The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2000, 08:00 PM   #1
hickok45

Has anybody had any experience carrying and/or shooting the S&W 696 (.44 Special 3" stainless)? I love little .44 Specials, even though this one doesn't look all that small.

Thanks,
Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966
Old March 8, 2000, 08:12 PM   #2
Gunslinger

I don't personally have one but have a shot a friends and love it. As you said they are not especialy small and perhaps partically due to that the recoil was quite managable.
As an interesting side note I have seen one that slipped through the factory that will except magnum cartridges.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 8, 2000, 08:26 PM   #3
David Roberson

I've had one since shortly after they came on the market. I like mine a lot -- it handles and shoots great. It's not the easiest revolver to conceal, but it can be done. Its main drawback as a CC weapon is that it carries only 5 rounds, but all of us who have carried J-frame revolvers are already used to that.

Factory .44 Special loads are quite mild in this gun, and handloading can step up the effectiveness of this caliber by a considerable amount, and in perfect safety.

Dave-Bob says check it out.
Old March 8, 2000, 09:59 PM   #4
juliet charley

It's a little big (read massive) for what you get (five rounds of .44 Special). Size aside, I like it. I think it would be a better revolver if Smith hung a tapered barrel, stuck with black sights (vice the white outline and red ramp), and maybe a set of boot grips on it. (I really hate full lug barrels.)
Old March 8, 2000, 11:53 PM   #5
45 Fan

Hi G. Glock:
I have had my 696 for about 4 months and am very pleased with the gun. Recoil with hand loads not that bad. The only thing that I am going to change is the front sight(hate orange). Good shooting.......45Fan
Old March 9, 2000, 12:07 AM   #6
Brasso

Had one, sold it, wish I didn't. It's not small, but with a hi-ride holster it conceals well. I found that it likes soft lead bullets. Jacketed bullets only shot so-so. It's extremely strong though. If you measure the cyclinder walls, you'll find they're every bit as thick as a six shot ruger .44 mag if you count the weakness in the stop notch. I have email from a pretty well known gun writer that he has loaded his well beyond what you would consider sane, with no problems. We're talking double what the cartridge is rated for. I don't reccomend it though. I found that a 240gr cast bullet with 15gr/2400 was about as stout as I would want with a defensive gun. If you get some grips, I reccomend the S&W DiamondWood grips. Their the best fit for concealment and ergonomics that I found and they don't cost much. Plus, they're tough as nails and look really good.
Old March 9, 2000, 01:55 AM   #7
bk40

I bought a 696 a couple of weeks ago. I've only fired 50rds thru it (Blazer 200gr GDHP) but I like mine alot. As soon as as get all of my reloading components, I'll be switching to lead bullets. Going to try Bull-X 200gr RNFP with W231 powder.

I was concerned about recoil as I have a previously broken shooting wrist that never healed completely, but the 696 has been very pleasant to shoot. My primary usage is going to be for HD or as a truck gun. As noted above, the sights don't suit me either and I'm going to have them replaced.

This one is defintely a keeper!

------------------
BKs Pistol Pages
Old March 9, 2000, 10:47 AM   #8
Yanus

I recently bought a M696, but haven't had
a chance to try it out yet. My question
is, since I handload, would 7.5gr Unique
behind a 240 LSWC GC be too stout for the
little gun. I read on another board that
there is a weakness around the area where
the barrel meets the frame, which could
cause the barrel to blow off the gun with
a heavy load. Everywhere I've read suggests
6gr Unique with a 240gr LSWC for about 800fps. Any comments from reloaders out there?

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old March 9, 2000, 11:04 AM   #9
David Roberson

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yanus:
I read on another board that
there is a weakness around the area where
the barrel meets the frame, which could
cause the barrel to blow off the gun with
a heavy load. Everywhere I've read suggests
6gr Unique with a 240gr LSWC for about 800fps. Any comments from reloaders out there?

[/quote]

The barrel/frame weakness sounds like nonsense to me.

I've been happy with 6.4 gr of Unique and a 240-gr SWC.
Old March 9, 2000, 12:22 PM   #10
Yanus

David,
I am also skeptical unless the shooter was
attempting to get 44mag results from a 44spl.
What kind of velocity and accuracy do you
get with the 6.4gr Unique load? Are you shooting a M696? Any 44 caliber gun begs
for LSWC bullets IMHO. That's all I shoot
in my 44mag Redhawk. I use 10gr. Unique
behind a 240 LSWC GC in the 44mag.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"