The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 16, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1
UniversalFrost

22 silencer input needed

Ok folks.

I have been looking around for a .22 silencer for one of my Ruger Chargers and possible to swap onto one of my 10/22 rifles as well.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Outback II or the Quest.

Reviews are needed from owners and please feel free to add any other cans I may want to look into.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 16, 2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Tell ya there Frost, I just got a can from Zak Smiths outfit, www.thunderbeastarms.com, and having dealt with him and his partner Shane I am super impressed.......

Id toss him a PM.

WildreportcomingAlaska ™
Old April 16, 2008, 02:14 PM   #3
UniversalFrost

thanks Ken,

I will have to shoot him a PM.

I am actually in Colorado right now (TDY til June)

So , I might just have to look him up and stop by.

JOE

Old April 16, 2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Zak Smith

Joe,

There are a lot of good .22LR cans. Our is made of Ti and works on .22WMR and .17 HMR also.

Give me a call or email and we can arrange a demo while you're here.

-z
Old April 16, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

Zak I will give you a call in a few days.

I am currently setting up my trust for any future NFA purchases.

Old April 16, 2008, 03:42 PM   #6
VUPDblue

I've got an Outback II and a Quest. The Outback is ever so slightly quieter than the Quest. If you want total quiet, the Outback is the way to go. I got the Quest to run in full auto on my M16/Ciener. It works fantastic in that role, and it can be disassembled for cleaning. It is much heavier than the Outback, and a bit louder, but it is still a good can.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:22 PM   #7
HankB

Quote:
There are a lot of good .22LR cans. Our is made of Ti and works on .22WMR and .17 HMR also.
Your website says your suppressors are "sealed" . . .

I'm not even a low-grade expert on suppressors, but I know .22s are dirty, and postings in the forums at http://www.silencertests.com/ assert that all sorts of schmutz will accumulate inside a .22 suppressor over time.

How do you clean it out of a sealed can?
Old April 16, 2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Lavid2002

interesting hank...

how would you clean the can?
Old April 16, 2008, 10:36 PM   #9
UniversalFrost

well, from what i have done in the past on my other cans was to soak in gun cleaner than run a brush through then rinse. Of course always go by the makers recommendations.

JOE

Old April 16, 2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Zak Smith

I make sure to shoot some high velocity ammo through it now and then, and I tap it on my bumper to knock the crud out. I have about 2500 rounds through my personal demo can right now and there is no buildup. That's my "cleaning is over-rated" spiel. However, since it's Ti, you can use solvents and/or an ultrasonic cleaner if you really have to get it clean.
Old April 17, 2008, 09:00 AM   #11
VUPDblue

Check this out... My Outback II weighs almost double what it did when it was new. It still is as quiet as ever. Eventually, I'll send it back to GemTech for a refurb...
Old April 17, 2008, 05:34 PM   #12
PAR

You may want to check out this site before you lay down your money because there's a few more options that may interest you.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/
Old April 17, 2008, 06:19 PM   #13
VUPDblue

I've had quite a few individuals request my assistance when purchasing their first suppressor (usually their first NFA item altogther). Of those I assisted or guided through selection and the process of application, they have bought a wide array of .22 cans. From Tac65's to Outbacks to Pilots to Quests to Aviators to Checkmates and other smaller, lesser known companies. I have yet to have one single person come back and say "I wish I had gone with X instead of the one I got". I would say that the chances are excellent that whichever can you chose, you will not be sorry. .22's are very easy to effectively suppress, and the choices to effect that means are endless because the manufacturers 'get it'. The only thing I would ask myself, is 'how hard am I going to be on this thing'. I couldn't imagine being hard on my Outback (my first can), but my selection criteria for my latest can (Quest) was a bit more rigid because I plan on dumping tens of thousands of fully automatic .22lr's downrange through it. I'm about to buy a Checkmate mostly because I think it is a cool design, it is cheap, and the manufacturer is one guy that does it in his spare time.

Trust me, suppressors are like Ruffles (or whoever), betcha can't have just one...
Old April 17, 2008, 11:33 PM   #14
UniversalFrost

well, guys this is not my first time around the block with cans or NFA items, but I don't own a "modern" (last 5 years) can and was wanting input on the greatest can (in your experience) . I have seen teh 65 in operation and like that you can break it down for cleaning, but have also seen it come loose many times, so that is a turn off. Right now I will only be using for semi auto "plinking", but I might show it slight full auto fire in the future (depending on how my stocks do at the end of the year).

This can (and the 9mm trident I just put money down on) will be my first cans on a trust. All the others were the "normal" process.

If the trust thing works out (all others on another forum I got the details from have had zero problems including several SOT dealers now helping file out the trust's and a private lawyer who does the NFA trusts) I will post my experiences in another thread as well.

Anyway, I am gonna stop by Zak's shop and see his cans first hand. They are interesting and I always like to support fellow TFL members, plus I might look at the 30 cal cans for another purchase later on.

Anyway, Zak's can, the quest and outback II are the finalists so far .

JOE

Old April 18, 2008, 12:25 AM   #15
Legion2600

I have an Outback II & a TAC 67. I like the 67 better. It's built like a tank and I can take it apart -- something I insist on considering the unknown future of NFA stuff.
Old April 21, 2008, 12:46 AM   #16
douglasschuckert

I own the Advanced Armament Company Pilot can. Ive got about 4000 rnds through it (estimated). Its a sealed can so it is not user servicable. Its quieter than the Outback II. I've shot both side-by-side on a couple occaisions. If you want the QUIETEST muzzle can available for .22LR you want to get AAC's Avaitor. Its STUPID Quiet.

If you're can uses ALuminum (sp) baffels, then you DO NOT want to use a sonic cleaner..

Here is how you clean a sealed .22 can.

1. Soak it in Mineral Spirits for 2 days (48 hours) and bang the threadded end against a hard surface. Then let it air dry or blow it out with compressed air... Then shoot the first mag throug it with CCI Stingers or other very hot .22 rounds. 5:10 shots will blow all the other loose crud out the end...

2. Soak it for 4 or 5 hours in gasoline. Tap the treadded end against a hard surface, then blow it dry with an air compressor... DO NOT let it air dry. Gas is costic and can potentially harm aluminum (I dont know for sure). Next time you shoot use HOT rounds for a mag or 2.

THis is all you have to do and it will give you a LIFE-TIME of service. If you do manage to shoot it out, if you purchase a name-brand can the manu's will replace/repair it free of charge. AAC, Gem-Tech, and SWR (SWR's Warlock is VERY, VERY, nice too) will replace or repair a damaged baffle stack free of charge... AAC is a little slow on customer service but will stand behind their products, Gem-Tech is REAL good about standing behind their stuff and customer service is OUTSTANDING, and SWR is top-of-the league as well!

A side note.. Any can that is not sealed will NOT be as quiet as the sealed units are. The TI is a GREAT cheap can. You can take it apart, but there really isn't a need to unless you want to scrub your baffles to a gleaning finish again, but that's not neccessary... really it isn't.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old April 26, 2008, 11:38 PM   #17
BerettaFox

I have a American Armament Corp. (AAC) Pilot. it's tiny and doesn't weigh a thing. You can switch it to your 10-22. It's really quiet. All you can hear is the action of your gun. I haven't ever shot it on a rifle, but I imagine it's much quieter than on my p22. You might pay a little more for one, but hell it has a lifetime warranty.
Old April 26, 2008, 11:48 PM   #18
Zak Smith

Quote:
I have a American Armament Corp. (AAC) Pilot.
AAC = Advanced Armament Corp
Old April 27, 2008, 12:39 AM   #19
dakid2

I am not sure of the brand on our 3 lug MP5, but I think it needs a cleaning or overhaul. Gotta find out the manufacturer first. Thanks for the links earlier on in the thread.
Old April 27, 2008, 03:00 PM   #20
BerettaFox

yeah.... it was really late. but anywho i haven't had the first problem out of mine. my neighbors have PTSD from vietnam and they hated me shooting at all on my property. now for all they know i'm shooting a pellet gun.
Old April 30, 2008, 12:20 AM   #21
LiquidTension7

If I hadn't known a local guy that builds cans, I would have gone with an SWR Spectre or Warlock. After talking with many Gemtech owners, I'll never give them my money. Everything AAC makes is top notch, same with SWR.
Old April 30, 2008, 08:13 AM   #22
VUPDblue

Quote:
After talking with many Gemtech owners, I'll never give them my money
Would you care to expound on that statement?
Old May 14, 2008, 05:48 PM   #23
LiquidTension7

I'll start out by saying that by most accounts the Outback-II is a good can - not as good as the Warlock or Spectre, but good.

I have yet to find anyone that recommends a Trinity over a Trident. I am aware that the Trinity is discontinued, but when I started looking for a multiple mount can those were the options.

There is compelling evidence that they steal designs from other people, while accusing others of the same. The baffle stack in the T2 for example is curiously similar to the stack designed by user green0 over on the silencertalk forums. The inertia device for their new Multimount was quite obviously a direct ripoff of the booster from the AAC Evo. The parts of the booster are even interchangeable. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22033

There's the issue of them trying to get ATF to not allow manufacturers to fix cans that they did not make. AAC has on several occasions rebuilt crappy Gemtech cans into something better, and that is bad for Gemtech's business. The effect of their bitchiness could have been that owners would have to pay another transfer tax to have a can rebuilt - thankfully, that has not happened.

The Gemtech G5 failed the military torture test that 6 of AAC's cans passed. The G5 failed miserably, partially due to key components being held together with roll pins instead of being welded. The thing literally fell apart.
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10473

They claim that it passed the test on a different occasion and many were sent out to the military. If that's true, then either their build quality is inconsistent or they intentionally sell inferior products to non military customers.

Yes, I'm aware that silencertalk.com is owned by an AAC employee. Even so, there's just too much evidence of shadiness for me. And when dozens of board members, several shooting buddies, and two dealers tell me I'd be better off with a can from a different company - well, that's enough for me.
Old May 14, 2008, 06:24 PM   #24
VUPDblue

Quote:
The baffle stack in the T2 for example is curiously similar to the stack designed by user green0 over on the silencertalk forums.
And they are both curiously similar to the AAC Prodigy, the YHM Mite and others. Just because they all are utilizing monolithic baffles doesn't mean that one "stole" the idea from another. When suppressor technology moved beyond wipes and media to "K" baffles, all manufactures followed the technology. Now it's moving from "K" baffles to monolithic designs. It's simply new technology, not a proprietary design. Each maker tweaks the design a little to offer something unique.

As for the issue of Gemtech bringing the rebuilding of cans to BATFE's attention, I can't say that I totally disagree with that decision. Some of what AAC was doing was blatantly manufacturing a new can and slapping an existing serial # on it. That's no different than Colt or Oly. doing the same thing with RR M16 lowers. The BATFE put a stop to that, too.

If you don't like Gemtech or whoever, for whatever reason, that's fine with me, but it has been my experience that Gemtech makes a very high quality product and has top-of-the-line customer service. I speak from experience as I own several of their products. I personally don't drink the AAC kool-aid because I question a lot about their business practices. Specifically their oughtright and public "bashing" of almost every other suppressor company out there. I do own AAC cans, and both of them were bought or traded for pre-loved. The one time I tried to buy a new AAC can I had quite possibly the worst customer-service related experience on the planet.
Old May 14, 2008, 08:42 PM   #25
LiquidTension7

Quote:
And they are both curiously similar to the AAC Prodigy, the YHM Mite and others.
Negative. The Mite and the Prodigy do look similar to each other - but neither looks like green0/Gemtech's baffles.

If you're happy with your Gemtech products, I'm happy for you. As I said before, I just don't feel the need to give them my money. Thank goodness we have choices, huh?