Playboypenguin

PS: You could have made those pipes a bit shorter. I might take weeks to go deaf with those ones.
Old December 22, 2008, 07:35 PM   #21
zebulonsmith

Quote:
It's an old cliche (loud pipes save lives), and I must confess that it's not the sole reason I run drag pipes, but darn it, a blip of the throttle has made my presence known to a few non-attentive drivers in the past.
So does your horn. If I posted something on this forum about cutting down an AR to a 4" barrel to make it louder, I'd be laughed off the internet.

Loud pipes do nothing but make all motorcyclists look bad. If they promote safety so much, why is it that I've NEVER seen a bike with a noisy exhaust being piloted by someone with full gear and a decent helmet? It's usually some worthless chaps and a vest with, at best, a half helmet that won't protect against anything but falling bird doo.

Sorry to be so passionate about this, but to a real motorcyclist, the "biker" with drag pipes is about the equivalent of a mall ninja. It may sound crazy, but the bike is just as much fun to ride, even if nobody knows you're doing it.
Old December 22, 2008, 07:50 PM   #22
lsfagan

Motorcycle CCW

I carry most of my guns with a clip draw on mt right side it is concealed nicely there and if I need it I can get to on my bike. If I am carrying one of my small guns NAA Mini Mag or My LCP it is in my front pocket in a uncle mikes #2 pocket holster. The clip draw works great for me with my gun combos either my Kahr CW9 or PM40. My Ruger sp101 also carries very well like that. In my opinion the fanny pack:barf::barf: is out any self respecting biker I know would not think of wearing one of those but thats just my opinion.
Old December 22, 2008, 10:53 PM   #23
DonR101395

Quote:
So does your horn. If I posted something on this forum about cutting down an AR to a 4" barrel to make it louder, I'd be laughed off the internet.

Loud pipes do nothing but make all motorcyclists look bad. If they promote safety so much, why is it that I've NEVER seen a bike with a noisy exhaust being piloted by someone with full gear and a decent helmet? It's usually some worthless chaps and a vest with, at best, a half helmet that won't protect against anything but falling bird doo.

Sorry to be so passionate about this, but to a real motorcyclist, the "biker" with drag pipes is about the equivalent of a mall ninja. It may sound crazy, but the bike is just as much fun to ride, even if nobody knows you're doing it.

Dude,
You're starting to sound like Zumbo of the motorcycle world. just sayin'
Old December 22, 2008, 10:57 PM   #24
zebulonsmith

Except that I'm all for a guy (or gal) riding whatever they like, long as they don't feel the need to bother people while they're doing it.
Old December 23, 2008, 09:07 AM   #25
Voyager AL

I carry my 642 in my front pocket,that said, when i rode my Bobber, i wrapped a fannypack around the oil tank, and had my Kel-tec in it. Easily unzipped while riding, with my left hand. Loked like it belonged there. NEVER was asked about why a leather bag on my bike.