The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
RamItOne

Just spoke with a manager at Walmart

Well I was at Walmart and wanted to see what if any ammo they had, called last night and was told they should be getting ammo in this morning.
Go in when they said, they didn't have anything, spoke with a mgr there and he said that there was talk within the company about not stocking .223 ammo.
My face went to this

Nothing is final by any means, just not the news you want to hear on a day off and when you're sick.

He said Walmart is the largest buyer of guns, makes sense, while your LGS has a bigger selection they only have one or two stores.

Walmart of course wants to make money, but I guess they need to look at how much money they make off selling products that the "anti gun" crowd dislikes vs how much business will they lose to Target.

The only bright side is the ammo that Walmart stops selling (IF they do) will still of course be produced and sold elsewhere.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 10, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Alabama Shooter

I would say any comment by any employee of Walmart working in a store on company policy should be disregarded.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

I agree with Alabama, however, I would not rule it out. It's all about PR for them. If they find they can get more antigunners in the store by discontinuing the sale of ammo/guns I am sure they will do it.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
RamItOne

Yeah I hope so, had he been a stocker or cashier wouldn't have given it any thought, he was a manager, but none the less I do hope it's just grapevine at best

Old January 10, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Hal

Biden invited WalMart in to discuss what to ban.
WalMart is the largest retailer of guns and ammunition, which is why Biden wanted to talk to them.
http://5newsonline.com/2013/01/09/wa...t-white-house/

Ooops - looks like it was changed to a meeting with Holder instead of Biden.
Same reason though - WalMart is the biggest seller.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the story got twisted around in the retelling, which would accont for the WallWorld manager saying what he did.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:06 PM   #6
kayakersteve

In Walmart, you are a manager if you can count to ten and smile at the same time.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Xaak

Walmart today

Walmart visit today was like most places, limited everything, but they did have some 223 and several bulk packs of CCI .22 lr, which had been vacant. I assume by this evening they will be vacant holes again. I think that there is a lot of rumors, much of it started at the level of retail, so, the best you can do is support our cause, vote and be a voice.

I got to think with nearly half of the homes in the US estimated to owning at least one firearm, just how much of a swing in sales this could be. I know I won't shop Dick's for their immediate show of cowardice and lack of integrity for supporting the Constitution. Never, I wouldn't care if they turned around and gave a Colt to every legal body that showed up. Burn me once, shame on you.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
rickyrick

Walmart has never gave a crud about any complaints against them, do I doubt that they will start now. I don't think that they sell much ammo at each store individually anyways. So they may just drop ammo all the same. They only recently started selling AR type rifles, do they will be the victim of really bad timing.
If they stop selling .223 at the request of the Obama administration, I think I would have to try to live without Walmart.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Alabama Shooter

Actually if Walmart stopped carrying ammo I would quit going all together. Not becuase of their policy but because I did not need to drive as far to do my shopping.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #10
LockedBreech

Pro-gun people spend more than anti-gun. Guns and ammo are expensive. I think Wal-Mart will make the right call.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:54 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
Actually if Walmart stopped carrying ammo I would quit going all together. Not becuase of their policy but because I did not need to drive as far to do my shopping.
+1. Generally the only reason I go to Walmart is when ammo or motor oil is on the shopping list, and I believe that their marketing department is savvy enough to realize that myself and Alabama Shooter are not the only ones like this. Furthermore, they have so many locations in gun-friendly rural areas that I'm confident they're also savvy enough not to take any overwrought missteps in an attempt to kiss up to gun-control advocates.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that black rifles will disappear, "Zombie" ammo will disappear, and some subtle changes may be made in ammo-selling policies, but that's likely to be the extent of it. I am confident that .223 will become available again once the current panic wanes.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:40 PM   #12
HK_Flo

I bet they stop selling ammo altogether in the urban stores.

They already don't sell anything more than BB/paintball/airsoft at the walmart in my city. Have to drive to the country walmart to buy real guns.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:50 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
I bet they stop selling ammo altogether in the urban stores. They already don't sell anything more than BB/paintball/airsoft at the walmart in my city. Have to drive to the country walmart to buy real guns.
Where do you live?

AFAIK every single Walmart in my area has ammo, although some have more than others. This includes a local store that was given a total renovation and reopened about 9mos ago. All of the stores seem to sell a LOT of it and IMHO it would be foolish for them to take it out.

That said, AFAIK only two DFW area Walmarts sell guns, and they're located at opposite extremities of the metroplex- one in a far NE suburb, the other in a far SW suburb, probably ~40mi from one another. Despite this, you can drive 60mi north, and both the Sherman, TX and Denison, TX Walmarts have guns, despite only being ~6mi apart!
Old January 10, 2013, 03:07 PM   #14
rickyrick

Many urban walmarts don't have ammo, some places only have archery and muzzle loader supplies. Others have no sporting goods section.

They stock items based in demographics of each community.
Old January 10, 2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Bigdog57

Since I handload all I shoot except rimfire and have other places to go for anything else, I seldom set foot in Wally's. I even ordered my last few boxes of .22LR online, as nobody in town had the particular load I like (and more important that my guns like!).
I did go there to get a folding table to do my deer meat processing on, as they had what I wanted, they were close and I didn't have time to shop around.
They also have all the canning supplies I need - that rather surprised me!
Old January 10, 2013, 06:07 PM   #16
RamItOne

Wound up being late for a movie so had to kill some time for the next one, went to a different walmart, actually had a box of remington .38 + p, $36.xx w/ tax for 100 rounds so I snatched that up. Plenty of shotgun shells, .357 Sig, surprisingly one box of 7.62x39 ($30/40 rounds), and some misc CCI .22 Spoke with the counter guy there, he said last he was told (2 days ago) their local distribution center had no more .223, he did not know (wouldnt expect him to) any eta.

Old January 10, 2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Newton24b

actually when it comes to guns at walmart...

the markup on firearms and ammo is actually pretty low. thus to make profit on that needs selling massive amounts. ammo is particularly unpleasant because you can go 2 months without a case of a specific cartridge coming in, have another 3 months of it sitting on the shelf before someone buys it.

others are sold before its even in the store.

at the same time, alot of the stores want to do away with ammo and guns because the majority of employees are scared crapless of the guns. management as well. i know one store where an employee whos sole job is to sell guns is so scared of guns that they discourage customers from even looking at guns.

but if walmart stopped selling guns and ammo, they would sell less clean underpants, toilet paper, personal wipes, and antacids to the antis who see that nice shiney model 700 in the case, or walk by that endcap of shotgun ammo.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:45 PM   #18
Webleymkv

Stopped at my local Walmart this evening and they'd just gotten a shipment of ammo, including 1500 rounds of .223, in. Not sure I'd take much stock in this rumor.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:47 PM   #19
RamItOne

^^^^

Well that's certainly good to hear.

Do you recall the brand and price?

Old January 11, 2013, 12:03 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not that they will answer me but tomorrow I will kill some time on the clock and email corporate and ask them...

I would never be so naive as to think even my store manager has a clue about new policy not even initiated yet...

Heck... our store was told by mgmt. that we were getting $460+ bonus only to have corporate tell us we went over allotted labor budget so no bonus for anyone in the store...

And you shouldn't even consider the words of a dept. mgr. or "zone" mgr...

As for ammo... I am never in the store on the day the ammo hits the shelf as I am still hunting ANY bulk box .22LR ammo...

Brent
Old January 11, 2013, 11:52 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

I am with the others who say disregard. Look back at all the other posts about this issue we have seen in the past and how accurate they were. I think they must look for gossipy hysterical people when hiring for the gun counter. I general like the guy at my local wal-mart, but last week he was talking about how this shortage is just as bad as 2008. Not close. they had 45 ACP in stock along with a half dozen other "standard" calibers. There were month long stretches with only 243, 357 sig, and bird shot in 2008.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:45 AM   #22
4thHorseman

Wally World cannot afford a boycott from the people in the liberal states.
They will do what makes them the money. Do not expect Wally World to take the high road on anything, they are in business to make money and that is where their allegiance lies.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old January 12, 2013, 04:04 AM   #23
Hal

Quote:
Wally World cannot afford a boycott from the people in the liberal states
LOL!
You ever see what a "liberal boycott" is?

They boycott a store by not going to their regular store - they just drive a few miles and go to another one.

Either that, or, they just go to the store at a different time of day.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:56 AM   #24
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
They will do what makes them the money. Do not expect Wally World to take the high road on anything, they are in business to make money and that is where their allegiance lies.
I really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at their meeting with the VP. I wonder what he offered/ threatened them with? They would be vulnerable to all kinds of government intimidation and bribes to throw gun owners under the bus.

While Walmart not selling guns and ammo anymore would raise my shooting costs a bit it would by no means be the worst thing could happen.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #25
Webleymkv

Quote:
Well that's certainly good to hear.

Do you recall the brand and price?
TulAmmo at $5.27/20 rounds and Federal for $34.97/100 rounds.

Tags
223 , ammo , walmart