The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 6, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
DepOne

Red Dot mount on a Browning 22 takedown

I want to mount a small red dot sight on my Browning Grade II takedown .22 and the only mount that fits (that I can find) is Browning's 22 scope mount that replaces the rear sight. It's too narrow for the grip on the mount on the red dot to close over it. The sight is obviously designed for a Picatinney rail and not a .22 scope. If I try to mount a regular Picatinney rail on the barrel it doesn't conform to the radius of the barrel because it has a flat bottom. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have a suggestion?
Old December 6, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
zoomie

What type red dot? Does it have rings integral to the sight or do you have the sight in separate rings?

They do make an adapter:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/563...et-screw-matte

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...WEAVER-ADAPTER

Last edited by zoomie; December 6, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old December 7, 2011, 11:25 AM   #3
DepOne

Thanks for the input. The problem is, on the Browning the scope base is installed by removing the rear sight (held on by two screws tapped into the barrel) and then attaching the 22 scope base to that. My Red Dot has a clamp system (see picture) on the bottom that has the width needed for the much wider Picatinny rail. Even if I drilled matching holes in a Picatinny rail and mounted it on the barrel, the rail has a flat bottom and the barrel has a radius so it would not sit securely.

I think I'm either stuck with a conventional scope or iron sights. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red dot.jpg (3.7 KB, 37 views)
Old December 7, 2011, 02:57 PM   #4
zoomie

You understand that the adapters mount on top of the 3/8" scope rail, right?

You would keep the mount you already had, add this one, then mount your scope to that. Not saying it's the ideal setup and you might not want to use it, but if what's on your rifle now is a standard 3/8" rail, it's an option.

You could also get a red dot with the 3/8" base.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/323...un-mount-matte
Old December 7, 2011, 04:14 PM   #5
DepOne

A different red dot is probably the best idea. There are NO rails on the browning. You have to buy their mount ($65) to get that. When rape is inevitible, relax and enjoy it, I guess.