The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 26, 2004, 09:23 PM   #1
.45-70 Rifleman

Manton & Co.by Webley & Scott

I need information on a SxS double rifle marked Manton & Co. and made for, or by, Webley & Scott. It is a hammerless boxlock with simple scroll engraving but nothing ornate. The caliber is marked 25-35. The reciever has what I believe are London proof marks - a crown over a V. I have looked in all the resources I have available and I find no association between Manton & Co. and Webley & Scott. Niether can I find any information on a small bore double rifle by Webley & Scott or by Manton & Co for that matter. I am assuming it was made for the USA market because it is marked 25-35 rather than 6.5x52R. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 26, 2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know much but about 10 years ago I saw ads for two or more Manton branded double rifles in .32-40 over a short time. There were three ads placed in Gun List and one in a Cherry's brochure, but only two of them were out at the same time, so maybe there were four similar rifles coming out of closets, but there might have been only two guns being traded around. At least two, though.

There was no mention of W&S.
The Cherry's brochure said they were made in Germany for Manton. It was illustrated and their rifle was as you describe.

Crown (V) is the London view mark. There ought to be more proof marks than that.
Old December 26, 2004, 11:56 PM   #3
.45-70 Rifleman

The actions look very much like the 700 series Webley & Scott actions but I am wondering if they are just knock-offs.
Old December 27, 2004, 05:48 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

This was posted sometime ago in this forum and I am unable to post it again. If you will refer to the old postings you will be able to determine the Manton. The attached is also from SXS's of the World, however, these guns were after the death of J Manton

HJN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manton Joseph-1.jpg (36.7 KB, 75 views)
Old December 27, 2004, 09:20 AM   #5
.45-70 Rifleman

Thank you, Harley. I had already looked through the forum before posting. All that I learned was that Mr. Manton had died before this gun was manufactured (the .25-35 didn't appear until 1895) and that the Manton name was subsequently used on some low end doubles. I was looking for more though.

1. Did Webley & Scott offer a SxS hamerless boxlock double rifle in a model marked Manton & Co on the sides of the reciever?
2. Did this start as a SxS shotgun that was later modified with rifle barrels?
3. Upon further examination of the proof marks it appears that some marks were struck out. Does this mean it was reproofed?
4. It says "NITROPROVED" and I see the number 32 three times. Could that be 3.2 and would that make it safe for the 38,000psi .25-35 ammunition? The barrels are not laminated or damascus and the bores are very good.
Old December 27, 2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Lawyer Daggit

manton & Co by Webley & Scott

Manton as you know is a well known UK manufacturer- as is Webley & Scott.

A number of larger manufacturers like Webley used to market other peoples guns under their name but I have never seen the two names together.

Interesting piece.

Is it a shooter?
Old December 28, 2004, 09:57 AM   #7
.45-70 Rifleman

I have yet to take it to the range. I want to be sure it is safe for factory ammo.
Old December 28, 2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Jim Watson

There has never been but one standard loading of .25-35, if it was in proof and safe when new, it is safe now.

But I am confused. Is it MARKED Webley & Scott? Or just Manton? If the latter, where does the W&S connection come from?

What are the rest of the proof marks?
Old January 7, 2005, 08:58 PM   #9
.45-70 Rifleman

The receiver looks just like a Webley & Scott 700; even the scroll engraving. On both sides of the receiver is a scroll that says, "Manton & Co". On one of the barrels it says, "Manton & Co London & Calcutta 25-35 WCF". On the other barrel it says, "Made Especially by Webley & Scott, LTD". I was wrong about the numbers with the proof marks, they are 22 and not 32. There are several proof marks. One is a crown over a V. One is a crown over a circle with an r shape through it. One is a funny hat looking thing with NP under it. There are also some wierd scrolly (proof?) marks that I cannot make out. The barrels lool like they are in the original caliber. They absoultely are not shotgun barrel inserts or sleeves.
Old January 7, 2005, 10:13 PM   #10
gordo b.

25-35 is mild and a very cool caliber in my opinion. I Ranch Formaned with a 94 Win 25-35 for 3 years and never felt undergunned in central calif. I would love that double, you could E-mail Ross Siefried at 'rifle' a wolfe publication- he loves those things!