The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Need Help

Guys (and Gals, if you are reading),
I need your input on this. I am laid up and want to do some reloading.
I have Mag-tech bullets .45 colt, 250 grain, lead Flat nosed (LFLAT)

I have two choices of powder available to me. 2400 and Universal.

What grain do I use? The closet I came to finding the info was 7.5 grain for universal (but it seems to be less than 1/3 of the case is filled) or somewhere, not to exceed 14.0 grains for the 2400. Does this seem correct?
I really want to use the universal powder, because I have not shot it yet. But is there that much of a difference amongst powders?

Using the about components, what would you load these bullets at. Right now I can not get out of the house to get any other type of powder.

I loaded some JHP with 14.8 grains of 2400. They where great, but a little more powerful than I want to shoot. (I still have 25 more rounds of these to fire off.) I was thinking I could load the JHP at 14.0 grains and try them. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I forgot to tell you I am mainly shooting these out of a New Vaquero. Some will be fired out of the Taurus Judge and another .45 Colt revolver my nephew has (Sorry, can not remember the brand).

Last edited by Uncle Buck; July 22, 2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Clarify what I am shooting:
Old July 22, 2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Those powder weights are within the min and max limits published. Although the 7.5 gr of Universal are closer to the upper published max of 7.8 gr. You might want to drop down to 7.0 gr to start with. Yeah, it's normal for Universal and Unique to only fill up 1/3 of the case. I haven't used 2400, but the 14.0 gr is below the max published by Alliant, so you should be OK.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

I loaded a few rounds with 7.5 grains of Universal and a few with 7.0 grains. They both were fantastic to shoot. I am going with the 7.0 grains because it was a little more comfortable to shoot for my nephew.

We are shooting it at 20 yards into green cinder block (hollow blocks, cement blocks or what-ever they call them where you are from). The blocks nicely break and add to the gravel in front of the shooting range.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! Thanks so much for the info. (Why didn't anyone warn me... OK, why didn't I pay attention, when everyone said it would become a hobby and not just a means to beat high ammo prices? I am hooked!)