The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 29, 2009, 04:58 PM   #26
Creature

Quote:
Good thread, people. This is a very sensitive, passionate, and heartily-argued topic. So far, everyone's being civil. +1 to all of ya!
So very glad that you approve.
Old April 29, 2009, 05:28 PM   #27
Keltyke

Quote:
So very glad that you approve.
Here we go. There's always one. I try to pay everyone a genuine compliment...
Old April 29, 2009, 05:28 PM   #28
JuanCarlos

Quote:
Quote:
Some of those "freedom" lovers need to understand one thing: As provided by the same Constitution that they seem to love to throw in anyone's face who disagrees with their choices, your rights cease where another's begin.
The problem is that TGIF is not willing to guarantee my safety while I am unarmed on their premises. I would gladly disarm at their request if they could guarantee my safety. Until they can do that, I will not disarm. Instead, I will just not patronize their business.

So, who's rights begin where again?
Sounds like everybody is well within their rights to me.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:03 PM   #29
Housezealot

Quote:
I will take my chances with the Tactical Ted squashing my dinner rolls...because it more likely that he is at least attempting to aim his shots.
]
I love that, I might have to steal "tactical ted"

Last edited by Housezealot; April 29, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:30 PM   #30
stilettosixshooter

In Texas, licensed civilians can carry in any place that does under 51% of their business from alcohol (i.e. restaurant serving alcohol, but not in a bar). Just depends on state law. Random unrelated comment

I'm guessing TGIF has a pack of lawyers proofing their notices, but it's worth checking the state notice requirements for property owners wishing to prohibit CCWs on their property. In Texas, there is specific language and specific sign requirements so that people see them. If it doesn't meet those requirements, they can't keep you from carrying.

Of course, I wouldn't argue with them, I'd just peace out. I think that's ridiculous, but it is their right.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:51 PM   #31
luvsasmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature
So, who's rights begin where again?
Your rights end where theirs begin in this case. It is your right to carry a firearm. It is their right, as the property owner, to say "No Firearms Allowed", just as it is yours to say "No XYZ" in your house or on your property. (It is obviously your right to not hand them your money in protest of them exercising their right to a "weapon free zone".)
Old April 29, 2009, 11:12 PM   #32
bluegraytx

One thing to add to the Texas thread is that there is zero tolerance if your blood alcohol test comes up with anything but zero. The rule of thumb here is "one beer; one hour". That is, if you have one bottle of beer, don't leave the restaurant until one hour after your last glug.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:26 AM   #33
Wildalaska

Quote:
I will take my chances with the Tactical Ted squashing my dinner rolls...because it more likely that he is at least attempting to aim his shots.
yeah well where does that leave my chicken wings when some ninja has smeared his 511s all over them

May I just note that if you choose to leave your gun in the car, the odds of you being safe increase if you eat fast

WildheyhowaboutarmedguardsectionsinpizzahutAlaska TM
Old April 30, 2009, 01:48 AM   #34
USASA

Carry concealed and there usually is no issue. Want to make a "statement" by carrying open....this is what you get.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:30 AM   #35
cubsin2079

Bluegraytx

On the Texas tangent- On page 70 of the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws booklet in the Q and A section it clearly says--
Q: Can I carry my handgun if I am drinking alcohol?
A: "Carrying" while drinking is NOT prohibited, but it is a criminal offense to carry while intoxicated.
Best bet just dont drink because if you have one drink and get into a SD situation, eg. shooting, and any alcohol is in your system you are cooked!! Now where it gets really sticky is the definition of intoxicated. That is a longer post and its late.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:48 AM   #36
rantingredneck

Quote:
Carry concealed and there usually is no issue. Want to make a "statement" by carrying open....this is what you get
In Virginia he would be breaking the law, He is complying with the law by unconcealing his firearm.

That being said, still the restaurant's right to ask you to leave if you're armed.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 30, 2009, 09:14 AM   #37
pendennis

rantingredneck wrote:
Quote:
... I choose to boycott TGI Fridays based on their crappy food and horrible service (at least at the one I ate at here several years ago.......haven't been back).
Plus 1. We stopped going to TGI Fridays a couple of years ago. Poor service, so-so food.

No company can guarantee one's safety. It's part of the risk of living in an open society. You just have to weigh the risks and rewards.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:46 AM   #38
#18indycolts

Quote:
The Constitution is based on personal freedoms - EVERYONE'S, including the store owner who doesn't want guns in his establishment. Our rights stop where his begin
+1 to that! Too many people think that ALL property is open to their definition of personal freedom.
Old April 30, 2009, 10:14 AM   #39
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

We have hashed this "Private Property" debate sooo many times, I wrote this short response in the case it ever came up again.

You get to say what goes on, with your property, up until the time you open it up to business with the general public.

At that moment, you lose much of what you thought you had a right to.

Just about every aspect of your business has been or can be regulated by the government. Local, County, State or Fed. You become an unpaid agent for the various taxing authorities. You are bound by numerous health and safety codes. You can't discriminate against portions of the public. And on and on and on.

You can put up "No Guns" signs and enforce your will... Up until the time a law is passed that says otherwise. Conversely, you can put up "Guns Welcome" signs, up until the time your government says guns aren't permitted in your establishment.

Such regulation (for or against) are always attached to the Health and Safety of the general public. That same public you are in business with.

Private control of private property is one thing, but once you open your property to the general public, you lose much, if not most, of your control.

That being said, in areas that are not (currently) regulated, the property owner, or his agent, has the right to set the conditions of gun carry within the boundaries of the business property.

Don't like it? Let the specific company know why you are taking your business elsewhere. No reason to get into a tizzy about this. If enough people complain about the policy and it appears it may affect their profit margins, they will rethink their policies. If not, no big loss.

There are simply too many other businesses that don't care, one way or another, and will welcome you and your guns... And your money.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:27 PM   #40
USASA

Quote:
In Virginia he would be breaking the law, He is complying with the law by unconcealing his firearm.
Virgina is a Shall Issue state for a Concealed Handgun Permit. Get it- Learn it- Use it.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:37 PM   #41
rantingredneck

Quote:
Virgina is a Shall Issue state for a Concealed Handgun Permit. Get it- Learn it- Use it.
Virginia forbids concealed carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but allows open carry in said restaurant.

Understand the question at hand........

Old April 30, 2009, 12:51 PM   #42
Creature

Quote:
Your rights end where theirs begin in this case. It is your right to carry a firearm. It is their right, as the property owner, to say "No Firearms Allowed", just as it is yours to say "No XYZ" in your house or on your property. (It is obviously your right to not hand them your money in protest of them exercising their right to a "weapon free zone".)
But that's the rub...dont their rights end at your nose? Just because you are on their property doesn't mean they have the right to violate your rights or compromise your safety, does it?

For example, if you are on my property, am I within my rights to forbid you from speaking? How about your right to LEAVE my property...if I forbid you to leave, does it mean you must comply with my request? A little extreme, but you get the point. You have a certain rights that may not be infringed. If you wont allow me to carry a gun which I use for personal protection on your private property, then is it not reasonable for me to expect you to safeguard my well being and provide for my safety?
Old April 30, 2009, 01:01 PM   #43
Kyo

i wrote them. I included the link to this thread. Hope they figure it out soon. In GA everyone carries, and people who carry want to have a good time in restaurants. I just won't eat at a place that says no firearms. Besides, here we can conceal them so its not as big of a deal. It seems like that guy was just trying to put his opinion on you, when clearly the policy said no concealed. If it was out in the open, that is them being retarded.

They can ask you to leave for whatever they feel like. it is private property. The problem the OP has I think is the fact that the sign said concealed, and he was open carrying. So yea, they have the right to say to leave anytime they want. You are on their property and if you don't leave it is criminal trespassing.
Old April 30, 2009, 01:23 PM   #44
USASA

Quote:
Virginia forbids concealed carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but allows open carry in said restaurant.
You are correct. Makes a lot of sense...no concealed allowed, but open carry is okay. Who writes these laws anyway.
Old April 30, 2009, 01:51 PM   #45
rantingredneck

People that we elect...............scary isn't it?

Old April 30, 2009, 02:08 PM   #46
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I choose to boycott TGI Fridays based on their crappy food and horrible service
+1 I used to like th places food although the service has always been lousy. About 8 years ago they made a menu change they have never come back from.
If you ever find yourself in Taipei, Taiwan, it is about the only place that has legitimate AMERICAN food.
Old April 30, 2009, 02:26 PM   #47
Creature

Since when was this thread a commentary on TGIFriday's food quality? I thought it was about the right to carry vs the right for property owners to restrict guns. I guess I was wrong.
Old April 30, 2009, 04:53 PM   #48
Bartholomew Roberts

I support the right of property owners to restrict firearms from their business and I support the right of firearms owners to take their business to someplace that wants their money.

As for TGI Fridays, there are already a half dozen reasons I'd rather eat at Taco Bueno or Long John Silvers first; but I'll add this one to the list.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:09 PM   #49
MedicineBow

Quote:
Just because you are on their property doesn't mean they have the right to violate your rights or compromise your safety, does it?

For example, if you are on my property, am I within my rights to forbid you from speaking?
Yes.

And yes.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:44 PM   #50
SigSauerIsBetter

What the TGIF

I can't believe people still eat at TGIF. I started the boycott when we got ourselves a Bob Evans.

I am all about posted signs, if they say no guns (concealed or not), I usually just leave it in my vehicle. No need to get into a situation where some drunk guy thinks it would be funny to try and take your firearm from you...
Closed Thread