The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 26, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1
jtmckinney

Ruger 44 Rem Mag Carbine Manlicker Stock

I purchased this Ruger Remington 44 Magnum Carbine with a Manlicker stock from a gun dealer in 1993. Purchase price was $365.00. It came as in the pictures with the Lyman goast Ring adjustable rear site. I think it I added the strap later. I love the goast ring for this kind of gun.

The dealer told me at the time that it was a collectible and probably a good investment. I have seen several at gun shows since, always for more money but none were in as good a condition as mine.

I have fired this gun approx. 150 times according to my relaoding records and the ammo I have left for it. Stock looks better that the pictures show, blueing on the barrell and mechanism is in excellect condition. The mechanism and rifling show no wear. There is a little blueing loss on the piece at the end of the barrell that connects the wood.

Serial # Is 122xxx. I contacted Ruger at the time of purchase and they informed me that the gun left the factory August 1967. If someone could verify this I would appreciate it.

What is an estimated value today?

How many of these guns were manufacturered with the Manlicker stock? Which years?

I would also appreciate any opinions as to weather this gun will appreciate in value over the next few years.

Thanks in Advance!
James

Last edited by jtmckinney; July 29, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old March 26, 2010, 06:57 PM   #2
PetahW

[Serial # Is 122xxx. I contacted Ruger at the time of purchase and they informed me that the gun left the factory August 1967. If someone could verify this I would appreciate it.]

Why wouldn't you believe the folks who made it ?

[What is an estimated value today?]

1) Your pics are so dark as to be usless
2) It's probably worth more than you paid.

[How many of these guns were manufacturered with the Manlicker stock?]

I dunno, and Ruger's not tellin'. Non-employees can only guess.

[ Which years?]

A few years in the mid-1960's only

[I would also appreciate any opinions as to weather this gun will appreciate in value over the next few years.]

That would depend upon how well it was maintained, if it became damaged or abused, or if it underwent any more aftermarket modifications.

Old March 26, 2010, 08:35 PM   #3
jtmckinney

PetahW, if I read one of your post and was not interested I would just move on.

I thought this gun was interesting when I was looking at it at the gun dealer when I bought it and still think it is interesting today. It has functioned perfectly in the field taking 2 hogs and a deer. I wish I could hunt more.

My main question is about the Manlicker stock and the effect on the value of this gun and the future value.

If my post isn't perfect, please forgive.

Thank You!
James
Old March 26, 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
fisherman66

Quote:
My main question is about the Manlicker stock and the effect on the value of this gun and the future value.
I don't have a crystal ball, so I won't comment on future value; but YES, the Mannlicher style (International as Ruger calls it) adds approximately 20% to the value across the product line tilted heavier toward discontinued models. I suspect the 44 Carbine had less full stocks made percentage wise than the 77, #1 or even the 10/22 lines so I would guess it adds even more. I would want to find an auction price for the same model before I would be comfortable giving a valuation. Condition obviously plays a heavy role, but from what I can tell it looks to be well cared for. I'll go out on a limb (WAG - wild axx guess) and say the full stock adds 30% over the standard Carbine value.

Last edited by fisherman66; March 26, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old March 26, 2010, 08:59 PM   #5
PetahW

[PetahW, if I read one of your post and was not interested I would just move on.]

That's nice, but I answered because I WAS interested - I'm just sorry that the answers I gave didn't meet with your approval / what you wanted to read.

Old March 26, 2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Scorch

The Ruger 44 Magnum carbines have a following among Ruger fans. The name was originally "Deerslayer", but that was dropped due to it being a trademarked name. Value for a standard model varies from $500 for a shooter to $800 or so for a good specimen in mint or near mint condition. I would guess that the Mannlicher stock would make it more desirable, but will not venture to say how much more valuable.

If Ruger told you it shipped in 1967, then that is when it shipped.
Old March 26, 2010, 09:44 PM   #7
hickstick_10

Nice rifle.

She probably wont see the north end of 1000 bucks (at least unless inflation takes off at mach speed) but theres good value in that as a shooter, and to ruger collectors they may dole out 900 bucks for it, if it is in VERY VERY good condition.

And ya I agree ruger told you when it was made, you need to look no further Serial number paperwork/records is pretty good with most domestic arms MFG.

In the end, any firearm is only worth what you can sell it for (check out the yahoos on gunbroker TRYING to sell absolute crap for 700 bucks)

Long and short, your mileage may very depending on how/where you try to sell the gun if the time comes.
Old March 26, 2010, 10:28 PM   #8
jtmckinney

Thanks for the value oinions and they seem to agree with my common sense as to what I think one is worth. I think this firearm is on the high side of good and anyone that looks at it can tell that it has seen limited ammo through it.

Does the Lyman goast ring detracf form the value? It sure fits me and my shooting for this range of gun. I have also installed a goast ring onto my muzzel-loader and love it.

If I sell it, it would be to buy a 40sw semi-auto and reloading supplies.

Are there no numbers available as to the number of Manlicker stocks produced for this gun? Forgive me is I keep asking this question.

Thanks Guys!
James
Old March 27, 2010, 06:20 AM   #9
rgillis

jt,

Have you had a chance to post your question on the Ruger Forum
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/ You may be able to find someone there who has some insight. Nice looking rifle by the way. I've always been fond of the Ruger .44's and I love the mannlicher stock.
Old April 5, 2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Evanb

Value of Mannlicher Stock .44 carbine

The value of your rifle to a collector might bring as much as $800 if in original condition, with original sights. Shooters generally will pay a little less. I just paid $600 for one as a shooter and I am happy with it. I have others also, but paid from $250 (several years ago) to $399 most recently without the fancy stock.
Old April 6, 2010, 07:36 AM   #11
jtmckinney

Thanks guys

Thanks to all!

I was considering selling this gun to buy other toys but for now I think I will keep it. I have never actually sold a gun I liked and I like this gun, it is a great shooter for certain conditions.

Once again Thanks!
James
Old April 7, 2010, 03:24 AM   #12
natman

Your gun is a Ruger 44 Carbine International. Some 44 Carbines came with a peep sight, but this one was added on later. A ghost ring is a special type of peep sight with a large aperture. I can't tell whether yours is a ghost ring or not. The International is rare, there is a version with factory checkering that is rarer still.

The 10/22 was originally built to be a companion piece to the 44 Carbine. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!

A nice article about Ruger carbines:

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aastrugerlongsa.htm

The reference book for 10/22 and 44 Carbines:

http://www.amazon.com/Sturm-Ruger-Ri...0628296&sr=8-1

Nice gun!
Old April 7, 2010, 11:19 PM   #13
jtmckinney

Thanks natman

I enjoyed the artical and plan on orering the book later this week.

It does have a Lyman goast ring that was on the gun when I bought it. I like it a lot for shooting at the range this gun is most effective at. there is also another resourse suggesten on another site "RENE" that I am looking into.

I am considering buying a 10/22. not because of this gun but because of the weight and length for a semi 22lr.

Thank You!
James