The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 26, 2009, 09:44 AM   #1
bikecop40

NEW Member help

I need some direction on finding the value of a Winchester Mod 1892 in very good condition. I would like to get some advice on past experiences from other members like has anyone ever had an online appraisal or where do I start.

Thank you
Ed
Old April 26, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
PetahW

[I need some direction on finding the value of a Winchester Mod 1892 in very good condition.]

Start with a set of good, clear digi pics.
They will stand you in good stead, should you decide to ever sell it online, after any appraisal.

You would be best served by presenting (to any appraiser who cannot do a "hands-on") good/clear pics of both sides of the rifle, and pics of receiver/stock details to define condition in an appraiser's eye.

Appraisers want to see an overall pic for config, a closeup pic of the sights for originality, and of the metal & wood for rating their condition.

A description of the bore's internal condition is usually desireable, too.

Also, a complete description of the rifle's exact markings/stampings, and their location(s) help determine if it has any special/premium value.

Old April 26, 2009, 11:32 PM   #3
bikecop40

Information helpfull

I took the gun in today to have it cleaned and inspected at my local gun shop, while looking at the gun the smith noticed that this gun was the 181st gun of the line in 1892. So it looks like I may have something here.

Any more information would be helpful and I will keep you all informed

Thanks again