The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 06:17 PM   #26
g.willikers

I've always used the buffers.
Don't know if they helped any, but they never have hurt.
They generally go a long time before looking like they need replacing.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:41 PM   #27
Mike38

I just can’t seem to stay away from 1911 threads, especially those subjected on recoil buffers or recoil springs. I always regret it, but here goes……

Yes, I use recoil buffers. Yea, I know, if the frame and slide are machined perfectly, buffers are not needed. But show me a less then $1000 out of the box 1911 that is machined perfectly…..

By trade, I am an Industrial Electrician / Machine Maintenance Technician. I work on multi million dollar computer numerical control machine centers. These machining centers have tolerances of 0.0005 (one half of one thousandth) and can machine parts just as good. These machines use shock buffers and shock absorbers, some places very similar to a shock buffer on a 1911. If the manufacturers of multi million dollar machines with one half of one thousandth tolerances feel shock buffers are necessary, then they are also necessary on my 1911.

Now, if you disagree, that’s just fine. Run your 1911 without one. It’s a free country, and God gave you free will to do as you please.

By the way, John Moses Browning was good, but he was not God. No matter what anyone invents, there is always room for improvement. Technology and experience over time can improve anything.

There, I said it. Let the flames begin.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Marquezj16

Quote:
John Moses Browning was good, but he was not God.
Watch out for lightning strikes. lol

Last edited by Marquezj16; February 12, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #29
Slamfire

I am using buffers.

My first M1911 was a Colt Combat Elite series 80.

That pistol was defective from the factory, something in the geometry of barrel, lugs, lug was off and I believe it unlocked early in the pressure curve giving hard recoil. The thing also peened the frame. I put in shock buffs and that reduced the rate of peening. That shock buff would be totally gone after a shooting session, around 100-150 rounds.

The frame finally peened to a point that I sent the M1911 back to Colt. They replaced the frame, the pistol had a three year warranty at that time, but did nothing to fix the early unlock, and the new frame was getting peened.

That was when I sent the whole thing off to Wilson Combat, put a lot of money in Bomar’s, beaver tails, Wilson match barrel, and Wilson totally fixed the hard recoil issue. Wilson knows M1911's.

Still, I developed a peening phobia and use shock buffs. They don’t seem to hurt as long as I change them before they dis integrate. Maybe they don't help, but like the lucky horseshoe above the door, maybe they do.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:02 PM   #30
polyphemus

"John Moses Browning was good, but he was not God."
Say what? Now,if the mods let you say that then I will say that he was both.
Religion and Godding is supposed to be off topic.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:38 PM   #31
1stmar

God, no... Gun god ...yes. :-). Still room for improvement, it is 100 years later!
Old February 12, 2013, 11:55 PM   #32
1911Tuner

Buff

Quote:
Now, if you disagree, that’s just fine. Run your 1911 without one.
Have been for years. I've got a pair of early 1911A1s that I bought for beater duty, and I've beat'em long and hard. Together, they're approaching 400,000 rounds about evenly split.

They've never been run with a spring heavier than 16 pounds, and most of the time...14 pounds.

All my ammo is full power stuff. 230/830 and 200/890

Neither of them had ever been run with a shock buff until about 2 years ago, and I tried two that somebody gave me just to see what the fuss was. I took'em out after about 500 rounds and tossed'em in the drawer.

The impact abutments in the frames and slides are fine, aside from the finish being long since gone.

If running a buff makes you feel better, it's your money...but the plain truth of the matter is that the slide just doesn't hit the frame all that hard. Using a FLGR and plug to keep everything tracking straight, I've fired a LW Commander repeatedly without a recoil spring in order to demonstrate that.

Watch the video and ask yourself if the slide can be stopped dead at the point of peak force applied...how hard can it hit after the force is long gone...and after being decelerated by a 16-pound spring. By the way, I've seen this trick with a .45 caliber Glock, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw8sbb8eDjg