The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 9, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
the_don

help, damp black powder ?

hey guys i been reading post for about a week now and i am amazed at all the information and stories you have here.

anyway i got out my .50 cal cva inline muzzleloader to zero in my new scope and when i got to the range i found my powder pellets must have drawn damp over the winter months and wouldnt fire. just looking and handling the pellets you cant tell their damp but i only had 1 set of pellets fire out of the 10 i tried. and it is verry damp in the room i stored the pellets in. my question is, is there a way to dry these powder pellets or just take the loss and throw them out.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
g.willikers

I've had success in drying BPowder out.
Just don't use the stove.
Try laying them out in the hot sun.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
brushhippie

Itll dry out and be fine, as a matter of fact you have to wet home made powder to screen it.
Old June 9, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
g.willikers

Yeah, as brushhippie says, BP gets wet a couple of times before we get it.
Probably, at some point during the mixing of the components, just for safety.
But, really, don't use the stove.
When I was a kid, one of the other kids in the neighborhood used to make all our fireworks for us.
One day he tried to reinvent the wheel, and was sure that heating up the home made BP would make it more potent.
You know those old movies, where things go blooey, and everyone in the vicinity stumbles out of the smoke all covered in soot and singed around the edges?
That's what he looked like.
Old June 9, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
the_don

ok thanks guys .. i was thinking about just sitting it out in the sun for a while but wasnt sure if it would work, hope its dry soon this stuff isnt cheap no more, thanks again for all your responses
Old June 9, 2012, 07:54 PM   #6
mykeal

Um, bp pellets? Does bp come in pellets? Perhaps they're Pyrodex or 777 pellets?

Pyrodex and 777 degrade significantly when stored in open air, especially if it's humid. BP can be restored if dried out, but I doubt Pyrodex or 777 can. Even if it dries out I believe it'll still be damaged.
Old June 10, 2012, 01:26 AM   #7
arcticap

They really should be stored in an airtight container just like with loose powder.
Old June 10, 2012, 08:19 PM   #8
the_don

yeah theyre pyrodex pellets.. i have a box for them ordered, i had them in the sun for about 6 hrs yesterday and a few thismorning they seem to be ok all loads fired today
Old June 11, 2012, 06:47 AM   #9
mykeal

Quote:
they seem to be ok all loads fired today
But at very likely reduced velocity.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

There's a Revolutionary War account written by a soldier, letter to home, I think, describing how an entire wagonload of cartridges got soaked.

All of the cartridges were disassembled, the powder and paper put on blankets in the sun to dry, and then reassembled.

Sounds tedious as hell.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:57 AM   #11
mykeal

"You're in the Army now/You're not behind the plow..."
Old June 11, 2012, 07:40 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

Pyrodex is not black powder.
The pellets are ruined. Use for garden fertilizer.
Old June 11, 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
brushhippie

clearly if they fired they are not ruined ...and the way I understand it there is little difference between BP and BP subs, but Im sure Im wrong about that.... go ahead and pile on.
Old June 11, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
g.willikers

The only difference that's been obvious, between BP and the substitutes, is the smell.
Or in the case of 777, thankfully, the distinct lack of it.
Don't care what you old timey traditionalists say, sulfur just downright stinks!
Old June 11, 2012, 09:59 AM   #15
noelf2

Quote:
and the way I understand it there is little difference between BP and BP subs
Depends on what you mean by "difference". The subs chemical/physical/combustion properties are way different, some more "way different" than others. They are very similar in that they all produce black powder like pressures and velocities with similar volumetric loads.

Quote:
The pellets are ruined. Use for garden fertilizer.
+1 Even if they fire, they can not be trusted to get the job done.
Old June 11, 2012, 10:14 AM   #16
brushhippie

they can not be trusted to get the job done.

Heck if they shove a ball out the end and it goes boom its gettin the job done....now if you're on your back and some guys standing over you with an axe....no I wouldnt trust them!
Old June 11, 2012, 02:41 PM   #17
noelf2

Quote:
Heck if they shove a ball out the end and it goes boom its gettin the job done....now if you're on your back and some guys standing over you with an axe....no I wouldnt trust them!
Or if that no good rotton tree stump jumps up at you again...! I don't think I would want to leave one of them without putting a couple holes in it. God forbid my gun goes boom and the ball rolls out onto my foot in a situation like that.

Seriously though, those iffy pyrodex pellets would be better entertainment if pitched into a bonfire.

Last edited by noelf2; June 11, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #18
Smokin_Gun

The differance is that subs ain't Black Powder and anyone that knows can tell you there is a differance ... get a Pound of KIK or Goex, and a lb. of Triple Se7en and try to get groups with 777 that you got with the Black Powder from the same Revolver ...
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 12, 2012, 06:34 PM   #19
brushhippie

...not changing the fact that dampness is not going to render it useless. But thanks professor.... anybody that knows really should tell me, please explain. The way I understand it, it is made from the same ingredients with graphite and pottasium perchlorate blah blah whatever else they add, but once again ....pretty similar.

Last edited by brushhippie; June 12, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old June 13, 2012, 06:06 AM   #20
noelf2

Ingredients aren't very similar. Not like comparing pancakes to waffles (same basic ingredients). More like comparing chicken and tofu. You eat them both the same way, but its harder to catch a tofu...
Old June 13, 2012, 08:06 AM   #21
brushhippie

I guess what you read here (internet)is not necessarily true...what I found. anyway I have had wet powder since I make my own but have not had wet pyrodex....sounds like a good experiment and I am dying to know whats in pyrodex since I keep hearing how different it is but no real explanation....help me out fellers I dont like having bad info...

Hodgdon's Pyrodex was the first widely available substitute on the market. Pyrodex is less sensitive to ignition than black powder, and uses the same shipping and storage guidelines as smokeless powder. Pyrodex is more energetic per unit of mass than black powder, but it is less dense, and can be substituted at a 1:1 ratio by volume for black powder in many applications.[1] Pyrodex is similar in composition to black powder, consisting primarily of charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate, but it also contains graphite and potassium perchlorate, plus additional ingredients protected by trade secret.

now this is different, but not what we were talking about....

Hodgdon also makes Triple Seven, one of the family of sulfurless black powder substitutes. Triple Seven and Black Mag3 are more energetic than black powder, and produce higher velocities and pressures. Still burning carbon, the carbon-based fuel burned here is from the sugar family, not from charcoal.
Old June 13, 2012, 10:39 AM   #22
thallub

Pyrodex pellets have a black powder igniter on one end: Its darker in color than the rest of the pellet. The igniter end should go down the barrel first.
Old June 13, 2012, 05:24 PM   #23
brushhippie

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/black_powder.htm
This may help