The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 4, 2014, 07:24 PM   #1
Bpcurious

New to Black Powder and have a few questions.

Hello

I looked through this forum a bit and found a lot of useful information. Thank you all!

I own several firearms already, but like a bolt of lightning out of the sky I suddenly have an inexplicable desire to own a black powder revolver! The problem is I know nothing about such things

So my question is: What company(s) makes high quality replicas that won't break the bank and would be good for a beginner?

Any other advice on black powder firearms in general or good sources of information are appreciated! I'm starting at square one here, very limited knowledge of BP firearms.

Thank you
Old October 4, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
maillemaker

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207028
Old October 5, 2014, 09:52 AM   #3
campingnights

Many years ago I picked up alot of black powder info from the Dixie Gunworks catalog also The Black Powder Bible was good. Enjoy.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old October 5, 2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

There are stickieson most of the BP forum sites that will answer your questions. The " So you want a cap and ball revolver? " thread at the top of this page is a good start. Blackpowder for Dummies by George Baylor (http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html) is another source for the beginner. You can also find threads on CasCity and The High Road forums.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 5, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
swathdiver

Try out any of the Pietta or Uberti offerings. In general they are of excellent quality and reliability but there's always a lemon here and there from both of them. Stick with the pocket or holster sized revolvers before playing with the horse pistols.

Cabela's has a number of them on sale right now. Buy one and then we'll help you get the stuff to go with it so you can make some smoke.
Old October 5, 2014, 04:46 PM   #6
hartcreek

No brass frame

Since you are a newbie stay away from any BP revolver with a brass frame as they are not as strong. A brass grip frame will make little difference but the brass frames stretch. Go to the C store and pick one out and soon you will succumb to a Uberti Walker and their gentle push in your hand.
Old October 6, 2014, 02:00 AM   #7
swathdiver

What's wrong with a Pietta Griswold & Gunnison in .36 with a brass frame?

Not going to shoot that one loose with round ball and 24 grains of real BP.
Old October 6, 2014, 04:37 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
What's wrong with a Pietta Griswold & Gunnison in .36 with a brass frame?

Not going to shoot that one loose with round ball and 24 grains of real BP.
What makes it so special? I'd like to have a G&G but I wouldn't go over 15 grains.
Old October 6, 2014, 11:01 AM   #9
maillemaker

I think it's not so much that the frames stretch so much as the cylinder rams into the frame and peens it, eventually sinking into the frame face.

Steve
Old October 6, 2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
I think it's not so much that the frames stretch so much as the cylinder rams into the frame and peens it, eventually sinking into the frame face.
That's the biggest thing but the frames do stretch some.
Old October 7, 2014, 06:53 AM   #11
swathdiver

My 9 year old daughter shoots her G&G with 20 grains regularly and has yet to peen the frame. I've shot it a few times with 24 grain charges with no ill effects but it's hard to get the ball seated proper with that much powder. Chambers are .369.
Old October 7, 2014, 02:20 PM   #12
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Oh, and the screws on on those Piettas are as soft as stool.
Old October 7, 2014, 03:33 PM   #13
swathdiver

How does a soft as stool screw pose a problem?
Old October 7, 2014, 07:25 PM   #14
kwhi43

Get a Uberti and never look back.
Old October 7, 2014, 08:39 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not owned a Pietta but I have handled them and know people who have them. I would recommend a Uberti over a Pietta.

Jim
Old October 8, 2014, 06:17 AM   #16
45 Dragoon

As you can see, everybody has their individual ideas about what is best! It all comes down to personal preference. One of mine is the preference of Pietta '60s over Ubertis. The reason is that with a gated conversion (kirst konverter), factory ammo will fit while hand loads are needed for the same set up in the Uberti. This doesn't have anything to do with quality, I think Uberti has the edge in that department (meaning less lemons get through insp.). They both make very nice products for the price!! That said, they ALL can be made into unbelievable machines!!

45 Dragoon
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old October 8, 2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Fingers McGee

I've got C&Bs from just about every maker since the 60s. My main match guns for SASS include 1861 Navy Uberti's, 1860 Army Piettas, and 1861 Navy 2nd Gen Colt's. Right now my 2nd Gen 1861 Navies (worked over by 45Dragoon) are being used more than the others.

For a newcomer, I always recommend that you try as many models and makers that you can. Barrel length, grip shape, weight and balance affect individual shooters differently. Get whatever "feels right" to you. Now days, Pietta and Uberti quality is about equal overall; recognizing that lemons can pop up at any time.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 17, 2014, 07:18 PM   #18
Hardy

For a beginner which I was not too long ago and now I don't Know as much as I did when I was a beginner. But--the uberties are easy to break down as compared to economical piettas as referring to removing nipples and wedge. They are finished better. When I had my store, folks were eager to buy 3rd gen colts which are basically uberties just polished and hopefully honed and finished better. I could find them on the guns international site and others unfired for just --um maybe sometimes for 400 for a 51 navy w/silver back and trigger guard and pockets were popular that could be bought unfired w/ boxes, diplay and accessories for 550+/- So if you can find these for less than 400 and no more than 600 for just your navies and armies -buy them- but care for them. Make sure the boxes are not cracked/ have manual and hopefully white shipping box. I do not check thes sites anymore but Fingers is right the 2nd gen are good if you can find them. Colt does not make either of these anymore.
Old November 19, 2014, 04:06 PM   #19
Bpcurious

Thank you all!

Thank you all for the advice and links, etc. I have been away on business so that is why I'd did not reply or thank you all sooner.

Now the shopping can begin
Old November 19, 2014, 05:21 PM   #20
rodwhaincamo

So what are you considering?
Old November 19, 2014, 06:09 PM   #21
Bpcurious

I was thinking of one of the Uberti "Pocket Revolvers," pending some more research.

Any thoughts?
Old November 19, 2014, 08:15 PM   #22
deerslayer303

I've had both Pietta and Uberti. I like them both. And as far as soft screws on a Pietta? well I haven't noticed because I use screwdriver bits that FIT . IMHO an 1858 Remington is about as simple as it gets for a beginner. And seeing as how Cabelas has them with an extra cylinder for 249 bucks its a no brainer. With a 1858 I load three cylinders off the gun, then swap em out Pale rider style and Make a whole BUNCH OF SMOKE! Not a thing wrong with an open top, but for me when I was a beginner I chose the Remington FIRST then moved to the open tops. And 1860 Army is about the SWEETEST shooting and POINTING revolver there is.

*******deerslayer runs and ducks for cover as the NAVY guys start throwing things......................................................
Old November 20, 2014, 10:00 AM   #23
rodwhaincamo

I really like the Uberti Pockets. I prefer the cylinder of the Police, but the barrel assembly of the Navy. But I'd get a Police just because I'd want the 4.5" barrel.

Since hunting doesn't seem to be a use, though small game can certainly be had if you're up to it, it's as good as any I'd think.

Are you intending on using round balls or conicals?

What kind of powder are you leaning towards? 3F is ideal for pistols, especially the smaller ones with shallower chambers, though there are some who use 4F. I'm not sure I'd want to do it, and there are many who will claim it dangerous, though I've read (and have) some research on Civil War paper cartridges and it was found the .44 cal with a conical was loaded with what seemed to be 4F and of Swiss powder's strength. This was a small powder charge though (<20 grns IIRC).
Old November 21, 2014, 12:22 AM   #24
swathdiver

The Uberti Pocket Colts are excellent guns and lots of fun. However, get Treso or Track of the Wolf cones and cap issues are less likely to ruin your day.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:10 AM   #25
Bpcurious

So.. Did some research, maybe my google skills are rusty but I'm having some trouble with a question! There are two Uberti pocket pistol styles, one with the loading lever and one without.. So which is better and why?

As a side note, I like to camp and hike and think a BP revolver would make a fun backpack/carry gun. Any reccomendations? Would stainless be a good option?

Thanks

Tags
black powder firearms