The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 27, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Why did I get a new license?

I just received a new 03 FFL from the BATF. My renewal isn't due until June 1, 2014. This one has a convenient wallet sized card attached that I don't remember being attached to my last one.
Has anybody else gotten this new document, and is the card recognized as the license for purchases?
It states at the bottom "Please note: Not Valid for the Sale or Other Disposition of Firearms"
If it isn't to be used as your license, what the heck is it for?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 27, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ask BATFE, but it sounds like it is valid for purchase and acquisition of firearms that meet the C&R criteral. A wallet size card would make it easier to buy C&R items at gun shows and auctions anywhere in the U.S. without carrying license copies. The seller would only need to record the license number.

Jim
Old November 28, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
kilimanjaro

It means you can't deal in firearms. The license is for acquiring Curio and Relic firearms and making the occaisonal trade or sale to improve your collection.

A dealer's license is an FFL01. This is an FFL03. It's valid for purchases, although many FFL01 dealers still run the NICS check, etc., etc.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:53 AM   #4
leadchucker

You received a renewal of your 03 C&R license early and unsolicited??? I would think you have to apply for a renewal.

As far as the wallet card, that could be something new for convenience. It would beat having to keep a folded copy of the licence in your wallet. For those unexpected opportunities.

I assume that this new license has the correct number, matching your old license?? Still, this is all strange. Something is not right here. Call up the BATFE and find out what is going on.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:51 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
is the card recognized as the license for purchases?
No it is not. It states so on the card. BATF&E has issued these wallet cards for over a year now.

You normally receive a renewal notice about 90 days before the current lic. expires.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

But that is not what it says. According to the OP, it says "not valid for sale or disposition", which means it is valid for purchase or acquisition. If it is not valid for sale or purchase then it is nothing and why issue it?

Or maybe I am guilty of not being able to read English.

Jim
Old November 29, 2012, 08:12 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

"not valid for sale or disposition"

SALE

noun

1. the act of selling.
2. opportunity to sell; demand: slow sale.
3. transfer of property for money or credit.

I have yet to find a gun shop that well except the cards as a 03 ffl.

I agree, why issue it.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:22 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

So you interpret that as saying that the card is not valid for either sale to or sale by the bearer. I read it as not valid for sale by the bearer, but valid for sale to the bearer (of C&R items).

If the former interpretaion is correct, it is nothing. Has anyone asked BATFE for their idea on what it means or is it more fun to argue among ourselves?

Jim
Old November 29, 2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You received a renewal of your 03 C&R license early and unsolicited??? I would think you have to apply for a renewal.
No, it's not a renewal. It is a new license with the same expiration date as the one I renewed last year (June of 2011).
The differences arethe small, nickle sized DOJ seal at the top left of the one issued is not present on the new one, the words Federal Firearms License with (19 U.S.C Chapter 44) underneath are top center with U.S. Department of Justice on the left side with Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco firearms and Explosives under that. Some other layout changes as well. And the addition of fore mentioned wallet card.

Quote:
As far as the wallet card, that could be something new for convenience. It would beat having to keep a folded copy of the licence in your wallet. For those unexpected opportunities

The card does contain all the information that would be needed by the seller. However, the only time I have bought C&R firearms in person in the past 10 years of having my C&R license has been from Cole's at the Knob Creek MG shoot. They wanted copies of my license, not to look at, but to keep with their records. Even though I have always had a copy on file with them for on-line, or phone orders.

Quote:
Quote:
It means you can't deal in firearms. The license is for acquiring Curio and Relic firearms and making the occaisonal trade or sale to improve your collection.

A dealer's license is an FFL01. This is an FFL03. It's valid for purchases, although many FFL01 dealers still run the NICS check, etc., etc.
I am well aware of that, having had my 03 C&R license for over 10 years. Not to mention a bound book that looks like a phone book!

Quote:
I assume that this new license has the correct number, matching your old license?? Still, this is all strange. Something is not right here. Call up the BATFE and find out what is going on.
The plot thickens!!! Ah, the ole "assumption"!
I did to, until I re-read your post and checked that is. First number is correct, the two digits after the dash are OK, BUT!!! the three digits after the second dash don't match my original. Oh, Oh, Somebody's going to be delayed in getting their license!!!
The strange thing is everything else is correct. Name, address, expiration date. So why would they be issuing a new, or renewal license in November of 2012 that has an expiration date of June, 2014. Only 18 months, not three years.
I agree, a phone call tomorrow is in order.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:59 AM   #10
ronz

When I received mine it had the wallet card on the bottom
Only used it once and didn’t have to pay for a background check or wait to pick it up
Only difference that I noticed was they had to enter the page where the pistol was listed in the c&r book
Old December 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

I just made a call to BATF about this "mystery" license. The answer I got for the discrepancy in the number was that it is part of their filing system, and would be different that an older license. He had no explanation for why I received the new license, only asking me if I renewed my license. I told him that it was over one year ago, and I have the original that was sent to me then. Still no explanation for the new document, but he assured me that it would be my current, valid license. Still got me confused. Especially since it seems that nobody else has gotten one "out of the blue".
Old December 3, 2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Another call, and a little more digging. turns out that the BATF HAD THE COUNTY OF MY ADDRESS WRONG FOR THE PAST 10+YEARS!. The new license is due to a "change of address", even though my premises hasn't moved an inch in the ten years that I've had my license.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:57 PM   #13
leadchucker

So what we've learned from this is that when you renew your 03 now, you get the pocket card FWIW.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:30 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

It sort of makes sense to have it for sale. What happens if you don't have alicense with you and you see something you like? If yo are carrying something for wale you should probably be prepared. Sometimes ATFE isn't so bad.