The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2002, 03:52 PM   #1
Kharn

Sanding the toe?

I've noticed several people talking about sanding the toe on shotguns for a better fit. I'm interested in doing the operation on my 12ga 870, as I currently get a less-than-perfect fit (heavy field loads are no fun what-so-ever and light dove loads get irritating after a few rounds, but my 8mm Mauser is a blast to shoot because the stock is very short and wide at the buttplate, only like 5"x2"). It probably doesnt help that I am 5'7", 180lb, and wear a 42short jacket (basically: I'm short and tubby in such a way that the toe of the 870 digs into my chest).

What exactly is involved in sanding down the stock, just go at it with a miniature belt sander until the recoil pad does not stick down below the wood, and has the same curvature? Before and after pictures would be a great help.

Kharn
Old January 7, 2002, 07:50 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's not a question of sanding the stock, Kharn. If the toe of the PAD is digging in, a slight rounding will take some of the pain out. This works best for most women and barrelchested men. Use a belt sander or just a sanding block and take it slow. Doing too much will reduce the surface area in contact, thus increasing what we want to decrease.

Sometimes taking a little off the inside edge of the pad helps too. Again, go slow...
Old January 7, 2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Ledbetter

I did this

to my Mossberg 590. What I did, which worked real good, was to eliminate the point and put an even radius there instead. I only worked on the outside of the pad. I sanded about 1/4" of the point off and then rounded. Do not remove so much material that the concave shape of the pad is affected.

Good luck