The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2010, 07:46 PM   #1
menocu

870 stock/forend styles?

Does anyone know what style forend the "home defense" or "7-shot synthetic" Remington 870 12ga guns come with?

The remington website shows field/sport type stocks, which are EXACTLY what I need. (lil fella)

All other websites are pretty much split, some showing the shotgun with one forend, others showing it with a different one. All claim to be the same manufacturer#/SKU

With no local shops stocking them, I have no idea what I'd be getting if I had one ordered.

If anyone knows for sure which they're currently using, it would help me greatly.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by menocu; June 1, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old June 1, 2010, 09:32 PM   #2
lefteye

I have an HD 870 and I'm short with short arms. I put a Remington "Youth" buttstock on it and it fits very well. I found no need to change the standard black synthetic forend, but I have the "Youth" size forend that came in the package. In fact, the shorter forend requires a longer reach because the reduction in length is achieved by eliminating the portion of the forend that overlaps the receiver when in its rearmost position. PM me if you really think you need a smaller forend stock.

Last edited by lefteye; June 1, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old June 1, 2010, 09:45 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings, menocu and welcome aboard

Your best bet is info straight from the horse's mouth -- in this case Remington. With all of the options available in the 870 line, I'm not surprised that some ambiguities exist. The various web market sites are subject to honest mistakes in posting specifications and graphics may be incorrect or generic.

Describe the item number you're interested in, including the all the features you understand it includes, and confirm it with Remington. Ask if the specs have been recently changed for that specific item. With Remmy's confirmation, have your local gun shop order the exact item you want for your inspection (I don't recommend buying a gun sight unseen for several reasons). With all the 870 varieties available, there's no reason that you shouldn't get exactly what you want.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:34 AM   #4
menocu

Lefteye: Your setup sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. A forearm that comes closer to the receiver and a shorter buttstock. I wonder what they were thinking when the made the youth forend sit farther from the receiver.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll see what remington says, or I may just bite the bullet and order.. I figure I'll probably be wanting one either way and it's just a matter of replacement. The problem with my 590A1 is that there just isn't the same aftermarket, and sticking on a "standard" forend that overlaps the receiver when open doesn't appear to be an option.