The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2010, 08:57 AM   #1
funwithzombies

Question on home defense ammo

I was wondering what kind of shotgun shells are best for home defense. I have a box of Winchester superX 5 lead shot. I have been told that something called "double ought" (sp?) is the way to go.

Can you please give me your opinion on the best type/brand of home defense shell?

Also, a friend gave me a box of old shotgun shells he had out in his tool shed for practice firing. Upon inspecting the shells they seem to look a little corroded on the brass, Im guessing it could damage my gun if I use them?

Your input is greatly appreciated, I have just recently taken an interest in my shotgun and I really don't know a whole lot.

Thanks
Old March 17, 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes the VAST majority use 00 BUCKSHOT... It is usually 9 pellets in a 2 3/4 inch shell.

It has balls in the upper .30 cal range. Anything below the various buckshot sizes is considered by the VAST majority to be sub standard for guaranteed stopping power due to limited penetration.

BTW 0, 00, 000 refers to it having increased in size beyond the other numerals... as the shot size increases, the numeral decreases. For instance, 9 shot means it takes 9 pellets side by side to equal a determined width (possibly 1 inch). Others may be along and post links to cyphering shot size and designations.

For HD in a 12 gauge I use Cheap winchester 00 9 pellet. I buy them in 15 count boxes for right at 10 bucks.

3 inch rounds are frowned on by most as the additional recoil can increase the muzzle rise reducing your ability to get your second shot off fast and accurately.

Brent
Old March 17, 2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

Take a look at http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2c.shotguns.htm for a batch of basic stuff on shotguns.

While you're learning, use the lightest (least powder, least shot) birdshot loads you can find of the proper gauge and length to fit your gun till you learn to run the gun safely. Hold off on shooting the donated shells till you know enough to determine their safety and appropriateness for your gun, shotgun shells aren't that expensive after all.

I'd also suggest you find yourself someone who knows their way around shotguns to help you get started learning the gun. If you don't know anyone, the NRA has a large number of certified instructors scattered all over the country- see http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx for info on classes and a class locator.

I would suggest you get basic operation of the gun down pat, and be sure you can run the gun confidently before you adopt it for defense.

Most LE agencies and the military generally use 00 buck for antipersonnel purposes. Most plain ordinary armed citizens do too, but 00 might not be best for every situation. Some people prefer reduced recoil loads, others prefer smaller shot than 00 due to concerns about overpenetration. Your choice of ammunition will depend on your circumstances, your maximum possible range of engagement, where you live, how your residence is constructed, and what's between you and your neighbors and any innocent bystanders among other factors.

ANYTHING fired out of a shotgun can be lethal, including blanks. There is no "non-lethal" shotgun ammunition, any firing of a shotgun by any armed citizen is going to be legally defined as lethal force. Shotguns make big ragged holes in things at close range, and sometimes they make holes in things at long range too. Make sure you don't make holes either small or large in anything you don't want holes in...

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.