The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 8, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
mpstan

Rebarreling 700 .270 into target rifle

Hi guys,

I don't have any experience with this, but I'd like to rebarrel this 60's vintage long action into a target/varmint rifle. I don't want to mess with the boltface, and it would be ok if the magazine didn't feed.

Could I use this long action and go with a 6mm cartridge? I was thinking 6mm Rem, 6br, 6xbr... I don't know if 6mm rem is a short action round and I'm aware that the others are generally shot in short actions.

Would this type of project be workable? With the right barrel and trigger, a bedding job, with my large action and stock if it would work, is .25MOA asking too much?

Sure could use some insights. Thank you.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:17 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

For the long action, a 6.5x55 swede or 6.5x284 seem more appropriate (and would fit into the bolt head). For the short 6 mm cartridges I'd start with the right system with all the money and labor you plan to put in.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:53 AM   #3
kraigwy

There is no law that says you have to use a short action Remington to make a target rifle.

If their is, then the Army is in trouble, the M24 Sniper system is made on the 700 Long action, it uses a 308. They tend to shoot pretty good. Its the Marines that went to the short action.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 8, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
LongRifles, Inc.

I just did up a 6mm CM for a guy.

Very easy cartridge to do. 243 with the bullets seated long, it fireforms and then you stuff it full of a slow powder like H1000. You'll get between 3500-4000 rounds and still keep the velocity for slingin the big 105-115 grain 6mm bullets out to 1K. A BR will certainly work in your action but unless it's going to be a single shot, getting it to feed in a box magazine is going to be a challenge. Historically they've never been easy to do, although it is possible.

Reamer is in stock and I'm pretty sure I have 8 twist barrels as well.

Target rifles for International Palma, NRA Highpower, Benchrest, Silhouette, and Olympic smallbore/NRA prone, and 300m are my specialty.

www.longriflesinc.com