The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 19, 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
boostnbuds

info on 1919 ithaca flues

Any info I can get about it would be great. I just got it from my wifes grandfather and it was his fathers. The serial num says its a 1919 flues model. Its a 16 guage and has some rather cool engravings going on, so its not field grade. It is all original and matching and everything works including the safety. It is a bit tarnished and the barrel has some light rust and minor pitting clean bores.

Can anyone estimate its value? More importantly, how do I go about cleaning this thing up properly without hurting it. I dont intend to sell but I'd like to shine her up.

I had posted this in the shotgun forum, but this seems more appropriate. For some reason I cant repost the pics but heres a link to my other post with the pics. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457308
Old July 19, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Flues model was named for the designer, Emil Flues, who worked for Ithaca from 1906 to about 1917. Before that he was an independent gun maker in Bay City, Michigan. The Flues guns were light weight and there are reports of them suffering damage with high power shells. AFAIK all those guns were late enough to have solid steel barrels, not Damascus.

A Google search on "Ithaca Flues" will provide more information than I can give here, including some sales with values.

As to cleaning, I would use brass or bronze (not steel) wool and oil to remove the light outside rust. Try to go easy on "patina"; some collectors like to see it, some don't but removing it is a one way process. A regular bronze bore brush and a good gun cleaner should be enough for the inside of the barrels.

Jim
Old July 20, 2011, 02:57 AM   #3
HiBC

I suggest you get some snap caps for it .These are dummy rounds that cushion the firing pins when you drop the hammers.It is best to not store them cocked.It is also not real good to drop the hammers with no snap cap.Galazan might be a supplier you would enjoy browsing.
Old July 20, 2011, 01:05 PM   #4
PetahW

I would suggest treating both metal & wood surfaces, especially the wood, with Howard's Feed 'N Wax (available at most home improvement and/or furniture stores), following the directions on the bottle.

http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm