The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
mssurrey

Can you recommend a stock for

a mossberg 500 tactical cruiser currently with a pistol grip ?

This can be either a standard wood stock or a tactical type adjustable stock - idealy i want to keep the pistol grip as well with the stock...
Old January 29, 2012, 11:28 PM   #2
NYCShooter

The Knoxx SpecOps (K07200-C) will work for you. http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...nspshstge.html
Old January 29, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
jmfc606

I just picked up an ATI item #zgmrw4100 from www.natchez.com It listed for $67.21 and was on sale for $54.86. It has the pistol grip and it's a 6 position collapsable like the ones on an M-4. It fits great. Check it out on their site
Old January 30, 2012, 03:14 AM   #4
bigghoss

Speedfeed makes a good pistol-grip buttstock. Or if you REALLY want the ultimate Mesa Tactical makes adapters to put AR15 stocks and pistol grips on mossbergs.

I'm honestly kinda surprised there aren't more quality folding stocks available for shotguns. Ace stocks needs to make something to mount their stocks to mossbergs and remingtons.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
mssurrey

Thanks - some good suggestions here. I'll look into them
Old January 31, 2012, 12:26 AM   #6
arentol

I got this one for my 500 cruiser:

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Tactical-T...7987173&sr=8-1

Inexpensive, quick and simple to install, and does the job I need it to do: provides me with the option of using a pistol grip or a stock. The switchover is fast and easy. It does benefit from a little filing down on a couple of the sharper corners, but that is quick and easily done.

There is also a Choate folding stock for about twice the price that might be worth considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Folding-Sh...7987438&sr=1-7

Amazon is not the cheapest for either of these items though, so look around first if you end up going with one of these.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:23 PM   #7
mssurrey

Dang that choate one is NICE but quite expensive. I'm not sure I want to put a $150 stock on a $250 gun !!!

I don't see a recoil pad on the one you got - does it come with one?
If not, how does it feel with the plastic stock end in your shoulder?
Old February 1, 2012, 03:57 AM   #8
theblakester

I really like the Blackhawk Knoxx recoil reducing adjustable length of pull shoulder butt stock with pistol grip. Follow up shots come way faster, because it really does reduce recoil. makes it like more of a slight shove, than a "kick"
Old February 1, 2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a lot going for wood.....

Easily available, cheap and easily modified to fit. Weighs enough to balance out the weapon, not enough to make it too whippy. And weight can be added if desired very easily.

If there's a single possible user, fit the stock and go from there. For more users, fit for the smallest and learn to run it. All of you.

HTH....
Old February 2, 2012, 12:24 AM   #10
mssurrey

Quote:
I really like the Blackhawk Knoxx recoil reducing adjustable length of pull shoulder butt stock with pistol grip. Follow up shots come way faster, because it really does reduce recoil. makes it like more of a slight shove, than a "kick"
I like the look of the Knoxx as well but the stock butt and recoil pad look like they're at a weird angle - perhaps it's just the picture?

Quote:
There's a lot going for wood.....
Where can these be found Dave? I've looked all over and can't find a pistol grip with butt stock in any type of wood?
Old February 2, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You mean a separate PG like the AK and AR?

Sorry, I misunderstood. Dunno about any wood stocks made like that other than some Thumbholes made by Boyd.

However......

The standard wood stock has 200 years plus of R&D behind it. What you see is the result of lots of folks shooting millions of shells and adjusting whatever until it worked better than anything else and did so with the least discomfort possible.

To this day, dangerous game is hunted by professionals using stopping rifles stocked like shotguns. There's a lesson there.

Run some timed exercises with the gadget stock of your choice and a wood one that fits. Betcha your splits and scores are better with lumber.
Old February 3, 2012, 01:06 AM   #12
mssurrey

Quote:
You mean a separate PG like the AK and AR?

Sorry, I misunderstood. Dunno about any wood stocks made like that other than some Thumbholes made by Boyd.
No, it's my fault. What i meant to say was an all in one PG and stock in wood (like the ATI or Knoxx ones) - are they available in wood because I've never seen one?
Old February 3, 2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

Choate makes a variety of stocks for the Mossberg 500: https://secure.riflestock.com/catalo...CID=236&Lev=S3
Old February 3, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The traditional (as most of us think of) stock design incorporates a "pistol grip"...

Your Mossberg was designed around this stock style, thus the less than stellar access to safety tab and action release tab.

Use what you want but Havlin Sales is a first call for low priced stocks... he often has "take-off" stuff.

http://www.havlinsales.com/default.htm

Click on "modern shotgun parts" at left margin. Call to verify availability as the nature of his business causes some fast turn over of inventory.

I prefer walnut but birch or even plastic (you can flat black the camo ones) would work on an HD gun.

Brent