The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 22, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1
hnl.flyboy

Long-term storage of firearms in Hawaii

In Hawaii, I may only "lend" a long arm to an adult for 15 days, and I may NOT lend a handgun to anyone. My problem is that I'm a reservist possibly deploying, and I don't know where I could store my long guns and handgun during my absence.

I already asked two LGS's (Young Guns and Kaneohe Gun Shop), and they couldn't really think of a solution. One said he can keep a handgun or two, but doesn't have enough space for rifles.

I asked my friend (a bank manager) if I could keep at least the handgun in a safety deposit box, but she said weapons are prohibited. I'd rather not risk trouble trying anyway.

I really don't want to resort to leaving my weapons in the base armory, as I've heard many horror stories, though my platoon sergeant assured me no one would mess with my guns.

Transferring my firearms to a friend is an option, however, I don't know of any who is absolutely sure of being in state until my return, and doing so would mean that the guns are legally theirs. I would also have to do the whole two week waiting period to transfer them all back into my name, which is a major PITA.

I'm unsure of this deployment, but I'm trying to be prepared for if the time comes. I'm out of ideas, and suggestions would help a lot.
Keep them all clean.
Old March 23, 2011, 01:12 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Transfer them to family in CONUS.

A few bucks for shipping and background checks is cheap in the long run.
Old March 23, 2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Where do you live? (House or apartment?)

Do you have a gun safe?
Old March 23, 2011, 07:10 AM   #4
hnl.flyboy

Only family in CONUS are in Cali, and my Norinco MAK-90 isn't welcome there.
I live with my uncle, who isn't a citizen (can't have the guns transferred to him), and my dad would rather not have firearms in his house, much less transfer it to his name (there's no way he'd take the state-required safety classes for the handguns)

I'll probably end up buying a safe and keep the code & keys in a safety deposit box.
Keep them all clean.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:21 AM   #5
hnl.flyboy

For any military guys who've left weapons in the base armory:

Do you think stripping them down to receivers and cable/trigger locking them would keep curious armorers from messing with my babies? Would they allow me to leave them locked without giving them the keys?
Keep them all clean.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:48 AM   #6
natman

Buy a safe. Prep the guns for long term storage (clean, wipe with Break Free COLLECTORS or RIG grease) and VCI bags since it's Hawaii. Leave the guns locked in the safe. They're still yours, not your uncle's. I'm not sure if this will satisfy Hawaiian law or not, but it's worth researching.

BTW, your uncle can buy a gun if he has a "green" card and proof of residence in HI.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
divil

Quote:
my uncle, who isn't a citizen (can't have the guns transferred to him)
Quote:
BTW, your uncle can buy a gun if he has a "green" card and proof of residence in HI.
Unless there is some highly unusual state law in HI to that effect, he does not need a greencard.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

It is not the banks business what you put in the safe deposit box. (a few exceptions, bombs, stuff that stinks or leaks, etc.) Take your handguns in a briefcase to the bank, use the privacy area for safe deposit boxes, put guns in and lock up. Unless you die or don't pay your rent no one can have access to the safe deposit box.
Sad that an American, and especially a serviceman, has to have such a hassle to do what is legal.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:59 AM   #9
divil

Quote:
It is not the banks business what you put in the safe deposit box
Still, be careful - private "no gun" policies have the force of law behind them in some states. IOW, if a private business has a sign that says "no guns" it could actually be a crime to trespass there with a gun.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ might be a good place to start looking into this kind of thing.
Old March 23, 2011, 12:34 PM   #10
maestro pistolero

It's extremely sad to me that an active duty serviceman should be placed in such a dilemma by unconstitutional laws. Very, very sad state of affairs in HA.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:24 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Do you think stripping them down to receivers and cable/trigger locking them would keep curious armorers from messing with my babies? Would they allow me to leave them locked without giving them the keys?
I had to place a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Marlin bolt rifle in the base armory, when I was stationed in Florida.

Because of the horror stories I had heard, I removed the bolt and magazine from the rifle, and the cylinder from the revolver. (I checked with my unit commander, to make sure it was ok for me to keep them in base housing. His response was, "I don't own guns, and don't know what you're talking about. If you can't shoot some one with those parts, I'll back you up on it - should the need arise.")

Since the rifle was scoped and sighted in, I dug through my cable locks until I found one that fit snuggly against the floor plate, ran through the mag well, around the scope through the open action, and back through the mag well. It was just tight enough to completely prevent scope theft (without cutting the cable), but not tight enough to cause damage.

The armorers were extremely upset that I didn't trust them with my weapons, but they still took them.

....Which turned into a horror story of my own. It took several weeks to get my firearms back, when I tried to claim them. The armorers that took them did not give me a proper hand receipt (I didn't know any better at the time), and argued that I was trying to steal some one else's weapons. I had to get several of my supervisors involved, and work my way up the chain of command in my unit.

I had the bolt, magazine, and cylinder from the weapons; keys to both locks, original purchase receipts, witnesses that knew I owned those weapons, and the prior discussion with my commander, on my side.

The day we finally got them back, there were 6 people from my unit, including my commander and first sergeant, standing in the security forces commander's office. ...And they still wouldn't return the firearms. My commander finally demanded to the base commander that we be able to see the weapons to verify they had not already been stolen by the armorers, which turned into one of the coolest things any commander ever did for me. Once the locking filing cabinet was opened for us to see the weapons (they don't use real security for personal weapons), my commander and first sergeant grabbed my guns. They told the security forces commander he would have to steal them back, if he had any further disagreement with who the rightful owner was. ...And we left.

The minor damage incurred by the armorers was nothing, compared to the fight to get the weapons back.

So.... make sure you get a descriptive, signed hand receipt, detailing everything possible about the firearms. Invest in some good, silicone-impregnated gun cases, designed for long-term storage (get them listed on the hand receipt); and, if possible, lock them after the armorers verify that the weapons are cleared.

I made similar recommendations to friends that had to store their firearms in the armory. With locking, hard-sided cases, they didn't have issues.

It's not a fun option, but base armories can work with a little CYA.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:13 PM   #12
youngunz4life

listen to natman

don't leave the weapons in the armory(that would be listening to youngunz). get a safe and store somewehere out of the way at your uncle's or dad's pad. speak with them ahead of time obviously, keep them out of the attic or basement. the guns are still yours - you have not lent them to anyone. you have a 'home of record' address while in military. this address is 100% legal to use. as for armory, yeah your guns will be there but leave them in your comfort zone which will also be a better atmosphere for the weapons. I mean if your dad or uncle is a loaded pistol thats one thing(no pun intended or disrespect). at least one of them has probably been at their residence a long time: the guns will be safe there. You can trust your dad just to leave them be.

just my 2cents(or nickel)

good luck+keep us posted
Old March 24, 2011, 04:02 AM   #13
natman

Quote:
Unless there is some highly unusual state law in HI to that effect, he does not need a greencard.
Yes, it's possible to buy a gun as a non immigrant alien, but it's a good deal more complicated.

From your citation:

Quote:
Q: May nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?

Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

1. nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;
2. nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;
3. certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;
4. officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;
5. foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and
6. persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.
For all practical purposes, the only one of these options available would be the hunting license. I'm not sure his uncle is going to want to go through the 16 hours of hunter's education Hawaii requires in order to get one.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/huntered/info/classes
Old March 24, 2011, 04:46 AM   #14
hnl.flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Yes, it's possible to buy a gun as a non immigrant alien, but it's a good deal more complicated.
Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) 134-2 (d):
The chief of police of the respective counties may issue permits to acquire firearms to citizens of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more, or duly accredited official representatives of foreign nations, or duly commissioned law enforcement officers of the State who are aliens; provided that any law enforcement officer who is the owner of a firearm and who is an alien shall transfer ownership of the firearm within forty-eight hours after termination of employment from a law enforcement agency. The chief of police of each county may issue permits to aliens of the age of eighteen years or more for use of rifles and shotguns for a period not exceeding sixty days, upon a showing that the alien has first procured a hunting license under chapter 183D, part II. The chief of police of each county may issue permits to aliens of the age of twenty-one years or more for use of firearms for a period not exceeding six months, upon a showing that the alien is in training for a specific organized sport-shooting contest to be held within the permit period. The attorney general shall adopt rules, pursuant to chapter 91, as to what constitutes sufficient evidence that an alien is in training for a sport-shooting contest. Notwithstanding any provision of the law to the contrary and upon joint application, the chief of police may issue permits to acquire firearms jointly to spouses who otherwise qualify to obtain permits under this section.

My uncle can't hold it for 14 months.
Keep them all clean.
Old March 24, 2011, 11:30 AM   #15
youngunz4life

dad is a better choice anyways

but you will have a 'permanent address' anyways as well as your military address(which obviously won't work)
Old March 24, 2011, 11:54 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Unless you have some valuable or sentimental firearms, rather than spend a grand or two on a good safe to leave with your relative, maybe it's just better to sell 'em and bank the money. You can purchase replacements when you are back or discharged.

If you don't want to do that, definitely go to the safe. The safe and everything in it remains your property and is not a loan or transfer.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:43 AM   #17
kingkeoni

I can help you out

I'll rent you storage space in my safe.

We can write up a contract for storage and you can pick them up when you get back.

Email me if interested.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:14 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Another path to consider, is bonded storage. Prep the guns for long term storage, remove vital parts if you wish, seal them in a proper container (a gun safe would not be a bad idea, a safe inside a crate might be even better), and have that put into bonded storage. It will cost some, but your property will be safe, and if the worst does happen, someone will owe you compensation.

I'm not talking about Ron's mini storage here, I mean a regular large storage firm, with insurance and decent facilities. I'm sure there is at least one in Hawaii, somewhere. People store cars, and other valuable items all the time, check it out, you may be surprised at the cost vs the benefits.