The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 15, 2016, 12:48 AM   #26
Venom1956

make sure sure thats actual stainless not unblued carbon
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 15, 2016, 07:59 AM   #27
Skans

Quote:
Skans, that 8 shot S&W is not that convenient as a carry gun, this Kimber Carey's like a J frame
Yes, that is what makes the Kimber intriguing to me. Now I want both! I actually have some money off to the side to buy a S&W J-frame Chiefs Special, when I find the right one for the right price. I may opt to forgo that purchase and put that money toward the Kimber. I'll wait a bit and see what people report on it.
Old December 15, 2016, 12:36 PM   #28
Model12Win

With a proper holster and a good cover garment, the N-frame snubs are no more difficult to conceal over a J-frame, yet offer much better firepower. I personally know of several people who CCW Smith M627 8-shot .357s and you'd never know it if you saw them.

Guys you need to be dressing around the gun. Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none. Always carry a backup. This new Kimber is set to make for a great BUG but there's no excuse not to carry a more capable revolver.
Old December 15, 2016, 01:08 PM   #29
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable.
I must be lucky. For me it's both!

Quote:
And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none. Always carry a backup. This new Kimber is set to make for a great BUG but there's no excuse not to carry a more capable revolver.
This is off topic, so you can take my comment as just my opinion, but I don't agree with this logic. A BUG is a choice, not a necessity. Much like a CCW to begin with. And a 5-shooter can be a legitimate choice, IMO and I see no reason why the 6-shot Kimber will not make someone an excellent CCW.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; December 15, 2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old December 15, 2016, 04:18 PM   #30
mk70ss

Yes, carrying a full size 7 or 8 shot revolver is not hard to hide on ones person. But the weight on your hip all day and the bulge riding in many car seats (bucket seats especially) gets old fairly quickly if you carry every time you leave the house like I do. I carry a speed strip with 6 extra rounds and I feel very well protected with a 6 shot .357.

Pond, James Pond: this is a countered bored cylinder. The cartridge heads sit flush in the cylinder. Just a nice touch, it changes the function zero.

Last edited by mk70ss; December 15, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old December 15, 2016, 05:35 PM   #31
Skans

Are you sure that isn't bored for moonclips?

Quote:
Carrying is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none. Always carry a backup.
I'm not sold on any of that! I don't dress around the gun; I demand comfort; and I never carry a backup. Carrying keys, wallet cellphone and gun are too much for me, so the gun or the cellpone end up staying in my car - mostly the cellphone. Yes, I'm a lazy SOB!
Old December 15, 2016, 07:22 PM   #32
mk70ss

Skans, Not for moon lips. just counter bored like the old S&W revolvers.
Old December 15, 2016, 10:29 PM   #33
Buckeye!

Now ,a stout 357mag 6 shooter which is J'ish + size is a great Idea .. And one built is a better Idea .. I have always been a fan of the 357mag .. Charter builds a 6 shot 38spl & 9mm .. that is steel and is just a hair bigger than the J frame
I have thought seriously about that little Charter .. But having 4 38spl 5 shooters , I really coudn't justifi the purchase ...
But I will keep my eyes on ths little Kimber in the next couple of years and most likely pick one up when the "new" wears off and prices come down ..

Last edited by Buckeye!; December 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old December 17, 2016, 11:10 AM   #34
copfish

Great looking blaster! I'm going to put that one on my list of wants.
Old December 17, 2016, 03:41 PM   #35
firespec35

To each his own. I'm not a fan of the lines. Just doesn't seem as elegant as a Smith to me. It seems like a nice gun and I like some of the quality touches they did. Glad you like it and just think of it as 1 more out there cause I'm not looking for one

S&W 669
Old December 18, 2016, 12:51 PM   #36
dgludwig

QUOTE" "...To each his own. I'm not a fan of the lines. Just doesn't seem as elegant as a Smith to me..."

Same here. Not ugly like a Ruger LCR but the lines seem too "angular" to my eyes. The looks of the Kimber might grow on me but the LCR never will.
Old December 21, 2016, 07:06 PM   #37
22-rimfire

Looked at one in a gun shop yesterday. It is a very nice DA snubbie 357. I would love to own one. The lines work for me.
Old December 21, 2016, 07:46 PM   #38
mete

James, on the other side of the Pond !
In the 'old days' they made 'balloon head' cases that is the rim was hollow and wouldn't take the higher pressures of the modern solid rim cases. The counter bore was to be a safety in case the rim ruptured .
Balloon cases are no longer made so it's a moot point !!
See " Sixguns" by Elmer Keith
Old December 23, 2016, 02:30 PM   #39
Brian48

Don't normally get over excited about new revolvers, but I really like this one. I hope these make it here in the people's republic.
Old December 23, 2016, 03:12 PM   #40
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
James, on the other side of the Pond !
In the 'old days' they made 'balloon head' cases that is the rim was hollow and wouldn't take the higher pressures of the modern solid rim cases. The counter bore was to be a safety in case the rim ruptured .
Wow. There's a bit of history!

I thought it was just to stop grit or something getting in the breech face area.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; December 23, 2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old December 24, 2016, 02:40 AM   #41
mete

A proper counter bore cylinder completely surrounds the rim. The Kimber one would not prevent a rim rupture .
Those who don't know will be happy with the "cool factor" !
Old December 28, 2016, 11:31 PM   #42
CDR_Glock

I love the sights and the cylinder release latch on it. I like the J frame size with a Medium sized revolver capacity.

I read the trigger is only 10 pounds. Is it really smooth?

What's a good price? I've been eyeing one at $750 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 29, 2016, 12:57 AM   #43
shootniron

Nice revolver...I love the looks and I love our Kimber auto's...so, I am sure that I would like the K6.

Quote:
And remember, two guns is one and one gun is none.
This ^^^^ is HOGWASH...
Old January 2, 2017, 09:16 AM   #44
rodfac

Quote:
Maybe with a new gun and new tooling for the revolver Kimber will revive its reputation as far as quality control goes.
My thoughts exactly; glad it's working out for you and it does look well put together. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old January 3, 2017, 06:16 PM   #45
NewportNewsMike

Very nice looking revolver. I have not seen one around here yet.

Quick question: Is the front on the cylinder held by the end of the extractor rod like S&W's? Or is it secured at the crane, a la Ruger style?
Old January 5, 2017, 12:04 PM   #46
XDforever

I think I might want one!!

Thanks for sharing.

Joe
S&W 642 PC Talo Edition, Ruger LCR 22 LR
Old January 5, 2017, 12:09 PM   #47
rodfac

Quote:
But the weight on your hip all day and the bulge riding in many car seats (bucket seats especially) gets old fairly quickly if you carry every time you leave the house like I do.
Oh, so very true, and eventually, you don't bother....a smaller, lighter piece is a better choice for many, and the reason I generally have a M60 Smith with a 3" bbl. on my belt. I'd opine that it's the grip lenth that's the determiner in CC use, not the barrel (within reason).

The overall size of Kimber's latest offering seems to fit the smaller is better criteria.

YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. Far better men than I, died that we could be FREE.

Old January 5, 2017, 01:10 PM   #48
Jim Watson

Quote:
Balloon cases are no longer made so it's a moot point !!
There is a certain amount of confusion about that.
There have been three types of centerfire cartridge, not two.
The "folded head" made like a rimfire but with centerfire priming - early ones internal so they even looked like a rimfire - was not strong and was subject to rim ruptures.

The "balloon head" has the characteristic primer pocket bulge into the powder space because the head is thin. But the rim is solid. UMC even headstamped such cases S H for Solid Head. While at risk of casehead separation with heavy loads or reloads after mercuric primers, there is no particular danger of the rim rupturing. Sharpe referred to them as "semi-balloon head" but thought they should have been called "solid rim."

Now we have the standard "solid head" with the casehead thick enough to contain the primer pocket. Stout stuff. (You can look at some of the cheap 9mm empties and see some strange contours down in there, though.)

The first recessed rim revolver cylinders I know of were in .22s, about the time .22 High Velocity ammo came out.

The first recessed rim centerfire revolver cylinder I know of was the S&W .357 Magnum. The .357 Magnum was introduced in solid head cases and by that time, even semi-balloon head .38 Special was not common. So I don't know what S&W thought they were guarding against. Nothing that worried Colt or Ruger, at any rate.

Elmer Keith made a distinction between balloon head and solid head .44 Specials, loading the stronger but smaller volume solid head cases with a grain LESS of No 2400.

Henry Stebbins wrote in 1960 of finding most of a box of solid head .45 LC at the range, which he and Bert Shay thought a Fine Thing, but did not say when that actually occurred, he put a lot of history in that book.
Old January 5, 2017, 02:40 PM   #49
rodfac

Jim, My copy of that old book is so ratty that it's in need of a complete rebinding. Great information...and his write ups have influenced the way I describe guns and ammunition ever since. Too, his (and his co-writers) have cost me a few bucks over the years in guns that I'd never probably wanted had I not virtually memorized "Pistols - A Modern Encyclopedia". Rod

Old January 6, 2017, 04:29 PM   #50
Jim Watson

Henry Stebbins was a great writer, being an English professor as well as a gun crank. I had Pistols, A Modern Encyclopedia, Rifles, A Modern Encyclopedia, and How to Select and Use Your Big Game Rifle, but lost them in the fire. A friend provided a number of gun books from his collection to rebuild my library, so I got Pistols back.
He also had at least a couple of articles in Gun Digest over the years.