The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1
AF_Reloader

Pet Load Questions--Here's an answer

Just an FYI for people asking for pet load information for their particular rifle.

I just picked up a used 2001 edition of the "Pet Loads" book by Ken Waters, and it's the best $20 I've spent in a while. Not only does it have history on rifles/loads from 1966 to the present, but Ken lists loads by most accurate, best overall, dangerous pressure, etc.

I'm using this book along with my Nosler book, and I don't think that pair can be beat. Here it is at Amazon:

Ken Waters' Pet Loads

It's got great stuff in there, including information and commentaries from Jack O'Connor and Col. Townsend Whelen.

Check this book out!

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"
Old December 3, 2008, 07:36 PM   #2
wncchester

Glad you like the book. It does have some interesting reading but I've never found anyone else's "pet loads" to do really well in my rifles.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Gun 4 Fun

If you want some really good load data, join Wolfe Publishing's Load Data sight. Here is the link. http://www.riflemag.com/. I've had Pet Loads one and two for quite some time now, and Waters does a great job as always. However, he didn't have access to pressure equipment for most, if not all his loads, so he's a little conservative in some of his recommendations, when compared to modern pressure tested data.