The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 21, 2015, 05:45 AM   #1
roza

husqvarna hva action.

Hi guys i have recently got a husqvarna 1600 in.30-06, the hva action is smooth but i dont like the bolt release. Not as good as the usual mauser 98 style one. Has anyone had much experience with these rifles? would love to know more about them.

Also i would like to get a monte carlo stock for it.
Would it fit into a 98 stock? obviously there would be an empty space where the bolt release is, but apart from that would it work? thanks very much guys
Old July 21, 2015, 08:31 AM   #2
taylorce1

You'll need a small ring Mauser 98 stock IIRC for a 1600 action.

Richard's Microfit has a few in stock on their bargains/2nds list. I wouldn't buy from Richard's unless they show it in stock on their bargains/2nds list, as you'll be very frustrated with the company otherwise with long wait times and excuses. Just make sure you email to find out if they have it in inventory as it isn't always correct.

Last edited by taylorce1; July 21, 2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add info on Richard's
Old July 21, 2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I did a little Googling for you and found reference to using 98 stocks and filling in around the large ring inletting.
I think taylor is right, a small ring Mauser stock (Small ring 98 like a G33/40?)will be closer to right, but it is not going to be a drop-in either way.
Old July 21, 2015, 10:48 PM   #4
Scorch

There's no need to guess which stock will fit it, Richards Microfit inlets for the Husqvarna actions. When you call to order, just tell the person taking your order (usually Helen or Ruben) what you have, and they will help you out. Lead time right now is about 6-8 weeks.
Old July 21, 2015, 11:19 PM   #5
taylorce1

Scorch, maybe you have a better rapport with them. I've fought with them over a year to get a stock they said would take 8 weeks. That's why I just stick to what they have on hand.

Last edited by taylorce1; July 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old July 22, 2015, 12:02 AM   #6
littlephil

Just my .02, but you might want to get ahold of boyds also. If they don't already make stocks for your rifle, they will probably let you send it to them to use for a reference to make stocks for that model. I believe they even let you have the stock for free if you do that, though I could be wrong.
Old July 22, 2015, 05:41 AM   #7
roza

Cheers guys im all the way in new zealand. I know boydes are good at shipping to nz, but il probly have to email them to double check the hva stock, sureley they should make on right?
Old July 22, 2015, 10:04 AM   #8
taylorce1

Body's doesn't currently make a small ring 98 action only the large ring 98 . I checked before I recommend Richard's. However I didn't realize you were a New Zelander, I don't know if Richard's ships there or not but it might be worth an email.
Old July 22, 2015, 11:39 PM   #9
littlephil

Yep, same here. Didn't think to ask about a location. I'm sure you'd probably have a difficult time trying to ship a firearm in this instance.
Old July 25, 2015, 10:52 PM   #10
oldscot3

I have a Smith & Wesson branded husky that was my dad's... really finely crafted old school mauser variant with a few "improvements" such as a Winchester mod 70 style blade ejector that is angled to fit a slot below the left side lug so the lug isn't bisected.

The factory trigger was horrible though. Huber Concepts trigger is in mine now.

My Husqvarna is a model 1640 series that came with a pretty nice stock, I would think you ought to be able to find a replacement for yours without to much trouble.

There is another forum with a whole section on Swedish commercial rifles. There are several very knowledgeable members willing to share info.
Old July 27, 2015, 02:41 PM   #11
HiBC

Mine is a Husky 5000 action.Its a slightly redesigned small ring long action that came in 7 mm Rem Mag.
IMO,the "beauty" attribute of the receiver is its light weight.
IMO,the best application for it would take advantage of that lightness.

The Boyds and Richards stocks are quite heavy due to all the resin gluing the plywood together.

Long ago I replaced the Husky trigger with a Canjar.A Timney is available.

I blueprinted mine.I surface ground the bedding surfaces,squared the receiver ring face.The locking surfaces in the receiver and on the bolt lugs were not well machined.I set them up,refaced everything lightly,then lapped in the lugs.
I put a Lilja # 3 barrel in it,Chambered 30-338.

I bedded it in a blind magazine Hi-Tec Specialties stock for a large ring Mauser.This stock is well made,and weighs 20 oz.

The bbl is fully free floated.I made steel pillars and bedded them in,initially,so the receiver and barrel were centered and free floated on nothing but the pillars.I used either a Krag or Rem 700 guard.
The original Cast aluminum guard/floorplate had snapped at the floorplate hinge pin when being pulled from a glassbed job in the original wood stock.Beware,they do snap very easy!Just pulling on the guard with two fingers did it.
I trimmed down the broken box ,thinned the walls,and used it for a shell to glue in the stock as mag box.

Then I went back and bedded the receiver,with the pillars being "master"

Given how light the rifle was turning out,and with consideration to the anticipated recoil of the 30-338,I compromised a bit and gained a few oz using Brownells Steel bed.

It came out a very nice tool.It shoots good,and is quite comfortable to carry for a rifle designed around trajectory matching the B+C reticle holds to 600 yds.

Last edited by HiBC; July 27, 2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old July 27, 2015, 02:55 PM   #12
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
The Boyds and Richards stocks are quite heavy due to all the resin gluing the plywood together.
Both Boyd's and Richard's offer more than just heavy laminated wood stocks these days.
Old July 31, 2015, 11:25 PM   #13
roza

Can ya show us some photos of your 30-338 it sounds awesome
Old August 10, 2015, 02:26 AM   #14
roza

Also does timney do a trigger for the hva, mine is a little on the heavy side
Old August 11, 2015, 08:56 AM   #15
oldscot3

No, but Huber does. I recently put one in mine, it made a huge difference.

Tags
.30-06 , husqvarna , hva , mauser , mauser98