The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 02:50 PM   #51
SPEMack618

In reading some of the comments to the various newspaper articles concerning Magpul's statements, I'm shocked by the outright hostility of the anti-gun folks.

Do they not realize the impact this will have on thier local economy?

And to generalize and foreshadow, if my Criminal Behavior professor was to be believe, as an area looses job, the affluent people of means and education move out, tax revenues plummet, schools decline and crime rates rise.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:24 PM   #52
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I fear they don't care, and they'll do their best to sweep the impact under the rug.

Remember, these people know that new laws won't reduce violence, yet they still keep pushing.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:00 PM   #53
Wrothgar

Apparently Governor Hickenlooper still isn't quite sold on it. Yes, he's wishy washy politically, but he was a very successful BUSINESSman. SO, maybe his business sense will get the better of him. Not holding my breath though.

Source
Old February 20, 2013, 06:41 PM   #54
Dr Big Bird PhD

While I am very far from holding my breath regarding the bill being vetoed... is there any way that if it is vetoed, the veto could get the votes to be overturned?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 20, 2013, 06:59 PM   #55
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Apparently Governor Hickenlooper still isn't quite sold on it.
Hey, it looks like I may have been wrong. Nobody let word of that get out, though

I do object to the author's incorrect usage of the word decimate, however.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:32 PM   #56
Willie Sutton

Every 10th man, Tom... every 10th man.....

Willie

Old February 20, 2013, 07:40 PM   #57
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
I fear they don't care
Agree. It's tow the party line regardless of what their personal feelings are or what the feelings of their constituents are.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:59 PM   #58
Wrothgar

Hey now, a couple of Dem's in the house did vote against some of the bills. It was the freshman reps that got calls from Biden that will lose their jobs and voted for the bills.

That said, I'm CERTAINLY not standing up for them.

Last edited by Wrothgar; February 20, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:24 PM   #59
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Hey now, a couple of Dem's in the house did vote against some of the bills.
And I hope voters remember that next election. Voters are just as guilty of blindly towing party lines. If this law passes and it results in politicians being voted out, I hope some of the Democratic supporters don't suffer the consequences of their peers' actions.

If that does happen, what's the encouragement for Democrats to ally with us in the future?
Old February 21, 2013, 01:31 AM   #60
psycho nut

Quote:
While I am very far from holding my breath regarding the bill being vetoed... is there any way that if it is vetoed, the veto could get the votes to be overturned?
from the sound of it, the votes were extrememly close as is. 49/51 is not a veto breaker.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:35 AM   #61
rebs

Politicians are willing to sacrifice economy and jobs to satisfy their own ego's. What a shame. Come election time these people need to be voted out. Its plain to see they do not have the best interests of the people in mind. How can they possibly justify doing more damage by passing laws that do nothing to prevent crime and only serve to cost jobs, further hurt the economy, lower revenues and place unjust burden on the law abiding citizens, no to mention infringing upon our 2nd amendment rights ?
Old February 21, 2013, 09:27 PM   #62
SycoPath

Do you think that politicians never even give a thought that the only reason they have jobs is because of all the legal gun owners in this country? Now they are trying to get rid of the only things that are keeping them in office, our guns. There is an old saying that "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach". That should be changed to "Those who can, do; those who can't, get elected".
Old February 23, 2013, 08:32 PM   #63
Glenn E. Meyer

I was just reading the Denver Post on the issue and some state reps say they don't care but perhaps they could make the bill business friendly.

In the letter columns, many said it was a hollow threat as it would cost too much or good ridance.

I seem to recall many companies pulling up stakes from the East and moving towards the Sun Belt - with sweet heart deals from the states, it would be quite practical.

It was suggested that they could make gun locks instead. Yep, giant market for those.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:30 PM   #64
old roper

I didn't vote for Gov Hicklenlooper but he's been pretty fair and no question were going to get background checks on private sales.

this is the Gov you don't hear about

http://www.denverpost.com/opinioncol...oderator-chief

This is another problem here

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22...ar-reaps-viral
NRA Life Member
Old February 24, 2013, 01:15 PM   #65
Mike40-11

Wrothgar, that editorial is the kind of thing that just drives me nuts. That attitude is what makes it nearly impossible for me to even engage with the anti-gun folks. Just utter condescension and automatic assumption of their overwhelming mental and moral superiority. Make me just want to scream "You're wrong, you're lying, and you know it. Either that or you really are that dumb. And you want to call me the idiot."

I feel like they are standing there shouting how stupid I am for refusing to admit that the sky is clearly green, as everyone who isn't a moron knows.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:19 AM   #66
freedash22

The politicians have lost their way

So the politicians will kill world-class local industries, pass laws that destroy lives through unemployment and alienate responsible gun owners to satisfy their personal misguided agendas? I find this warped behavior offensive!

Magpul has done the entire world a great service with quality products and this is the thanks that they get?

Unreasonable, uneducated, ungrateful and unforgivable are few words that come into mind.

Last edited by freedash22; February 25, 2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:52 AM   #67
Doc Intrepid

I also wrote MagPul and gave them a pitch to relocate to the PNW - rebuild in the Great American Redoubt.

The fact is that cars once made Detroit great. Similarly, companies that manufacture firearms and magazines should concentrate their facilities in areas where their community support, jobs, and commitment to the area will be welcomed and valued. Form enclaves of mutual support in gun friendly states.

This issue isn't going to go away. It will remain a hot button topic for years to come. Dealing with the issue intelligently now may determine a firearms company's success years into the future.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:48 AM   #68
Wrothgar

No offense but Washington State and Oregon haven't exactly had the best track record as of late, correct?
Old February 25, 2013, 11:09 AM   #69
kraigwy

The Wyoming Legislator put out the Welcome Mat to Magpul (competing with other states) inviting them to move north.

They laid out the advantages of one of the most gun friendly states, low taxes, no income taxes, no inventory taxes, low property taxes plus its not that far to move.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 25, 2013, 11:27 AM   #70
22-rimfire

Quote:

And to generalize and foreshadow, if my Criminal Behavior professor was to be believe, as an area looses job, the affluent people of means and education move out, tax revenues plummet, schools decline and crime rates rise.
I think the anti-gun crowd believe the company is making idle threats.

People should read up on the Eastern Sports Show in Harrisburg PA that was "post poned" after the AR issue came early this month. That was an economic lesson in solidarity.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:38 PM   #71
Wrothgar

The Magpul exec has stated multipile times that he means it. I promise you the lefties here don't care about losing jobs as long as it gets them little warm fuzzies.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:54 PM   #72
BarryLee

Quote:
The Wyoming Legislator put out the Welcome Mat to Magpul (competing with other states) inviting them to move north.
While I’m not familiar with the area this seems to make the most sense based on a quick glance at a map. So, could employees maintain their current residences in Colorado and reasonably drive to a new plant around Cheyenne?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 25, 2013, 02:26 PM   #73
LockedBreech

Magpul leaving Colorado?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
While I’m not familiar with the area this seems to make the most sense based on a quick glance at a map. So, could employees maintain their current residences in Colorado and reasonably drive to a new plant around Cheyenne?
Heck yeah. Cheyenne to FoCo is an easy, straight-shot, 25-30 minute drive. I go from Laramie to FoCo all the time.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:32 PM   #74
lcpiper

Quote:
The Magpul exec has stated multipile times that he means it. I promise you the lefties here don't care about losing jobs as long as it gets them little warm fuzzies.
They are the same kind of people who will then claim that their community has been economically devastated by this issue, (which any sane person knew this had to be done), and they will seek Government assistance.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:31 AM   #75
Armorer-at-Law

For the long game, I hope Colorado passes the ban, Magpul moves, and then the ban is struck down as unconstitutional. I don't wish the expense of a move on Magpul, but it would provide a lesson of unintended consequences to states that legislate impulsively.