The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 3, 2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Lordy123

Help picking scope

I'm sure you guys see a lot of these, so thanks in advance for the advice!!

Currently I have a .270 with a simmons 8 point 3-9x40, I'm looking at upgrading it to a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm for 159.99. My LGS keep pushing me more towards the Nikon brand, and another shop keeps recommending higher power scopes, mostly even higher then 3-9x40.

I like the retical on this model, I think the price is fair, and I think the scope is perfect for my applications. Most of my shots are between 80-120 yards in light to moderate wooded areas. Also this rifle will probably be used by a few people new to hunting.

Is there a reason not to like this scope? What's the advantage of a higher power scope when you don't need it? Someone said the larger the objective lens the more light will be absorbed, but I just don't see it comparing them.

Nikon has offerings with similar specs & price, but I like the simple 4-Plex retical for newer shooters and most of the Nikons they have in stock are BDC reticals. Would it be better to find a scope I like in the Nikon lineup? I'm a huge fan of their cameras and lenses but I'm really liking the redfield scopes when comparing them side by side.
Old June 3, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
603Country

What you have will work fine for you if it's mechanically sound. It isn't considered by most to be a fine and fancy scope, but you already have it bought and paid for. Obviously, there are many other choices out there, and you can spend thousands of dollars if you feel the need. Nikon will work fine, as will Redfield and Weaver, and Leupold and Burris and Bushnell (and many others). As for magnification, if your shooting is under 300 yards and you're mostly a deer hunter, a 3-9 is perfectly fine. Personally, I go for the 4.5 to 14 range, but that's just my preference for the territory I hunt and the paper punching I do.

You don't need a 50mm objective on the scope. 40mm is all you need.

These days I do think that if you go with name brand scopes, it'll be pretty hard to buy a bad one. If the Redfield carries the great warranty that the parent company (Leupold) is famous for, and I think it does, buy it and enjoy it.
Old June 3, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Nathan

603, good advice.

Simmons makes a decent scope, usually. If yours works, nothing under $250 will be much better.

If you were going to step it up a notch, a Leupold 3-9x about 40 VX-1 or VX-2 would make a good choice because Leupold makes good scopes and they keep the weight down.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:25 PM   #4
SSA

The Redfield would be a serious upgrade from a Simmons 8-Point. Since you like the Redfield, and you like the 2-7, there's no reason not to get one.
If you want a 3-9X40, a Nitrex TR One closeout at Natchezss would be a step up from the Redfield, and it costs less.
Old June 4, 2013, 01:05 AM   #5
big al hunter

Quote:
Someone said the larger the objective lens the more light will be absorbed
This is true, mostly.

Light transmission through the scope depends on 3 factors. Diameter of the scope tube. Diameter of the objective lense, and the coatings on the glass.

First, the diameter of the scope tube. A larger tube allows more room for light to pass.
Second, the diameter of the objective lense is also important because glass stops some of the light from passing. More glass allows more light. However that only applies up to 42 mm for a 1 inch tube. More than that is a waste of glass. To gain anything with a 50 mm objective you need a 30 mm tube.
Third, coatings on the glass stop reflection inside the tube and create a clearer brighter image. Better coatings = more $.

If you cant see the difference at the store it is because you are inside with perfect light conditions. Outside with bright sunlight will show quality coatings. Dim light like early morning and late evening (golden hour of hunting) will show the difference in size of tube and objective and coatings.

You are right to want lower power scopes for wooded areas. The guy at the lgs probably doesn't hunt in a forest or he would understand what it is like trying to pick a brown deer out of a tangle of branches, tree trunks and leaves.

Get what you like and can afford. Look at the specs to make sure you are comparing similar coatings on the lenses. That is what will make the most difference in the field.
Old June 4, 2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Saltydog235

Listen to what 603 is telling you. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Especially if you don't know enough about what you are looking at to make an informed and thought out decision. All you are doing by the moves you are considering is slightly above to lateral at best. Learn what makes a good scope, look through a bunch of scopes and do your homework. No sense in throwing money away just because you want something shiny and new.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Nathan

Quote:
...look through a bunch of scopes....
Best optic advice ever!

IMO, the market has incredibly good scopes at most price points....

Sure <$50 or names like Leapers and Barska are generally pretty crummy, but other than that, there are a lot of very usable scopes. I find I like Simmons, even though they are cheap. Simmons has made some gems in Japan, but even their China scopes are good enough for most people.

I find under $200ish, my biggest complaint is the effort to zero the scope. Then forget about turning turrets! That would have the repeat ability of wing shooting a rifle!

I find at $300 or so, you get really good mechanicals with decent glass.

At $700 or so, mechanicals, glass and features are pretty good.

The really high end scopes have the best of all, are purpose built and have good durability without extreme weight.

These are all very general points..you can find deals like most Simmons, Super Sniper, Weaver T series, earlier Burris XTR, etc which are real gems.

A YouTube guy Nutnfancy has an hour on mid range AR optics which shows some gems and isn't too far away from good hunting scope advice.

Last edited by Nathan; June 4, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:20 AM   #8
SSA

Light transmission has nothing to do with scope tube diameter.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Lordy123

Thanks for the advice guys. I was going to throw the simmons on a .22 and then find something better for the rifle. But I'm not in a hurry and the simmons has been working fine for over ten years now. Its just not that great in low light. Sounds like I should keep saving and learning, I would rather spend 500 on something better than 160 on something pretty close to what I already have.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:19 AM   #10
SSA

There are a number of good $150 dollar scopes out there. Any one of them is a big step up from a $40 Simmons.
Old June 4, 2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Lordy123

That's what I was originally thinking! I'm gonna go take a look at them again today.
Old June 4, 2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Saltydog235

Low Light

Natchez Shooters Supply had some Bushnell 4200 in 2.5X10X50 a little while back on clearance. If you want a great low light scope that won' break the bank, then order one of those. I have a lot of mid-upper end scopes with names like Ziess, Leupold and Weaver SS/Tac, not one of them is as good as the 4200 in dusk conditions when big whitetail bucks like to slip out on an edge or road. I've sat laaaaaaaaaaaatee with that scope.