The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2014, 11:13 AM   #1
KCRaider21

AR Purchasing Opinions

I am thinking of purchasing an AR and would like some opinions on brands, models, calibers and the like. I do not know much about them so all opinions are welcome. I do not have a ton of money to spend but I would want something nice and would mostly just use it for target shooting and maybe a little hunting.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

This looks better suited to our forum for semiauto rifles, so I'll ship it off there.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:22 AM   #3
globemaster3

What would you be hunting and what is the minimum caliber in your state for said game?

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 14, 2014, 11:36 AM   #4
odugrad

I've been extremely impressed with my Daniel Defense rifles. And their customer service is top-notch.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:46 PM   #5
9x19

If the .223 is legal for what you want to hunt:

For a ready-built AR on a budget, I went with the S&W 15 Sport (actually have two now), and have no complaints.

There are a number of good rifles at good prices right now, so it really comes down to what you want.
Old January 14, 2014, 01:14 PM   #6
KCRaider21

I'd probably just be predator hunting.
Old January 14, 2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

If you aren't going to shoot it to overheat, save some bucks and get the S&W.
There are a ton of them in circulation, and I don't hear much moaning and groaning. I see them everywhere for under $800 U.S. If you reload or have access to inexpensive ammo, or if you are a walking torture test for firearms, buy something better. I like the minimalist Colt M4, as light as possible for what I'm doing with it. Colt or better if you really get trigger happy.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Chinny33

best BANG for the buck?

Stag Arms
Daniel Defense
Proverbs 27:12
Old January 14, 2014, 05:46 PM   #9
ParabellumJ

What is your budget? Beat rifle for around $1000 is the colt LE6920. Beat "cheap" rifle is a PSA premium. You can build a lower and buy a complete upper for $600. For $800 Windham Weaponry is excellent.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:07 PM   #10
chris in va

Probably want to steer clear of 'M-forgeries' then. Maybe something like this?

Old January 14, 2014, 10:41 PM   #11
Mobuck

" And their customer service is top-notch. " Not to sound demeaning but that line reminds me of the "roadside assistance" offer with new cars. Shouldn't be needed.
I make most of my own stuff including "black rifles" but I use DelTon uppers almost exclusively these days. Good quality and reasonable priced.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Dc777

Bushmaster makes affordable guns. They aren't top of the line but they work. You might get an ar or m4 and realize that you don't like them... You will never buy a new gun, sell it, and get hat you paid for it. Go for the less expensive options and if you like the platform then upgrade. Personally I like my sks and ak47 better but that's just me. Ar's require more cleaning and the 5.56 lacks in power. That round was deigned to injure someone do disable the victim and the two other people needed to carry him off the field ( an experts words, not mine). I like my ar's, but I like the foreigners guns more and I hate to admit that. That's my opinion though.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:35 PM   #13
globemaster3

Target shooting and predator hunting...

Let's settle on the 5.56/.223, 22-250, or .204 and put away the bigger stuff.

Let's get rid of the A front sight and look for a railed or low profile gas block and a free float tube.

Let's also stick with a flat-top, and rule out A-2 uppers and remove able carry handles/sights.

Now a question... Barrel. You want to go with 16", 18", 20", or 24"? Heavyweight profile or bull?

Since low cost is a factor, here are some companies to consider:

PSA
Bushmaster
DPMS
Doublestar
Diamond
Olympic Arms
Stag
Del-Ton
CMMG
(In no order, and I'm probably forgetting a couple)

Another question... Are you in a hurry or can you wait?

If in a hurry, buy a complete rifle.

If you can wait, buy a stripped lower and do a build, then keep an eye out for uppers on sale.

Old January 15, 2014, 09:50 AM   #14
KCRaider21

No, I'm in no hurry and to answer a previous question I'm thinking the budget would be around the $800 area if I can get a good gun for that, which sounds like I could. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the comments.
Old January 15, 2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Ibmikey

PSA has a premium M4 carbine with a Leupold scope on sale and in your price range, both rifle and scope are A+++.
Old January 15, 2014, 12:51 PM   #16
Brotherbadger

$800 with scope included in that cost? I'd probably go PSA and get a nice scope to put on it. Someone suggested Del-ton, that would be decent too(I've heard they have really stepped up their quality lately). PSA had some SHOT show deals right now on complete uppers for under $300. Pair that with a lower and you have a very nice rifle for under $600. Rest of the money can go towards a scope.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old January 15, 2014, 09:06 PM   #17
Justice06RR

Spikes Tactical Midlength

Quote:
No, I'm in no hurry and to answer a previous question I'm thinking the budget would be around the $800 area if I can get a good gun for that, which sounds like I could. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the comments.
You are right on the ballpark of a Spikes Tactical AR15 with midlength gas system (longer than the M4 Carbine) for $849 at Primary Arms website. Quality and Customer service is top notch for a rifle in that price range. Better than PSA and SW Sport.

I have owned all 3 rifles (PSA, SW, and Spikes), and even the Colt6920. The Spikes is about even with the Colt, and you are not cutting any corners for cost or CS.
Old January 15, 2014, 09:53 PM   #18
globemaster3

Ok, so no rush. That's a good thing and will help you drive cost down.

Now you need to consider barrel length and weight. What the others are pushing you toward is a carbine configured upper. 16" barrel is not a bad way to go and has its benefits, but it will cost you some velocity. Depending on range for your target shooting or predator hunting, this could make some difference.

I would steer clear of an M-4 styled upper for what you are looking for. Great for home defense, acceptable for your use, but I think the configuration I am steering you toward will better fit your use, unless you want to go the other route.

And another question... Does your $800 include glass?

Old January 15, 2014, 10:46 PM   #19
Eazyeach

I am really happy with my newly purchased mp15 sport. $641 out the door. Lotta weapon for a little price.
Old January 16, 2014, 01:06 AM   #20
Cirdan

I'm happy with my Windham. Made by the old Bushmaster guys in the old Bushmaster factory. Not too expensive, and not top of the line, but I'm not headed to Afghanistan either. . .
Old January 16, 2014, 02:30 AM   #21
Ben Towe

My Del-Ton carbine runs like a Singer sewing machine. It is a 16 inch barrel with mid length gas system. I bought the rifle from a friend with about 50 rounds through it for $600. It had a A2 front sight block, which I hate. I replaced it with a low profile gas block that I got for $15, slapped on a cheap free float quad rail forearm ($40) and topped it with a Nikon P223 BDC scope and their P-Series rings ($180) and a set of cheapo 45° irons ($22). Finishing touches were bargain bin rail covers ($6), a $9 Tapco SAW style grip (ugly but it fits my hand well) and a sling I had laying around the house. $870 bucks later I have a nice little all around gun that is dead reliable and I don't cringe if it's bouncing around in the truck.

If you'll look around and be thoughtful you can put together a set up you will enjoy without laying out a wad of cash. Virtually everything I listed above was bought on sale. Don't overlook used guns, especially right now. A huge amount of ARs were bought in the past year and people are feeling the money crunch, particularly after the Christmas season. I recommend using Nikon glass or better. Don't skimp too much on optics.

Last edited by Ben Towe; January 16, 2014 at 02:37 AM.
Old January 16, 2014, 04:38 AM   #22
Nathan

Frankly, if it's really for hunting, I would find something with an A2 or PRS stock, a 20-24" barrel, 223 Wylde chamber, free float tube and a quality trigger. RRA might make something like that, or you could build it.
Old January 16, 2014, 03:50 PM   #23
savage89

You can buy a dpms sportical or orcal at www.hinterlandoutfitters.com for $625+shipping and then the fee a ffl dealer would charge but you would be under $700. Ive never had any issue with my sportical I put cheap scope from wal-mart tula ammo and a cheap laserbore sighter and I was shooting a 8inch target at 200yrds im not sayn it was a good group till I did some shooting to get scope better sighted
Old January 16, 2014, 07:27 PM   #24
rdmallory

Centerfire systems has uppers for $329
You can buy two and a lower for $800

Doug