The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 15, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1
btmj

Red dot sight recommendation

I want to put a red dot sight on an AR-15. If I decide to go to the $400+ price point, then Aimpoint pro is what I would go with. However, if I decide to spend in the $250 range, I am leaning toward the Burris Fastfire III.

Any other recommendations at the $200 - $300 level? and why do you recommend?

Jim
Old January 15, 2014, 11:15 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Vortex Strikefire. PSA is selling them for $120 right now

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...green-dot.html
Old January 15, 2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Metal god

+1 on the strike fire . I have one , works well but heavy-ish . The Vortex Spark is on sell as well at PSA . It smaller more compact and $150 .
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...dot-optic.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 16, 2014, 12:20 AM   #4
DubC-Hicks

The Lucid HD7 and M7 red dots are very nice in that price range.
Old January 16, 2014, 02:46 PM   #5
rep1954

In the $250 range I would just stick with the Fastfire III, but the EOTech XPS would be at the top of the list even if I had to wait longer to save up for it.
I own and enjoy both.
Old January 16, 2014, 03:17 PM   #6
marine6680

The Vortex options are very durable and good quality. You get a lot for what you will pay. The aimpoint is better but it also costs that "better" price.

The Strikefire is a 4MOA dot while the Sparc is a 2MOA. The Aimpoint is 2MOA as well.

The Vortex options are on sale because Vortex is releasing new versions with some improvements. They are also releasing a prismatic sight as well. In 1x or even a magnified version at 3x. The prismatic sight looks nice, and has the ability to work battery free because the reticle is etched. I am considering one myself to replace my Strikefire... Not due to it being bad but as an upgrade.

The lucid option looks good as well. All reports claim it is durable.

I hear the burris is more fragile... Don't know personally, that just what I have heard/read.

If you get a vortex strikefire that is on sale... The main complaint is the buttons and their location making turning the sight on or bumping the brightness by accident too easy. I suggest mounting the sight turned 90* to the side in the mount. This will put them on the bottom of the sight and keep them protected but still easy to use. Sighting in will require a little bit more thinking on your part due to the up/down and left/right knobs swapping function.

The new version lessens this problem with its redesign.

Last edited by marine6680; January 16, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old January 16, 2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Mannlicher

take a close look at the Docter sight. I have really come to like these. I get them from docterusa.com. Dean is a great guy to deal with.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 16, 2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Rogervzv

My advice is to not go cheap on your AR15 optic. Aimpoint or EOTech will not let you down. The Aimpoint Pro is a great choice, as is the EOTech XPS series.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:46 PM   #9
ParabellumJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogervzv View Post
My advice is to not go cheap on your AR15 optic. Aimpoint or EOTech will not let you down. The Aimpoint Pro is a great choice, as is the EOTech XPS series.

I second this. You get what you pay for, if you're lucky.
Old January 17, 2014, 12:51 AM   #10
marine6680

To an extent yes... You get what you pay for... But not always.

We all know of items that cost a lot but are inferior to other cheaper like items or simply not any better or any improvement is less than the extra cost.

We all know items that are cheaper than like items but are just as good or a little better.

Then there is the value factor... Aimpoints are very good, but do you need that level, or would something almost as good suit your needs well... Maybe the cheaper item is better bang for the buck while also filling your needs.

If you want the big ticket go fasters for your rifle and are willing to part with the cash... By all means do so.

Or if you want a quality item at a fair price, go for it.

What we all want to avoid is buying junk... Its even worse if its expensive junk. Aimpoints, EO Techs, and Trigicons are all quality items, so no worries there. Its just a question of if they line up with need, want, and price.

As far as Vortex, they have a lifetime warranty... If it breaks, they will fix or replace; even if the damage is your fault. I doubt they would offer that if it was junk. The glass isn't as nice and the optical coatings are less effective... But they are less than half the cost.

I almost bought an Aimpoint, but I decided to spend less and use the rest for more bullets.

To each their own.
Old January 17, 2014, 04:02 AM   #11
hemiram

I haven't shot or owned all that many red dots, but the Vortex Strikefire is nice and seems to hold up well on my friend's guns, even with the rough handling they give their 15-22 rifles. I like the Lucid too, but the green/red option on the Vortex makes it my pick for $120 right now.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:01 AM   #12
BillyJack3

I'll second Docter Optics. Great dot and Dean is not only the only official US distributor, but he's probably one of he fastest, most accurate shooters I've ever seen.

For a budget optic, many love Vortex. I went with Primary Arms and have several that have functioned flawlessly. I like both the micro dot and the 30mm. Can't beat the price, service, communication, shipping and quality for what they charge.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:48 AM   #13
kutz

Fastfire
Old January 17, 2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Old Stony

Like Roger said, the Eotech won't let you down, but the batteries sure will. I went out last night for coyotes and hogs...tried to turn it on and nothing. I pulled the batteries and they were leaking all over everything. I cleaned out everything as best I could and pulled out the spares I keep in a pouch attached to the buttstock and they were leaking too and wouldn't work. These batteries ...Duracells... were maybe 6 months old at the the MOST. Maybe if you get a model that doesn't use AAA's it will be better. Thankfully I have a good set of BUIS, but they just aren't the same in low light.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:34 AM   #15
DubC-Hicks

Old stony, that's a problem with alkalines in general. Try lithiums. You won't have any trouble, and they last quite a while longer.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:30 AM   #16
marine6680

What kind of environment did you have these batteries stored in?

If you keep a flashlight in a car in summer, the heat can cause leaking. Maybe a similar situation for you. Usually batteries not installed in a circuit won't leak unless abused in some way.
Old January 17, 2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Beentown71

SPARC is a great low cost alternative. For a REALLY low cost option the Bushnell trs-25 has impressed me. Bought it as a quick fix and it has been beaten....still works great.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:18 PM   #18
Fishbed77

If you are going to spend $300, just go ahead and spend another $80 or so and get an Aimpoint PRO.

None of the other options priced similar to or less than the PRO even come close to its quality.
Old January 18, 2014, 04:43 AM   #19
Old Stony

marine 6680...
My rifle has been stored in a safe in my house and not subjected to extremes of temps. After close inspection, I had to order parts of put the sight back into working order. I have 3 identical Eotechs mounted on different weapons and have not had any problems with any of them until this. I stated above that they were AAA batteries, but my brain must have wandered, they were AA size. If I were to order another sight such as this, I think I would prefer the type that took the flat batteries as I have never seen them leak.
Old January 18, 2014, 05:21 AM   #20
NWCP

I've been real pleased with an EOTech XPS 2.0 on my RRA. Nice and compact and light as well. It uses a single CR123.
Old January 18, 2014, 01:02 PM   #21
marine6680

Bad cells? Odd

Batteries are pretty robust, modern ones... I would try other chemistries, lithium batteries may not leak as readily as the other poster suggested.

I would love to see a LiFe chemistry rechargeable replacement for such things. Very robust cells.would have to figure out how to drop voltage down to the right range though.
Old January 18, 2014, 01:16 PM   #22
SR420

I would stick with a mil-spec Aimpoint or Eotech.

I'm using an Aimpoint Comp M4 that I purchased used on my AR ... love it.

Educate yourself about counterfeit copies BEFORE spending your money.