The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2005, 12:08 PM   #1
n3twrkm4n

Skeet + RedDot?

I was wondering if anyone has shot skeet with a red dot with a 30mm+ objective and found that it works well? I was thinking about trying it but was unsure if I would be successful in my attemps.
Old August 7, 2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Skeetin'870

Dont bother it goes against the general idea of point and shoot. You would be wasting your time and you would find you would hit at the most 8 birds for round. In skeet you need to keep your eye on the bird at all times and keep your head on the stock both of which would be difficult with a red dot scope. Save your money or just use it on turkey and deer.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old August 7, 2005, 02:15 PM   #3
kudu

Doubtful you would do well on skeet. I have heard of guys doing it on the trap line and hitting most of them. Both games demand that you should keep both eyes open to hit targets. It takes two eyes to judge lead with that supercomputer between your ears.
Old August 7, 2005, 02:48 PM   #4
HSMITH

I have tried it, found it terribly distracting and harder to hit with. The apparent leads in the middle of the field pull the dot WAY ahead of the bird and even out of the scope on a small red dot like a 30mm tube. Skip the red dot until you put one on a slug gun, that is where they really shine IMO.
Old August 7, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5
rugerdude

watch the bird. The bird is the best aiming tool on that field.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old August 8, 2005, 07:19 AM   #6
PJR

I haven't tried it with a reddot but have with a holosight and it works. The holosight superimposes the reticle and you keep your eyes on the target and the reticle in your periphery. It was particularly good for long crossing shots and was educational as far as the leads needed to break targets. It required some adjustments in hold points but once I got the hang of it I could ink dot every bird with this combo although low 8 took some getting used to.

The combination was okay on 16 yard trap but for some reason not so good for handicap. I think the holosight doesn't work as well on random targets.

My set up was a 390 with a saddle-type mount and a lace on comb raiser. When some of the other shooters found out I was trying it they all had to take a few birds (I could have sold tickets).