The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 20, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
bigbore96

500 S&W questions

I am thinking about getting a 500 Smith and Wesson in either a pump or lever action

I have seen 700 grain flat nose bullets and 630 grain hollow point bullets I would like to fire these but I don't know if they would be to long to cycle in the pump or lever action, any thoughts on this

also here is a link to a video about them http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Old March 20, 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
alex0535

I think if I had the money to throw at it, I would rather own a .500 S&W lever gun over a pump action any day out of personal preference.

The Big Horn Armory Model 89, if I was going to pay the money for the rifle I would pay for the #1 walnut stock and having it blued.

I have no idea on how well those rounds would cycle. In just about any 300 grain or heavier bullet at standard .500 S&W velocities is going to do the job on whatever you shoot it at.

Expect to pay upwards of a couple thousand or more for this firearm. Expect for there to be a wait to get your firearm.