The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2001, 10:13 AM   #1
Kestrel

11-87P Reliability compared to Benelli?

I'm thinking about getting an 11-87 Police. Can anyone tell me how the reliability and durability of these are compared to the M1 Super 90?

Do these require frequent cleaning of the gas system?

Thanks for any help,
Steve
Old December 4, 2001, 10:37 AM   #2
Will Beararms

Let me qualify up front that I am a duck hunter and have no experience with Police Models. That said, either will do you a great job and it will come down to what feels the best.

Of course you will pay $300-$400 more for the Benelli. The Remingtons we hunt with, 1187 3" and 3.5", usually spit out the extractors starting between the fifth and eighth year of ownership. In our case this equates to around 5,000 to 7,000 rounds--------------not bad for a 12 Gauge semi-auto. The recoil tube in the Benelli stock will rust if you hunt flooded timber on the duck guns anyway.

This is just my experience and I say get the one that fits you the best, keep it oiled and clean it after every shooting.
Old December 4, 2001, 11:13 AM   #3
Pampers

Browning, Browning & Winchester

Perhaps you should obtain a copy of the November/December issue of "Front Sight", the Journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association. They tested several shotguns for speed and reliability. Among them are the ones you mentioned.

Number ONE fastest and most reliable was, no surpise, John Browning's A-5. Number two was the current Browning Gold. And Number three was the Winchester Super-X, which is a virtual clone of the Browning Gold.

The DAL (Dead A**ed Last) Award went to the Remington 1100, followed closely by the Remington 11-87. The Bennelli was better, but no Cigar.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle

Last edited by Pampers; December 4, 2001 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 4, 2001, 02:08 PM   #4
Kobra

I have seen 11-87P's with rifle sights for $680 new and Benelli Tactical with ghost sights for $730 new so the price difference is closer than you think.
Old December 4, 2001, 10:40 PM   #5
Will Beararms

Good Point Kobra:

When we are looking at specialty weapons, the numbers go up.