The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2014, 10:16 AM   #51
MrBorland

I don't see it as an either/or: The well-rounded wheelgunner will be proficient with both triggers, and be proficient at both types of shooting - target accuracy at target speed, and combat accuracy at combat speed. Personally, I prefer not having any glaring holes in my repertoire.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:41 AM   #52
mavracer

I shoot both ways prolly a little more SA than DA maybe 60% to 40% and I certainly agree with Mr Borland here
Quote:
I don't see it as an either/or: The well-rounded wheelgunner will be proficient with both triggers, and be proficient at both types of shooting - target accuracy at target speed, and combat accuracy at combat speed. Personally, I prefer not having any glaring holes in my repertoire.
One things for sure it doesn't matter if you believe you can shoot DA as well as SA or not you're probably correct.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 10, 2014, 11:15 AM   #53
saleen322

To take full advantage of the features, it is best to be proficient with both. When I competed in LE courses, they were all shot DA. In PPC, most were shot DA except the 50 yd line, my scores were higher shooting that SA. In silhouette the closest target was 50 meters and the longest was 200 meters. I shot the course SA and can't ever remember seeing a serious competitor shoot DA. I continue to use both and would not consider buying a DA only revolver.
Old January 10, 2014, 11:27 AM   #54
shafter

I used to shoot my DA's in SA mode because I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn otherwise. Plus I like single action revolvers and cocking the hammer first came natural.

Then I discovered dry firing! After thousands of click click clicks with my revolvers I've found that my shooting was much better than I expected when I decided to try shooting DA again. I think learning to shoot well in double action mode is worth doing if for no other reason than it makes your single action shooting that much better!
Old January 11, 2014, 05:13 PM   #55
ShootingNut

Thanks Everyone!

I have appreciated all the comments to my original post. You have
given a dedicated semi auto shooter, the incentive to get to work
shooting my GP100 in DA. I have started working with dry firing it
with snap caps, and you are right it soon feels very natural. I will
keep at it, and will be anxious to test my DA skills at the range soon.
Regards to all!
SN
Old January 11, 2014, 05:37 PM   #56
Cheapshooter

Both.
Mostly S/A with my Ruger GP100 6" full under lug barrel. Much more of a target or hunting revolver than SD
Some of each with a S&W Model 10 4" HB. But much more D/A practice as that is how it would most likely be shot if I decided to use it for SD
I'll throw in this one, A little D/A for fun with my 1895 Nagant. If I have a go-rilla, with a couple pals to help me pull the old Nagant's D/A trigger.
None of the above are actually used for CCW or HD. The one revolver I do carry CCW at tmes gives me no choice. D/A Ruger LCR.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 12, 2014, 03:44 PM   #57
Hawg

I shoot SA. DA is awkward for me and I hate that long trigger pull. Yeah I know practice, practice, practice but I'm too old and set in my ways to change now.
Old January 12, 2014, 10:35 PM   #58
Poindexter

One of my hunting buddies called me out for shooting my DA revolver like it was an SA.

What I did that worked for me (I do reload) was go to a bunch of steel target matches. I shot those DAO as required by the rules and it made a huge difference for me.

Certainly taking my bone stock Redhawk to steel target matches was sort of like taking an F-150 to autocross against a bunch of corvettes, but I was only competing with myself and became a much better shooter for doing it.
Old January 15, 2014, 12:35 PM   #59
44 AMP
Staff

Times, attitudes change...

What I see today is a lot of people saying that a DA revolver should be shot DA, and some go so far as to say DAO.

For the better part of the last century, the general belief was that DA revolvers should be fired SA for best accuracy, and the DA feature was for up close, "emergency use only".

Unlike more "modern" folks, I'm still essentially still in that category. 99% of my revolver shooting is SA. Up until I turned 30, it seemed I couldn't hit the proverbial bull in the butt shooting DA. Then, one day, just for grins, I tried again, and the plate just went tink, tink, tink, tink, tink, tink.

I can shoot DA, and well enough to hit the plate (30ish yds) regularly, with one of my S&Ws, at least. But I choose to shoot SA.

You do what you think best, but don't take any crap from someone who says you're "doing it wrong", because, if you hit what you aim at, there is no wrong.

Some things might be better, but there is no wrong, unless you miss.
Old January 16, 2014, 11:11 AM   #60
Hal

Quote:
You do what you think best, but don't take any crap from someone who says you're "doing it wrong", because, if you hit what you aim at, there is no wrong
I actually like to see people thumb back the hammer of a D/A...

It removes any and all doubt I might have of which one of us is the better shot...

Let's think of this not in the context of a friendly day at the range, but, in the context of an encounter in a dark alley.
If I'd encounter some BG that thumbed back the hammer of a D/A, my confidence meter would red line.
I'd know 100% that - I owned his sorry butt.
Old January 18, 2014, 03:38 AM   #61
riverrat38

I don't even have to think about how to shoot.
I have three revolvers, two of which are DAO, a S&W 442 and a 640 Pro.
The third is a Ruger .44 Special Flat Top.
No decisions to make! These are my only firearms.
The Centennials are for CC and the Ruger is for fun, but I also enjoy shooting the S&W's at the range.

Best,
Rick
Old January 18, 2014, 06:30 PM   #62
pete2

Just shot an IDPA match today, double action every shot. Longest shot was 20yds. It is really fun with the revolver. The big difference isn't the double action pull, it's the longer time to reload. If you haven't tried an IDPA match, you should try it with a revolver or semi, it's great fun. It's really a challenge with a real carry gun, 642 or LC9.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:40 PM   #63
Hawg

Quote:
If I'd encounter some BG that thumbed back the hammer of a D/A, my confidence meter would red line.
I'd know 100% that - I owned his sorry butt.
You might have a rude awakening and a belly full of lead. Overconfidence is as bad or worse than not having any confidence.
Old January 18, 2014, 07:57 PM   #64
Willie Lowman

^^^ Exactly ^^^

Just because someone thumbed a hammer back doesn't mean they can't shoot. It just means they will have a short, light trigger pull for their next shot.

Dark alley encounters aren't a Sergio Leone movie and you aren't Clint.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:49 AM   #65
Hal

Quote:
Just because someone thumbed a hammer back doesn't mean they can't shoot.
You might be correct.
However - I didn't say anything of the kind.
It's very possible that person is an excellent shot.
Old January 20, 2014, 09:24 PM   #66
tomrkba

Quote:
Your Double Action Revolver?
Do you shoot single action for better accuracy like I do?
The trigger pull is just too darn long, I have never practiced
enough DA to achieve any accuracy.
Seek training with a competent revolver instructor. You will make great strides with proper instruction. I improved more in a two day course than in six months on my own.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:23 PM   #67
eldermike

You folks need to go watch some cowboy shoots.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:19 AM   #68
CDR_Glock

I do double action only. It takes some time to master it, but when you do, you realize that it's much faster to fire off an entire cylinder of ammunition.
Old January 30, 2014, 03:43 AM   #69
hemiram

I when I used to shoot a lot, and was a lot younger, I used to be able to shoot either one of my Dan Wesson 15-2s or my S&W 28 as fast as I could with commercial .357 (Usually 125 gr JHPs) and could put all six shots into a 6" circle at 30 feet or so. I don't shoot that well now in single action, unless I shoot .38 wadcutters. I seem to be much more sensitive to recoil now, not even taking into consideration my totally trashed right shoulder.
Old January 30, 2014, 10:01 AM   #70
5-SHOTS

I had a 2'' S&W 686-6 Plus for two or three years. I can't remember me shooting it once SA during the time I had it. So I purchased a 2''1/4 Ruger SP101 DAO... Then a 1''7/8 S&W 649-1 Bodyguard (maybe I shot a cylinder SA in about 800 rounds).
The last revolver I purchased is a .22L.R. target revolver that i shoot a little more SA.
Anyway I enjoy DA shooting much more. I'm thinking to get a Ruger LCR22 or a S&W 317 snub to practice like crazy shooting DA.
Old February 1, 2014, 12:46 AM   #71
jason_iowa

Quote:
This is a wise man!

I tend to shoot more double action then single because i find it more engaging. I don't shoot competition so I concentrate on what will keep me sharp if I would need to use a weapon to defend myself and what is fun for me.

As long as you are being safe shoot it however you like.
Old February 1, 2014, 08:25 AM   #72
Dragline45

Always DA. I notice barely any accuracy improvement when shooting single action. Takes alot of practice though, and in the case of DA shooting, dry firing is your friend.
Old February 2, 2014, 02:42 PM   #73
Guv

You need a thumb to shoot a double action revolver?
Old February 7, 2014, 05:15 PM   #74
ShootingNut

Range Report, I took a poster's advice. Bought some snap caps, dry fired a few days before hitting the range. Told myself it is ONLY D/A today, and amazed myself at how well I did (for me).
No more SA for me, I am hooked shooting DA from now on with my only wheelgun in my modest collection.
I will say, I spend more time cleaning my revolver though, than it takes to
clean one of my autos. I am fussy though, maybe that's my problem when cleaning. Sorry to get off subject.
I'm now a happy DA shooter!
SN