The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2011, 10:27 PM   #26
TXGunNut

I don't make a habit of it. If I don't lose it or wear it out after 3-5 loadings I sometimes find myself cleaning them if it looks like they need it.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 22, 2011, 02:12 AM   #27
Volucris

I only use a Lyman primer flash hole uniformer to make sure no debris are in the flash hole. I get more consistent primer seating depths if I clean the primer pockets but that's all. It's important for some auto loaders imo. It's not much more for your normal brass prep. While I may load on a progressive I prep brass by resizing, trimming, deburr, uniform, decrimp, and prime before loading. Makes it so much more streamlined and you don't waste case space with cleaning medium or liberal amounts of lube.
Old May 22, 2011, 03:41 AM   #28
Diamond LawDawg

No

Only reload pistol cartridges, vibratory tumbler till the brass shines like new,then onto the Dillon 550 and out to shoot....
Old May 22, 2011, 06:41 AM   #29
RaySendero

Yep, I clean the primer pockets.

I deprime and clean. Use an eye glass screwdriver the remove any media from the flash hole and use the lee tool to debur the pocket on each case.
Old May 22, 2011, 06:49 AM   #30
doug66

no
Old May 22, 2011, 07:57 PM   #31
KnobCreek

Pistol no. Rifle used to be a no, but now yes. Now that I have a Thumbler with s/s media the rifle does as I send them through it after I have resized/deprimed them. Primer pockets come out as shiny as the outside.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:39 AM   #32
richfr

I have just started to reload (9mm only at the moment) and I clean them all.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:02 AM   #33
darkgael

no

Life is too short to spend time cleaning primer pockets.

Pete
Old May 23, 2011, 05:56 AM   #34
Geezerbiker

I do for rifle but not for pistol. I probably don't need too for rifle either but it's quick and easy with a small screwdriver. I tend to go a bit overboard on case prep for rifles but I get good results so why argue with success.

Tony
Old May 23, 2011, 07:17 AM   #35
tpcollins

I wanted a case cleaner and wound up with a Thumler rock tumbler off Craigslists and 2 1/2 pound of pins from Stainless Tumbling Media. After a couple hours everything is spotless - inside, outside, primer pockets, etc. - can't help it now.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:15 AM   #36
firewrench044

I clean all
never had a FTF
Old May 23, 2011, 11:02 PM   #37
Mike1

I don't clean the pockets on handgun brass, but usually will do the rifle brass when they're trimmed.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:57 AM   #38
JerryM

I never clean handgun primer pockets, but always clean rifle primer pockets. I suppose if I loaded hundreds of rounds of something like .223 I wouldn't clean them.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:17 PM   #39
4runnerman

I got both large and small primer pocket uniformers and that is all i use. I do it on all loads,pistol and rifle. Can't hurt anything. But then im anal too. I clean my rifle every 10 shots and big cleaning as soon as the wheels stop in the driveway. Was just taught that way and it's become a habit now. does it benifet in any way?. Don't know,never not done it.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:45 PM   #40
Civil War Life

I clean both my rifle and pistol primer pockets but I am pretty new to reloading and was wondering why many say they do not do pistol. What is rational for this? Isn't clean better? Just curious why it is done that way and am always looking to learn from you guys. Thanks
Old May 27, 2011, 11:55 PM   #41
Smaug

I clean them for precision ammo only

For instance rifle ammo, and target competition ammo for handguns.

But not for practice or (non-competition) target shooting.

I admit that the first handgun ammo I made, I cleaned primer pockets prior to priming, and the ammo WAS more accurate than it is now that I don't do it. But not quite enough to make it worth the trouble.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 28, 2011, 11:39 AM   #42
GURU1911

Primer pocket cleaning

Since 1977, i have religiously cleaned primer pockets on both rifle & handgun metallic cases. However, on rifle cases, i do a "match-prep" on the primer pocket. This prep only has to be done once, for the life of the case:

1. Ream & chamfer the flash hole
2. Ream the "id"
3. Cut the depth of & square the bottom

as far as cleaning the pocket is concerned, i do it every time the case is reloaded---no exceptions !!!

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 28, 2011, 02:09 PM   #43
Civil War Life

Quote:
as far as cleaning the pocket is concerned, i do it every time the case is reloaded---no exceptions !!!
Thanks for confirming. I know it is an extra step, but I don't reload all that much and I just like everything to be as clean as possible.

Regards
Old May 28, 2011, 04:27 PM   #44
Tim R

Quote:
Yep, I clean the primer pockets.

I deprime and clean. Use an eye glass screwdriver the remove any media from the flash hole and use the lee tool to debur the pocket on each case.
As do I for match type ammo. Plinking not so much. Pisto lhas to be heavy.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:30 PM   #45
GURU1911

Hunting vs. Plinking vs. Competition

In the early 1980's i was faced with the dilemma of "to what degree of precision to i reload my rifle ammo?"-----only had 2 calibers to worry about: .243 win & .30-06 spring.

I made the final decision & have never deviated from my final choice:
Load every rifle cartridge as if my life, a trophy on the wall, or for meat on the table---thus every round is loaded to match grade competition standards !!!!!

Both my bolt action remington's (model 721 & 700) will routinely group my hand loads in the .500" to .750" quite easily. Of course both rifles have been extensively hot-rodded on my workbench to perform at this level.

Know what---i have never regretted my decision for one second.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 31, 2011, 06:26 PM   #46
dwright1951

Yes I do. I just chuck a lee primmer pocket cleaner in a cordless drill and have at it, trim them with the same dril with lee trimer.
Old May 31, 2011, 08:14 PM   #47
Nosparetime

No!! Nothing that goes thru my progressive presses.

Precision rifle loads after trimming.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:08 PM   #48
4runnerman

Not to stray from question here.But i see a lot of people that do it for precision shooting but not plinking. What is the reason for this?.Do you not want your plinking ammo to be as accurate as any other ammo you load?. To me it seems when you go out and plink you are saying if i can hit broad side of barn im happy.IMHO-That is a waste of powder,primers,bullets and time. Every shot weather plinking or comp shooting should be carefully placed and be expected to perform as all others. How doe's one better themselfs when you know you are shooting a load that is not up to par?. Just wondering?????
Old May 31, 2011, 09:44 PM   #49
SRE

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right... that's my oppinion anyway. Media can get stuck in the flash hole. (depending on if you deprime pre or post cleaning, obviously)

I like to clean them. Makes for a better job and makes me feel better about my reloading
Old June 1, 2011, 06:21 AM   #50
Sevens

Quote:
Not to stray from question here.But i see a lot of people that do it for precision shooting but not plinking. What is the reason for this?.Do you not want your plinking ammo to be as accurate as any other ammo you load?. To me it seems when you go out and plink you are saying if i can hit broad side of barn im happy.IMHO-That is a waste of powder,primers,bullets and time. Every shot weather plinking or comp shooting should be carefully placed and be expected to perform as all others. How doe's one better themselfs when you know you are shooting a load that is not up to par?. Just wondering?????
Well, for me it's not really "plinking" versus otherwise... it's more handgun vs. rifle.

If there's something I can do to net a one-inch or half-inch difference at 100 yards, I would do it, if I thought it would help. Rifles are precision instruments by nature.

In shooting pistol, I'm typically shooting at 10 to 12 yards, occasionally at 7 yards or 15 yards and rarely, at 25 yards.

I can't imagine that primer pockets could net me any measurable difference in consistency or "accuracy" at the distance I shoot handguns.

Heck, they may not give me any edge in rifle, either... but I handload rifle in such lower volume and there is so much case prep involved already, it doesn't seem like too much of a bother to clean the pockets for rifle.